Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The most terrifying experience of my life to date

The most terrifying experience of my life to date

Last nigth We went to bed about midnight. At 2 am Beezer barks... it of course wakes me up and I see a flash in the back yard. Beezer continues to bark and bark and I keep seeing these flashes. I creep down the hallway and peek aroudn the corner so I can see the back door (which we forgot to lock BTW). I tell Brian there is someone in our backyard and he grabs his gun and comes out to where I am. At this point a man appears at the door with a flashlight looking in the house. He sees my head peeking around the corner... I should have moved but I was scared stiff. Beezer was FREAKING. He was charging the door and growling and barking. if he had have opened that door he would have had a new hole or two courtesy of Beezer. Belle was just dancing around like an idiot lol

At that point he said "Is this number 217" I said "no" and Brian told him to get away from the house now and he left. After a minute we see the flashlights next door in the neighbors backyard (these are the new neighbors we have been having trouble with). Brian Looks out the door and sees two men looking aroudn the neighbors yard with flashlights and he lets the dogs out and then see's the badges on their uniform. they were cops. Brian goes out on to the porch and says "Are you police" and they said yes and then we could see their uniforms.

so now I don't know if I am more freaked out that someone was just in our yard or the fact that the cops are searching yards for someone (presumably one of our neighbors)

The most infuriating part is WHY did that cop NOT announce that he was police when he came onto our property, unlatched the gate and came into our back yard and onto my porch and looked in my house. he should have immediately said "Lancaster police. Is this house 217" or something. but they did not announce themselves.

I was TERRIFIED. Hannah slept through the whole thing.

Brian called the police station today to make a little complaint. talked to the sargeant or someone and found out that our neighbor was involved in a high speed chase... lost the cops but they got his plate number and tracked him back to the house next door so they were searching for him. They did find him and he was arrested. we saw them make the arrest out front but couldnt' see who it was or anything. and then Brian told him that they did NOT announce who they were at all and how dangerous of a situation that could have been. As far as we knew they were intruders. I mean a large man standing at my back door at 2 am? what am I supposed to think?

The sargeant or whoever it was he talked to was pretty disappointed that this happened and that they didn't announce that they were police as that should ahve been the first words out of their mouth. or they should have come to the door and told us before breaking into our yard and scaring the ever living daylights out of us.

I haven't slept since lol. I'm so freaked out.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Holy cow!
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I am glad the sergeant in charge said they should have announced who they were, especially once Beezer started barking, which I am SURE they must have heard! I am glad they caught the guy, sorry your adrenaline kept you up, but I hope you gave Beezer a big hug and a biscuit for being a good watch dog.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I would file a formal complaint. That's a pretty darn irresponsible act by a police department. Fortunately, Brian wasn't a trigger happy guy. That whole incident could have had a disastrous outcome.

Glad that you're all okay!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

yeah not only did he hear beezer barking but he SAW him. when he came to the back door Beezer charged the door barking and growling. Then he started shining the flashlight in and saw my head poking around the corner. thats when he asked me if this was #217 ... he should have started with "lancaster police"

he HAD to have known I would be terrified seeing a strange man at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I would file a formal complaint. That's a pretty darn irresponsible act by a police department. Fortunately, Brian wasn't a trigger happy guy. That whole incident could have had a disastrous outcome.

Glad that you're all okay!
    that's what he said when the talked to the guy at the police station when he called. that kind of irresponsibility can result in death . and even the sargeant guy said that is why they need to announce themselves because IF Brian had fired he would have been within his rights as t hey were on our property ... at my door which was unlocked and did not announce who he was. I certainly have never felt more threatened in my life or that my life could have been in danger. for all we knew he was trying to break in or something. You don't prowl around someones yard and come to their back door at 2 am and not announce yourself.

When he asked if this was house 217 and I said no... he hightailed it off of our property pretty darn fast. He knew he was in the wrong.

I know how scary that is. We had a very similar situation about 1 1/2 years ago. I woke up to a helicopter circling with a spot light on our house/yard. It just wouldn't go away so Justin called the police to see what was going on. They told us that they were after someone who was believed to be in our yard (we have 5 acres surrounded by woods on all sides). She then told us to turn on all our lights and call if we see anything suspicious. All 3 of us sat on the couch, Nathan watched cartoons. About 3 hours later (about 5:00 am) the helicopter left and the police cars started pulling out. Justin called police station again and they said the guy was caught on the side of our yard, by the woods.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

That cop was lucky he didn't get shot. What would have happened if beezer was outside? I shudder to think.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

That is pretty terrifying. When I lived by myself in an apartment for the first time every little noise scared me, even now sometimes things scare and my husband just thinks I'm silly.

I remember one night the neighbors upstairs were making so much noise it was crazy, there was banging going on and it sounded like some guys were having a fight and all I could keep thinking was they were going to punch a hole through the wall, I tried to call the local police # from the phone book and ended up getting the state troppers I believe so by the time I got the correct number I heard some shouting outside and I peaked through my drapes and saw several cops outside asking the neighbors to come downstairs.

I was glad the cops showed up when they did and I've seen them a couple of times walking around our buildings late at night, not so much anymore but I know sometimes they do patrol from their car.

I hope things go better tonight for you.

Melissa

Well, I sure was scared, just reading this. I can't imagine how YOU felt!

Glad all turned out well. Brian did right phoning in to let them know about that lack of identification.

Hugs to all of you, hope you catch up on that sleep tonight.

Oh and Beezer deserves major hugs and treats, lol!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm not sure of the law now, but it used to be, that if Brian had fired at someone outside of the house, he could be charged, even tho that person was on your property. If the person had been inside the house, Brian would have been justified to shoot.

My ex always told me that if I shoot an intruder that is outside, be sure to drag him inside before I call the cops.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I'm not sure of the law now, but it used to be, that if Brian had fired at someone outside of the house, he could be charged, even tho that person was on your property. If the person had been inside the house, Brian would have been justified to shoot.

My ex always told me that if I shoot an intruder that is outside, be sure to drag him inside before I call the cops.
    I have always heard that also. Of course you have to wipe up the drag marks after
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

yeah Brian wouldn't have shot anyway unless he actually tried to come in the house. He shouted out a warning for him first and the cop hightailed it off our property when I told him he had the wrong house. he was WAY in the wrong and knew it.

Beezer has definitely been getting special treatment for being such a good boy and alerting us to the problem and defending his house. We offered for him to come sleep in the bed with us but he wanted to stay out in the living room and patrol.

but he got a big slice of cheese and some big lovins.

It amazes me the difference in their reaction. Beezer KNEW something was WRONG. Belle... she had no idea. she was just very excited about the whole thing lol.

yeah we didn't let beezer out until we saw they guys were on the other side of the fence. I too fear what would have happened had he been in the yard when the cop opened our gate and came in.

Dont you just love new neighbors.. Heck I would have been Freeked too.. I cant beleive those stupid cops did not announce who they was.. Heck Brian could have shot at one of them.. He would have had every right too.. You know he has to protect his family & home.. I hope those cops got told the right act.. Now for the neighbors = you might have just got rid of them.. They wont come home knowing the cops are after them..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Dont you just love new neighbors.. Heck I would have been Freeked too.. I cant beleive those stupid cops did not announce who they was.. Heck Brian could have shot at one of them.. He would have had every right too.. You know he has to protect his family & home.. I hope those cops got told the right act.. Now for the neighbors = you might have just got rid of them.. They wont come home knowing the cops are after them..
    That's what I was hoping... that this would get rid of them.

but nope... today they were out washing their cars and mowing the yard and acting like nothing happened :O