Thread: URGENT! Possible OVER DOSE**UPDATE #8

URGENT! Possible OVER DOSE**UPDATE #8

forgive me if I ramble... just got in from work. my room mate met me at the door in tears. She thought she was giving Scruffy B and Spunky B the antihistamine, but after she'd done it she noticed that the bottle was Stormy's prozac...

She called the emergency Vet and they of course wouldn't give any concrete answers except to say we should bring them in. We're strapped for money as it is w/the current medical issues. The nurse said to look for tremors, convulsions....

The bottle is marked 1/2 per day. Reconcile 8mg.....

We checked the med on line and the normal dosage for cats is 1-5mg a day. There fore we're assuming that Stormy's pills, which are cut in half, are 4 mg....

Has anyone here had any similar experience?

Needless to say, THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS for the babies AND my room mate Ellie.

Will keep you posted.
    Last edited by LionHart; 10-23-2009 at 11:12 AM.
    Help support ferals

Try calling Angell Memorial in Boston - they may be able to give you a better answer. (617) 522-7282 They are local to us, and world renowned in there animal medicine department.
    I've Been Frosted

thanks, will give them a call
    Help support ferals

Called the #, they couldn't give me any info over the phone about it, but they did give me the # of animal poison control. I called but they wanted $70 for a consultation.... I know that the kitties' health is priceless, but when you don't have the $$ what are you to do?

In the mean time, it's been well over an hour now and the kids are up PLAYING!

Ellen, my room mate has done some research and found that the lowest dose of reconcile is 4mg for aprox 5 lbs and up. Our kids weight about 4 so that makes up feel some better.

Again, as I type this, they're awake and playing! Thank God!

Will keep you posted.

Again thank you.

Lori Be...
    Help support ferals

i have 2 cats that need prednisone...5 mills a day.
    but i weeded it down to half that a day recently.
    i think 8 mill's won't kill them....accually i know it won't.
    my vet had to give one cat 10 mill's to stop his coughing in a shringe i think.
    it was a long time ago so i forgot if he said 10 or 20 mill's....his cough was just terrible!!
    but i'll say 10 to be safe...don't worry

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

I am so glad that Our Friend Carla knew the answer!
    We can old offer prayers , but Our Friend at Cat Family has the expertise!
    We are sending Our Prayers that alls well!!
    We LOVE Scruffy B and Spunky B!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I can only send prayers and good thoughts; I have no experience with it. It sounds like it's OK, though.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Since they're up, playing and using the litterbox, I'd just keep an eye on them. Prozac has been prescribed for cats in the past. I remember one time my cat chewed a Effexor capsule! I really panicked because I know what Effexor did to me (put me in a drunken stupor). I called the vet and he told me that since the capsule was only chewed a little, chances are he'd be okay. Turned out he was okay.

I'm just glad to hear that your kitties are playing and aren't suffering any kind of bad side effects.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Again I can't thank the PT members enough for your kind words, you've been a comfort.

Well, it's been over 12 hrs and there seems to be no ill affects of the accidental Prozac dose. We were up till the wee hours keeping an eye on the babies and they didn't seem in the least bit affected. They played, ate, pottied, and slept. In fact they're pretty much back to normal with only a sneeze now and then. Seems like the virus is heading out now, Thank God.

Again, thank you for your comments, thoughts and prayers, you folks are amazing!
    Help support ferals

I'm so sorry. I just saw this. So glad things seem to be turning out well!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just saw this this morning but didn't have any advice.
    I am very glad to hear they are okay. I'm sure that was a very scary thing to go through.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)