Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being Neighborly?

Our court used to have block parties back when I first moved in with Bruce 6 years ago. But since our neighbors moved we've only had one block party. We all know each other and would feel comfortable asking for help or anything. The only people we don't know is a young woman and her little boy that is renting the house directly across from us. But the other night the babysitter came over with the baby because she thought she saw someone climb over the fence in the backyard. I told her she could come to our house if she saw it again (I think it was the neighbors behind her that she saw).
    But our block parties were great! We included neighbors from streets adjoining our court. I really need to organize that again, but I get tired of being the one to be in charge.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

We haven't had many block parties here, maybe one that I could remember as a little kid. We know our neighbors across from us and to the right of us. The neighbor to the right of us just so happens to be my best friend LOL. The other neighbors...we had some problems with them a long time ago and we hardly see them outside anymore anyhow. We know most of the people down the street enough to wave at. Alot of my friends live on this street either further up or further down so our parents talk when they see each other. That's pretty much it. If someone on our block has an attitude they usually don't fit in well here.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I've never really known my neighbors well. I lived in trailer parks as a really young child, and probably knew my neighbors best then. I lived in apartments as an older child, and was inseparable with one of my neighbors (just found her on facebook, actually!), but didn't know any others. I lived in a house as a preteen, and kinda knew one of my neighbors but the kids were really rough and I didn't interact with them too often. I was good friends with a boy down the street, though.

My high school years were spent in Germany, and I didn't really interact much with my neighbors when we lived in German homes, and not a lot more when we lived in the American housing either. My best friend did live in a building right in front of mine when I was in Munich, though. That was awesome.

Overall, I've never lived anywhere that a wave wasn't returned. That seems really strange! I don't think I've ever been waved at and not waved back. The neighborhood we live in now with David's sister is really friendly, and I do know one set of neighbors by name. Everyone is always outside and I wave to anyone I see. I walk the dogs and Clara in her stroller and people always wave to us.

We have borrowed stuff from our neighbors before, and vice versa. Actually, David was talking to our neighbor (the husband of the couple that I know their names) about needing to borrow a pressure washer to clean a spot on the driveway, and the next day he came home and Scott had cleaned the spot for us. They're a really nice family. Shelley gave me a DVD and a hat at their last garage sale, when I tried to pay for them.

I would like to be closer to some of them, and I'm a super friendly person, but I guess I just don't make much of an effort. I am going to change that, though, after reading this thread.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I grew up in a rural area, but knew the neighbors very well. We were the second house from the corner, but we knew everyone from the corner house, 3 houses down from them and 4 houses down from us. Knew them by name, could ask them for favors, were babysat by them, worked with them, went to school with their kids.

I'm currently in an apartment complex and it's hard to get to know the neighbors. Many keep to themselves or people are constantly moving in and out (or being evicted), that it's often a moot point.

We are on a first name level with the neighbors right across the hall (owners of Calypso) and of the neighbors above (owner of Max). Takes the dogs to get us together and chat.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I know just about everyone's names that live on our street and the street next to us. I always try to be nice and wave if someone drives by, but then there's some of the snobby neighbors (and I'm not saying that to be mean, but they really NEVER wave and they seem rude) and I don't ever wave at them cause I've tried before and they ignore you so...but yeah I know about everyone on our street and most everyone is pretty friendly...sometimes/not often but sometimes we'll have a little chit-chat with someone
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

We live on a private drive with four houses. We know all our neighbors rather well, and we also know some other families in the neighborhood. We also had some rather serious problems with the neighbors on one side, but have long since resolved them and we're fine. We, as well as those neighbors, have been here since 2001 and we are the only owner of our house; we had it built. Their house had one previous owner and the other two houses have been resold since we've been here; we know the current and previous owners. We don't socialize with them, but are familiar, which in itself seems rather rare. There are so many neighbors that don't speak anymore.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

When I was growing up living in PA and then in S.C., I knew pretty much everyone in our neighborhood. Since I moved to CA, people seem to keep to themselves but in my parents neighborhood they've gotten to know some of their neighbors.

I live in a condo complex and I've only gotten to know a few neighbors because I've had water leaking problems. I really don't chat with any one and people tend to move out of their condos a lot so you never know who your current neighbors even are. I'm not the type to introduce myself to strangers very easily so I tend to just say hi and that's it.

