Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my Sadie dog - 8/7/92 - 10/9/09

my Sadie dog - 8/7/92 - 10/9/09

I am so sad that it has come time for me to post in this section. On 10/9/2009 I had to put Sadie to sleep. She had been suffering from kidney disease for years and congestive heart failure for over 1 year. It was her kidneys that ultimately gave up first.

She had slowed down a lot but it was only the last week that was really bad and the reason for my decision. By the time I was at the vet it had been a week since she really ate. I know she would have died of starvation, possibly within days, but still I have guilt that I killed my dog. I believe euthanasia is a good thing, but that does not stop the guilt.

Sadie, I miss you so much. You were with me over 16 years of your 17. How can I get use to you not being here. Looking at your youthful pictures I am coming to terms with the fact that your quality of life was deteriorating and you really weren't as happy as you once were. I remember our younger years and that makes me smile.

Oct 21, 2009 is Sadie's funeral. I can go to the cemetery, have a viewing, and witness the cremation. I am thankful I can do this and that I can see her one last time. After that her ashes will forever be with me.

The difference in the pictures is amazing, but her last week she did perk up her ears for one last picture.
    10/4/2009 - 17 years old

1996 - 3-4 years old

I have much to be thankful for - I never took her companionship for granted and I spoiled her rotten. She had a long life for a dog but still I want more.

Even at age 14 she could jump thru an agility course. She was still pretty active til the last few months.

Unhappy

Oh. Oh my gosh.... I don't really know what to say... other than I am SO SORRY to hear about your Sadie baby. She obviously had a VERY good life-extremly spoiled, loved, and very well taken care of.

As you probably know, I too have a black Lab Sadie May. She is 13 years old as we speak. Gosh, I do not know how I am going to get on with life without my childhood friend.

Again, I am so so so sorry.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I'm so sorry for your loss of your dear Sadie. She lived a good long life with you and was very loved. Please release yourself from the guilt. Sometimes letting our beloved furkids go is an act of kindness, nothing for you to feel guilty about. {{{hugs}}}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Unhappy

I'm so very sorry, Sabies. Sadie was a beautiful girl and reminds me of my Rocky. Please don't beat yourself up, you did the best thing for Sadie and I know she loves you and will be your guardian angel. (((hugs))) You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. My Rocky and Jenny will show her the ropes! RIP sweet Sadie, you were very much loved and still are.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Rest in peace, grand lady Sadie. You presence here on earth will never be forgotten!
    I've Been Frosted

Adding my condolences to the list. You gave her a most wonderful life. That's the best that any of us can do for our furkids. She surely was dearly loved and loved in return.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

I am so sorry Sadie passed on. Sometimes I think our dogs linger
    on as long as they do for love of us. They can be racked with pain, but
    still try to please their people. I have to believe it's the last kindness
    we can give them to let them go with dignity.

Rest In Peace Sadie.,
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am so sorry. I know the courage it took to post this story. How terribly heartbreaking. She looked like such a sweet girl. Having a funeral for her is the most special thing you can do for her, for you, and the family. I know it's hard to have to make the decision on what to do. I have never fancied myself as a person that can make such decisions. None of us have. We just do the best we can do and hope and pray we've done the right thing. You've done the right thing. She had a wonderful life and it was her time to go. God was calling her. I pray that God gives you the strength you need to make peace with yourself. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Rest In Peace Sweet Sadie The RB is a brighter place now that you've arrived.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I am so so sorry for your loss of Sadie. She was very old, and lived a long healthy and happy life with you. RIP beautiful girl!
    Last edited by Alysser; 10-18-2009 at 06:51 PM.

GodSpeed,Dearest Sadie...
    Hobo will be waiting for you at The Rainbow Bridge...
    You may heal together...
    My Heart goes out to your Pet Humans also at this time,I know what they are feeling....
    Sadie Is a Beatifl Girl
    She Will Be in Your Heart Forever
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

Sadie had a long wonderful life with you. Many dogs and people do not have that long together. She will forever live on in your heart and memories.
    It is wonderful that you get to have a funeral for her.

RIP Sadie
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I am so very, very sorry for your loss.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Thank you everyone for your support. It is nice to be able to reach out to people who really understand.

I have had other dogs but Sadie was the first dog that was all mine, as I started life on my own. She will always have a special place in my heart, moreso than any dog before or any dog that may be in my future.

I had forgotten how hard grief hits you. I'm still in shock that Sadie is gone but I'm feeling less guilty about my decision to end her suffering. It's so hard to let go.

Kaitlyn your Sadie reminds me of mine, give her and all your dogs big hugs for me. I hope your Sadie has many more good years!

Gayle - that last picture of Sasha really chokes me up, I know too well what you were going through at the time.

Gasp! I am so sorry for your loss. You both are so blessed and lucky that you had each other for 17 years. I know it doesn't make it easier, but it's so wonderful you had such a loving, spiritual relationship. I know you always will. Hugs and lots of .

I've been Boooo'd!