Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear 1995-2009 (13, nearly 14)

Bear 1995-2009 (13, nearly 14)

After typing, and retyping, and retyping..

I think it's the racing mind and the sleep deprivation, and slight depression.. but anyway, we (my family) will be taking our cat Bear to the Vet at 11:30 AM to be put to rest. He has an invasive cancerous tumor of the lower jaw, left side, and has been causing him troubles with eating, and seems to constantly goop blood - just not at a rapid/fatal rate. We were offered the "opportunity" to put him to sleep the day we came in, thinking it was just a gum disease (not having really felt his jaw to check for a tumor), but being as my mother and I were the only ones there and at how hard it hit us.. we figured it'd be better if we took him home for the rest of the week.

Well, now the rest of the week has past - we're all out of Fancy Feast, and it seems Sylvester will be our sole housecat starting 11:30 AM.. which makes me feel even worse, because the two are like brothers - not literally, but he'll miss him just as much as we will..

I love you Bear, we all do.. I'm sorry you couldn't of lived longer, healthily.. I really feel silly now saying you'd live to be 25, or maybe even older.. but like your true owner says (my brother).. you had a good run. I hope you have a wonderful rest.. We will always miss and love you.

Some pictures, taken by my younger sister back in about June maybe..

We have much better photos lying around.. hehe, as you see he's actually quite lazy. >_>

This is the first time I've lost a cat, or any animal.. or any being that's close to me. I lost a Dog long ago, but circumstances were much different.. this, this was just a complete surprise - and shattered what was left of my naivety. (I'm 19, so I'm sure this won't be the first pet I'll lose down the long road..)

We're all going to the Vet I'm sure, but my mother will be the one who accompanies him to be put to sleep.

It's going to be quite different around here for awhile.. no more seeing our fat buddy laying around in the most random corners, baskets, blankets.. no more hearing his roaring purr everytime you barely hovered over him with your hand. Been around since I was 5.. since he was born, never did I once think he'd die - not like this. (Not because of some damn tumor..)

PS - Sorry for those who read and get thrown off by anything in the post.. it's 3 AM Central, and so I could have some poor grammar or.. just.. stupid writing.. Thank you to anyone who cares to read though.

I've been exactly where you are just this past July in fact. My Taz was 14 years old and had failing kidneys. He was my first pet in my adult life that I had to let go. I still struggle with the fact that maybe it was too soon. But deep in my heart I know I did the right thing for him. Just as you and your family are doing for Bear.
    Here is a popluar story to help us feel better when we have to make these decisions.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

So take comfort that Bear is at the Rainbow Bridge patiently waiting for the day he is reunited with you and your family. And I'm sure my Taz (and several other pets) will show him around.

RIP Bear you were/are a beautiful, very loved kitty.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    What a beautiful boy that Bear is, and I'm so sorry that you have to let him go on to RB. It's a very brave and loving thing that you do for him - to let him be at peace before he would have to suffer thru a long and painful ordeal. You're doing what's best for him, and he loves you for that.

Unfortunately, there have been other PT kitties her recently with the same form of cancer. It seems to be more common than I had ever realized.

RIP beautiful Bear, and peace to your family.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Rest in peace, handsome Bear. You will live on forever in your family's hearts, and likely in the presence of little white hairs, woven into the fabric of their lives and homes.
    I've Been Frosted

I am so very sorry. What a handsome boy! Rest in peace, dearest Bear. You are loved so very much.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family, joeymlib.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

So sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful cat. It is never easy to say good-bye to a pet. Be comforted in knowing that this is the most humane thing you can ever do for your kitty. He will not suffer when the vet puts him to rest. He will just go to sleep peacefully. Hugs and prayers.

Thank you, very much.. and the comment about furs, you're right - I don't think we'll ever get them all out of the house.

It was a lot more peaceful than I thought it would be.. My sister, mom, stepdad, and stepbrother as well as I were all there - and we had him cuddled into this big fluffy towel/blanket. Calm and polite to the very end - They took him and put an IV into his right forearm and let us have a lot of time with him, still cuddled in his blanket. When we decided it was time the Doctor came in and did what she had to do - and it was hard, you don't want to look but you look.. and my mom was holding him and closed his eyes when it was done, but you keep looking over and at a point you see a life and then the next you know he's gone.

