Thread: Pooping in the house =/

Hybrid View

Pooping in the house =/

Okay, so I got Mikey on September 26th. It's been like...2 weeks now and he is has improved tremendously in many areas. He hasn't peed too much in the house anymore, he goes mostly outside. But he poops in the house now, and it gets on my parents nerve and I don't want it to be on their LAST nerve or he's out the door, meaning we have to give him back. Not that I really believe that because I cannot even tell you how many times my mom has said this in the past 2 weeks, she loves that damn dog But anyway, I don't want it to come to that..EVER. He keeps pooping in the house, IN THE SAME SPOT! Which I find wierd...and we take him out before and then he comes straight in without pooing and then he will poop in the house in the living room. How do I stop this???

I love Mikey to death and I don't know how I can last without him, he's such an amazing dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Okay, so I got Mikey on September 26th. It's been like...2 weeks now and he is has improved tremendously in many areas. He hasn't peed too much in the house anymore, he goes mostly outside. But he poops in the house now, and it gets on my parents nerve and I don't want it to be on their LAST nerve or he's out the door, meaning we have to give him back. Not that I really believe that because I cannot even tell you how many times my mom has said this in the past 2 weeks, she loves that damn dog But anyway, I don't want it to come to that..EVER. He keeps pooping in the house, IN THE SAME SPOT! Which I find wierd...and we take him out before and then he comes straight in without pooing and then he will poop in the house in the living room. How do I stop this???

I love Mikey to death and I don't know how I can last without him, he's such an amazing dog.
    Okay - first, you need to get a good cleaner like Nature's Miracle to clean that spot. It uses enzymes to eliminate the stuff dogs can smell that say "good spot here!" that we cannot smell.

Now, be prepared to take him out, and stay outside until he actually poops. Wear a jacket, and be prepared to outlast him. When he does, praise, praise and praise! Do this consistently, and he will get the picture.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Now, be prepared to take him out, and stay outside until he actually poops. Wear a jacket, and be prepared to outlast him. When he does, praise, praise and praise! Do this consistently, and he will get the picture.
    Great advice. We had problems with RB Mandy wanting to poop in the basement as if she wanted to poop on cement. Maybe where she was before we got her, she had to poop on cement. Anyways, outside and nobody went back in until she pooped! Eventually, she stopped wanting to poop in the basement.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Everyone's advice sounds good. There really isn't anything you can do except to outlast Mikey.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I have this exact same problem with Sammy. Especially when it is cold or raining, he doesn't want to stay out long enough to poo. I've found staying out with him until he does poo, over and over again, solves the problem. (course every winter it happens over again )

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Sometimes, walking the dog helps get the insides moving so they go.

By now, you must have a routine in place? Set feeding times with the same type and amount of food daily? This leads to a set time when the dog has to poop. If you figure out when that is, should help you get him outside at the right time. Don't wait until the last minute!

Tasha is not yet house trained. But I know when she has to pee and poop and can usually have her outdoors at those times. When she goes outside, I go WILD with clapping, laughing, dancing, praise praise PRAISE, and a high value treat -- she LOVES bits of hot dog. (I get all beef, skinless, low salt all just for the dogs). This is one of the few times she gets hot dog, is when she "goes" outside. I also repeat the command over and over: do busies outie side! Hooray!

She is now at the point, at night, when I announce "last call, all doggies out" she knows she HAS to pee. She will walk around sniffing, getting her self "primed" to pee. Funny to watch. For a time, she would do the sniffing and then look at me, "was that it Mum? Is that what you want? Do I qualify for a bit of hot dog yet?" Not quite darling!

I use positive reinforcement, so when she goes inside she does not get told off. However, I make lots of noises about this being disgusting. (ick, yucky, bah) Not directed at her, but she is learning that is NOT a nice thing.

I feed at 4 PM daily, she in particular gets high fiber as she wasn't emptying her anal glands. The added fiber takes care of it. I now know she poops between 9:30 and 10 AM daily. So we are usually outside at that time. Sun, rain, we are out there. And I am doing happy dances when she goes. What the neighbors think, I don't wanna know! He he heee.

Hope this gives you some ideas to work with!