Thread: adult german shepherd pees on the barbecue, how to get him to stop?

adult german shepherd pees on the barbecue, how to get him to stop?

Our german shepherd is 6 years old, and pees continuously on our barbecue. It is disgusting. We have a big yard (17,000 square feet) and he has free roam. He can, and does pee wherever he wants, but ever since we got this new barbecue (about 2 years ago) he has started peeing on the bbq and the walls of the house.

We have tried putting up obstacles, we would put filled water bottles all around it, so it was harder to access, that worked for about two days, then he just started peeing near it. We have tried washing it down with bleach water, spraying it with vinegar. I tried dumping water on him if I saw him do it, but he doesn't usually do it when we are around, so that seemed to be a punishment and non-productive, so I decided not to do it again.
    We yell at him if we catch him in the act, but it doesn't seem to help.
    We have no other animals (well we have chickens, but they have their own space, and I don't think he is marking territory for their sake), and the one cat who used to run the gauntlet across our yard got too close to getting caught by the dog, and has since changed his route.

He is a great dog, not very well trained, he only listens to me (and is very responsive), but otherwise is horrible on the leash, which I shamefully have never worked on, we don't do a lot of walks on the leash, as where we live there are more mountains, open fields and cows than their are people.

I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have, it is really gross and it stinks, and is definitely not sanitary, especially with two little kids running around.

First question, is he neutered?

Now, he is definitely marking "his territory," and why he has chosen that is a mystery, but can you move the barbecue to a different spot, and clean it thoroughly with bleach? Is there some other significance to that particular spot?

In the meantime, work on some training with him, and with other family members, keep that shepherd brain working! Does he herd the chickens or the children?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    First question, is he neutered?

Now, he is definitely marking "his territory," and why he has chosen that is a mystery, but can you move the barbecue to a different spot, and clean it thoroughly with bleach? Is there some other significance to that particular spot?

In the meantime, work on some training with him, and with other family members, keep that shepherd brain working! Does he herd the chickens or the children?

The BBQ is on wheels, so we have moved it MANY times, and for some reason he just follows it! We wash with bleach at least twice a week, depending on how much time we have...otherwise it stinks!

I am thinking of getting our older son (almost 3 yrs old) to start leash training the dog. He loves walking him on the leash, and I have noticed that the dog doesn't pull with him (although my son knows to let go if he does pull). I think it will be a fun way for them to establish mutual respect and a loving relationship.

Thank you so much for your comment! I think I have been neglecting the dog a little since the kids were born, having 2 kids under 2 years has definitely pushed him aside. We need to work on integrating him better into our activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancholito View Post
    I am thinking of getting our older son (almost 3 yrs old) to start leash training the dog. He loves walking him on the leash, and I have noticed that the dog doesn't pull with him (although my son knows to let go if he does pull). I think it will be a fun way for them to establish mutual respect and a loving relationship.

Thank you so much for your comment! I think I have been neglecting the dog a little since the kids were born, having 2 kids under 2 years has definitely pushed him aside. We need to work on integrating him better into our activities.
    That will definitely help! That is a real puzzle, hopefully some others will chime in!
    I've Been Frosted

Here are a few answers I found on the internet I copied and pasted below Good Luck

1.He's most likely peeing there because of the smell of food omitting from the grill as well as the smell of other animals being drawn to that grill. He's laying out his sent to demonstrate to the other animals that this is HIS space. Your current methods have taught him to only spray when you are not looking.

2.You may need to step up and act like the alpha, claim your 'right' to the grill. I would start off cleaning the grill and area with a Ammonia Vinegar mix spray (remember to keep Ammonia away from Bleach, never mix the two). Let this become 'your' sent. (White vinegar makes a great cleaning solution so I would also use this to clean other parts of the house, to lay out 'your' scent). I would make sure you clean the grill often.

3.I have a mixture of 3 parts vinigar 1 part water 10 drops of tobasco made up to deter my dog. Cover the intier thing in it until she gets the dift.

4.Your response will have to be two-fold. First, you need to GET RID of the odor. That isn't always easy, as dogs have very powerful noses. For light saturation, spray-soaking rubbing alcohol and lysol on the spot (get it good and wet, then let it dry)

5.Enzymes
    If he keeps going back to the same places, he's probably still able to smell the urine. You need to use a special, enzyme based cleanser, which you can get at any pet store. Dogs will gravitate towards the smell of urine, which is hard to cover up. Until the enzyme cleaner is used, the smell will remain, whether a human nose can tell, or not.

I forgot to say in my initial reply, no, he is not neutered. He was originally my parents-in-law's dog. At about 4 months I noticed he was jumping on everyone, and it was a real free-for-all, and they thought it was the cutest thing. I insisted that as soon as he his the 80 llb mark they would change their tune, so I volunteered to take him to doggy school, but as he wasnėt my dog, I couldn't go get him neutered. I tried my best to convince them, but my mother-in-law just said "oh, poor thing", and I just struggled to keep my mouth shut.
    At 9 months, (after 5 months of dog school and him showing to be a great student (for me) they decided that they couldn't keep him in their apartment. Without asking if I wanted him, my husband's mother gave him away
    Luckily the family who took him realized that their dog wouldn't accept him, so they gave him back, and I took him.
    We now live in a duplex with the in-laws, and the dog has sort of re-become everyone's pup.
    Too much info to say he is not neutered, I would have liked to, but at 9 months the vet said it wouldn't help much anyway. I partially think that was bad advice, I think at that age it was hit or miss, but was is done is done, and at 6 years I don't think it would help anymore.