They let us take him home in a box, I'm unsure how many feel about that - it was a big sturdy box though, buried him deep and gave him a little memorial. (My mom and sister wanted to do this very badly it seemed), found a big rock that seemed to fit perfectly as sort of a tombstone, and we let it all be.

I love you Bear, I'm glad you're in a much better place.. You'll live on forever in our hearts and minds.

Thank you for all the precious years too..

And again, thanks to everyone who replied - the RB story was great, made me cry but it was a good cry.. and the condolences are nice. He was a very beautiful boy, well still is in my memory..

I'm sorry for what you and your family are going through, and I know exactly the pain you're in. It's an awful disease.

Godspeed to the Bridge, dear Bear, look for my kitty Jamara there; she went to the Bridge with the same disease eight years ago. She'll show you the ropes! Peace to your family; you will leave a big pawprint on their hearts.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

RIP Bear. Play hard at the bridge
    Prayers to you and your family during this difficult time

It hurts so much to lose them. I still cry over my Kitty Girl. She left us almost two years ago. The pain is much better, but every time I read a pet memorial, I think of Kitty. I loved her so much!!! You did the right thing, but that doesn't make it hurt any less.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I'm sorry to hear this story of loss. I know exactly what you're going through, I lost my beloved Jack over a year ago and it still hurts like it was yesterday.
    RIP Bear, and have such fun and peace at the bridge.

Unfortunately, many of us here on PT have been in your position where we've had to help one or more of our beloved furkids to the Bridge. No matter how long they're with us, it's so painful when they have to leave. You and your mom are doing the last act of kindness for Bear and he loves you even more for not allowing him to suffer. RIP, sweet, fluffy, beautiful bear and peace to your humans.

A candle for Bear:

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...ng&cid=9432390
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I am so very, very sorry for your loss of beautiful Bear. I know how much it hurts to lose a friend. One week ago I had to send my 15 year old border collie cross Sasha to the bridge. It is very hard to have loved for so long and let go. Hugs for you in this time of sadness.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

It was no nice of you to lay Bear to rest in the home that he loved so well, and near the Family who love him so much.
    Now when Bear is travelling with the Awesome Angel Army, he can bring them all by and show them the people who made him so happy, and took him in when he was in so much pain, and gave him a merciful and painless passing.
    Tonight its a Big Dinner at the Waters Edge Restauarnat , swimming with the Dolphins at the Dolphin Connection and then an All Night Party at the Hawks Cay Resort!!
    Bear will always love His Family and will start his search among the Finest Places in the World to find the right spot we you can all be together once more in love.
    One Fine Day
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thank you guys, again - for those who continue to post and pay respects. I'm surprised it got many posts heheh, but then again he was a great cat.. likes all cats and dogs - It is sad to see the ones that are close at heart go away.

The other household pets have taken a notice to his passing it seems - The dogs have respected his grave, leaving their paw marks only.. we were worried they would try to dig him up (but he is quite deep down). Our other house cat, Sylvester, won't meow - he's been laying around lethargically, and it seems losing his best friend may have hit him more than the rest of us.

He seems quite happy otherwise, though - lovey and cuddly, but because of this scare with Bear we are taking him in for a checkup next week to make sure all is well.

Contemplating finding a new buddy for him, but it's amazing he got along with Bear at all.. he seems to be anti-social among cats. Still a cutey and a sweetheart nonetheless..

I like that Candle very much, Medusa - I've bookmarked it, and I am very sure Bear is happy to see so many people sending their best wishes and prayers. I'm glad we did this - in a way, it's sad to of lost him.. but it would of been sadder to see him degrade.

Again, R.I.P Good Bear.
    See ya again one of these days..

PS - Is it odd that little white mounds of anything look exactly like him at first glance?
    Like blankets.. neh, I don't think that'll go away from awhile.

EDIT:

My sister had been taking a lot of pictures his final hours, and this one and another were very precious in a way.. The one he looks quite different, well smaller, than the pictures in the original post of course. He's wrapped up in the beach towel/blanket towel we buried him with. The other one was quite incidental, and my sister and most of the family loves and finds it kind of odd/cool - She sat in the seat behind our mom who was holding Bear along the ride to the Vet, and she took a picture of the right door mirror - As you can see, the street sign kind of looks like a cross as he looks onward..