We're out in the country, everyone has acreage, 2-3 or 5 acres. All of the original owners were fantastic , most have moved and new people have moved here but they're all nice people. Some we don't know the names but we still wave to each other if we're passing them on the street. A few of the neighbours we've become fast friends with . We trade favours daily with most of the neighbours, everyone is helpful to one another. One family at the far end that no one will look at but they aren't very nice people and the only ones in the neighbourhood who are like that.
    I do find people might not be as close as when we grew up but I think that's because both people work nowadays and there's less time to chat and visit . People lead busier lives today.
    On the whole we have a nice friendly street, everyone ready to lend a hand when needed.

I think that's sad. You don't have to live at a neighbor's house, but an acknowledgement with a wave or hello, isn't too much to ask.

I've lived here for over 35 years so the area changed a lot. Now with a younger crowd, racially mixed (I think that's a factor with friendliness... IMO.. that nobody is better than anyone else) my block is awesome. All single homes, so you're not on top of each other, but you can easilly walk onto someone else's yard. The kids are respectful. They help some elderly couples with snow shoveling, planting etc. We, and others also shovel the whole block if we start first. Someone else may follow up. We may not know everyone's name, but a car honk hello and a wave is constant. I am super friendly with my one neighbor and we borrow things, go out, take each other to doctor appointments, etc. We also have a gay couple, mixed race, newly married, LOTS of dogs. Even the folks who live on another block or around the corner and walk their dogs, stop and say hello if I'm outside.

I didn't mean to go on and on. I really think I'm blessed. I don't know how much longer I'll be here, whatever the reason, but this little 'ole block, rocks!

I've been Boooo'd!

We live between a rental house and an apartment complex, so our neighbors are always changing. Before the house became a rental we were really close with them, and still get together with that family from time to time. Over the years we've had a few really cool neighbors and a few bad.

We live in a small town though and my Dad usually goes all out with the Halloween and Christmas decorations, but has been slacking the last year or two. We were downtown the other day getting ice cream and some lady asked why our house wasn't decorated like usual. We had no idea who she is, but people in town seem to know us.

At the cabin where I stayed the last two summers it's crazy neighbor friendly. The neighbors have been the same since my Grandpa built the cabin though and their kids grew up with my Dad and his siblings. They'd invite me for dinner every Sunday and a few of their grandkids would visit and hang out with me. Even walking around the lake everybody will say hello and want to chat.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Growing up I knew all the neighbors for about 40 houses down either side of the road... which ended up being about the whole block! I loved that street. I still talk to most of them on Facebook. Where I live now, I talk to three of the neighbors and do waves and head nods at the rest.

Where my first husband and I lived, we knew just about all the neighbors. It was so friendly... but that is one huge difference between Texas and Arizona. Texas folk are friendlier.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I don't know any of my neighbors. We live in a small city with a street full of houses but do not interact with anyone. We used to speak with the man across the street and his family (my husband did, mostly) but he had to move when the house he rented went into foreclosure. I've tried being friendly, but most folks are non-responsive. My next door neighbors are a bit reclusive and look horrified if I speak to them. The house on the other side of us has been vacant for 4 years (some sort of nasty divorce thing). Many of the people on our block are renters and do not care to interact with the homeowners - don't seem to have much in common with my neighbors as well. I'm not super-friendly, but I do like to chat from time to time and wave hello, but this is not the place for it, it seems. I do my socializing off my block and in some ways thats ok, but I always have concern that if we needed help quickly we would have nowhere to turn. I grew up in a big city and the people were friendlier there than they are here (in NYC, as a matter of fact). We even had a sense of community on the express bus that I rode in to work when I lived on Staten Island. You saw the same people every day and inevitably made certain friendships. So much for nasty NY'ers!

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

I think apartment living vs. house living has a lot to do with how well you know your neighbors. My parents live in a lovely neighborhood, and we know ALL of the neighbors on that street. Most of them are very friendly, and everyone knows each other at a personal level. Its really nice.

I was used to being close to neighbors growing up, and it was a big shock to me when I got married and moved into an apartment. Its really hard to see the neighbors in an apartment complex because there are no garages and no front yards to sit in and relax. We never see anyone, and its incredibly hard to have any idea who your neighbors are. I guess everyone just opens their front door when they want to go out, and you just never get to see them or get to know them. I really miss the friendly neighborhood environment, and still enjoy meeting the neighbors when I go to my parents' place. Close neighborhoods are nice, and generally feel safe because you know there's always someone out there looking out for you and your home.