Thread: Training Help needed

Training Help needed

Does anybody know of any good web sites to find help with training my pit bull. He's really my daughter's dog, but she's away @ school & she has verbal command & I don't.
    He's a great dog, very loving, but I have a problem with his wanting to jump up to greet strangers. some of them don't care, they even like it, but then there are those who are frightened...
    any ideas?

Any chance you could take an obedience class with him? That would help your relationship with him, and help him understand you are in charge.

As for jumping up when visitors arrive, try having him on a leash when you know someone is coming, and telling him "sit," before you open the door, and encourage the visitor to ignore him, remind him "sit" if necessary, and once the visitor is inside, give him a treat and tell him good dog if he has stayed sitting .... You might have a friend help you practice this a few times, and be sure to be completely consistent so he gets the idea that when someone visits, his "job" is NOT to greet them, but to sit politely, and wait until you tell him okay before even budging.
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you for your suggestions Karen.
    While obedience training might be the best thing for the two of us to experience, at this time it's just not economically feasible. In the last year & 1/2 I was unemployed more than employed & my bills are outrageous... I hope to be on my feet soon, but that seems to be slow in coming.
    Maybe I'll look for a book or DVD to help me... I like the suggestions about ignoring the boy & giving him a treat for sitting still... I'll give those a try. Silly me, I keep forgetting that treats are a good way to train a pooch.