Thread: Hair coloring that's not tested on animals...

Hair coloring that's not tested on animals...

Okay, my gray hairs are coming in fast and furiously. I'm trying to go "green" anywhere I can. In the past I've used L'Oreal. Used it for years. I know I'm worth it, but the animals are more important.

I want to try using a hair color that is NOT tested on animals. I went online and could only come up with ones that are approved by PETA. The only one on their list is Revlon. I'd like to see what other options there are out there.

Does anyone here know of any other hair coloring that's not animal tested?

Appreciate the input.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Keep in mind that the more "natural" less chemicals, the shorter the lasting time. You will need to touch up more often. So price other options against one another with that in mind.

Try searching for these items. I am not saying they do or don't use animal testing, but they are more likely not to. Worth investigating further.

- Herbavita Vegetal Temporary Hair Color
    http://www.natural-living.com/herbatint_temp.php

- Herbatint 800-462-0666
    http://www.herbatint.co.uk/index.php

Naturcolor (permanent) (800) 462-0666

Pure Vegetable Hair Colors (henna and plant-based color) (800) 648-6654

Rainbow Henna (pure henna) (800) 722-9595

Ve Borne (permanent) (805) 981-1472

Indian Fire (natural vegetable color)

Igo Fleur (semi-permanent) (800) 234-4672 ext. 175

Paul Penders Color Me Naturally (temporary)

Light Mountain Henna Gray (pure henna) (800) 824-6396

Above taken from this:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...3/ai_21034492/

Read this as well for leads:
    http://www.natural-living-for-women....air-color.html

I need to check one more place, so I may add to this for you.

http://www.ecocolors.net/ specifically says no animal testing

http://www.light-mountain-hair-color.com/

http://www.lushusa.com/about/ specifically says no animal testing

OK there are quite a few sites. Put this in your Google search:
    vegetal hair color

It's a great point, Donna, thanks for raising it! I'll have to review and switch what I use, as well.

Why not just be au naturel?

I'm happy now that I became allergic to hair dye after using it for decades. I LOVE my gray, mixed in with my dark. I even get compliments which makes it all worthwhile.

Henna's didn't color my grays 'cause my hair's too porous, but it sure gave it a great shine!

I used Revlon when I did it myself and I had no problems with it. If I remember, I colored my hair evey 6 weeks.

I always try to remember to read the labels too and somewhere I have a PETA list.

I've been Boooo'd!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Be brave Donna - go natural!

I love well kept silver hair. Mine's mostly silver on the top and sides, but less in the back. If you use a shampoo specially formulated for gray/silver, it keeps that yellowish cast out of it, and it just glistens in the sun.

Be proud of the gray hairs - I'm sure you earned every one - just like I did!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh Ellie, you are too funny, Yeah, I sure have earned quite a few. But I look in the mirror and my hair screams

GRAY HAIR!!!!!

My friend Pam says I look good in it. I feel old. I may just to with Revlon.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

depending what tone you´d like you can also use manic panic... super safe.. not animal tested..and does not damage your hair one bit... it comes in many exotic colors.. but they also have normal shades of black, brown...
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Thanks, Isabel, I'll check it out!

I'd vote for "au naturel" also. I don't think I would be tempted to colour mine, too mush trouble for one thing. But a doctor was quoted as saying dyes can penetrate the scalp and cause cancer. Flaunt the grey , I don't think people really care about going grey anymore. I have some grey coming in and it just doesn't bother me.

I don't colour my hair- I can't be bothered with the upkeep. I don't think I have had my hair cut in a year or so...and it needs it! LOL.

I figure if I still weigh 30 pounds more than I should, why bother with the rest of the 'look'? (Only slightly kidding). Really, it is the cost, the time involved and the upkeep. Way too much trouble.

Why not use a color shampoo? It will look more natural but take the edge of the grey. Shampoo your hair with that once a week, you only leave it in for 2-5 min. I know you can get some in USA - not here though.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I used manic panic.. although I must say in red.. but I used it in the shower.. grabbed a strand colored it with my hands(gloved of course.. it was red.. hehe).. let it sit while I soaped.. like less than 5.. hehe and rinsed.. voilá vibrant red hair... and my hair is very light.. just as porous as grey hair.. so it should work.. AND you can add a few to your regular shampoo for "retouching".. could it be more simple.. just gotaa see if there´s a color ok for you..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

You could always try the pioneer method - either sage, or sage and rosemary, see http://www.pioneerthinking.com/graydye.html. Dunno if it works, but it'd be a nice fragrant thing to try, and cheap, too!
    I've Been Frosted