Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Appliance thread.

Old Appliance thread.

I love PT because you can toss out a question/problem and you get real answers- not Consumer Daily articles!

I was reading a thread about buying a laptop and I got to thinking about all my old appliances.

Can Openers are the cheapest pieces of crap on the planet. For 10 dollars you can have about 13 months of cans opening. The last three are sketchy, but fun!

My mom's CO was getting really bad, so I went out and bought a new one and walked into her house, unplugged the old one and chucked it out, into the back yard.

She stood there began to yell about opening cans and what she was going to use and what are you doing!!!!!

I took the new one out of the bag and plugged it in.

That began a real fun tradition with can openers.

--------------------

When one was on it's way out, she'd tell me it was time to get a new one - I think she loved to watch the old one fly out the back door! She's ask, When are you going to throw out the can opener?"

That was my clue to get a new one.

As she got older, she had problems holding big cans and getting them to open. I became her 'sous chef' and got to open her cans and spy on her recipes!

It was fun sitting in the kitchen with her, god, did we ever have a time talking, fighting, laughing and arguing....

Next time you have something that peters out on you and there is some land to play with?

Have a little fun.

What is the worst that can happen?

I got my mom's thanksgiving turkey recipe.

Funny you should mention can openers...

John was using a hand crank can opener we got from the dollar store. This was I think can #3 this thing had opened and it snapped in half in his hands. I learned a few new words that day

Can openeners, oh dear! I have a really old one I got from my mom, she must have it all her life. I think I'm the only one now who has such a can opener. Fister knows the sound of it too!

However, it seems that no one else can use it! Two times I've had people looking after Fister in my home, laid cans out on the kitchen counter, along with the can opener, but both of them didn't manage to get the can open.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

call me crazy but I really prefer the old-fashioned crank kind. They're quiet, don't use any electricity, and when you're done they're not taking up any counter space.

My mom has one of those little battery-oprated thingies that you put on top of the can. It's not great, but it's fun to watch as it jitterbugs around the top.

Ha Ha...look what I found:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I have yet to find a decent electric can opener. I can't even remember how many I've gone thru. So last year I thought I'd buy a good one - Cuisinart - can't get much better than that - right? Wrong! It's as big a piece of junk as the cheaper ones. It drops cans and makes a horrible noise when it does half way work. Many a time I've come close to chucking it out the back door.
    My arthritic hands don't allow me to use a manual hand crank type, so now I'm just going to get one of the battery operated ones that walks around the top of the can. It can't be any worse than all the others that I've sent to their graves!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Hmm, wonder what is up with all those bad can openers? Are you folks checking Consumer Reports before you get one?

I've had the under mount one for years! Only replaced it last year when we redid the kitchen, to swap the color. They last forever, here.

Now don't get me started on the hand crank ones, they are horrid!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Hmm, wonder what is up with all those bad can openers? Are you folks checking Consumer Reports before you get one?

I've had the under mount one for years! Only replaced it last year when we redid the kitchen, to swap the color. They last forever, here.

Now don't get me started on the hand crank ones, they are horrid!
    Yes! My mom has had the under the cabinet opener for years too. I think she did replace it once (over the course of probably 20 years). But it's still going strong. Before that we had an old on the counter one (it was beautiful butter yellow to match the kitchen, does that tell you how old it was?) and it lasted forever too. I guess they don't make things like they used to.
    At my house we use the hand crank one. Not enough counter space for an eletric one. And not really any over head cabinets to attach it to either.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I have yet to find a decent electric can opener. I can't even remember how many I've gone thru. So last year I thought I'd buy a good one - Cuisinart - can't get much better than that - right? Wrong! It's as big a piece of junk as the cheaper ones. It drops cans and makes a horrible noise when it does half way work. Many a time I've come close to chucking it out the back door.
    My arthritic hands don't allow me to use a manual hand crank type, so now I'm just going to get one of the battery operated ones that walks around the top of the can. It can't be any worse than all the others that I've sent to their graves!
    I had a Cuisinart, a tall one, and it got rusty!!

Now I have a Rival that I can raise if needed for tall cans. My favorite of all times was a Black & Decker cordless. I bought a couple, and they lasted me for almost 20 years. Now I can't find them any longer

My husband's favorite was one by Krup - the kind that cut the entire top off, so no sharp edges. It died, and Krup doesn't make them anymore.

Oh yeah, I usually take my old stuff to the dump and throw it in the appropriate pit. Great fun!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I had a Cuisinart, a tall one, and it got rusty!!

Now I have a Rival that I can raise if needed for tall cans. My favorite of all times was a Black & Decker cordless. I bought a couple, and they lasted me for almost 20 years. Now I can't find them any longer

My husband's favorite was one by Krup - the kind that cut the entire top off, so no sharp edges. It died, and Krup doesn't make them anymore.
    I had that same Black & Decker rechargeable - had it for years until I dropped it and broke it and couldn't find another.

I also had one that cut the top off with no sharp edges, but it only worked on certain cans. Another big waste, but don't remember the brand.

My Cuisinart isn't rusty - just crappy!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Nothing beats the Swing-a-way manual can opener. I have never used anything else. I was given an under the counter electric MANY years ago, it never opened anything right, it was tossed almost immediately. Even with my hands (which are not in the best shape), the Swing-a-way can't be beat!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I have the little hand-crank one, works fine, and we have somewhat limited counter space so it's perfect.

Old appliances in this particular house seem to have never been thrown away before Paul and I bought the place. I found not one but four old toasters, one in the "spare bedroom" just waiting for someone to fix them. NOT! In the event that an appliance dies, I can take it over to the recycle depot for someone else to take apart and salvage bits.
    I've Been Frosted

OH, before I forget.......

MY dad gutted a washing machine and used the tub to make a 'fire pit".

He bolted on feet to hold it off the floor and they have since rusted away....

http://www.ehow.com/how_4577118_fire...paign=yssp_art

I looked up washing machine fire pits and came up with that.

If you do have a chance to get a tub, and have a space for it? You can prop it on brick and it works just as well.

check it out!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

People have made wood stoves for their houses from old electric water heaters.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    OH, before I forget.......

MY dad gutted a washing machine and used the tub to make a 'fire pit".

He bolted on feet to hold it off the floor and they have since rusted away....

http://www.ehow.com/how_4577118_fire...paign=yssp_art

I looked up washing machine fire pits and came up with that.

If you do have a chance to get a tub, and have a space for it? You can prop it on brick and it works just as well.

check it out!

Washing machine tubs make the best fire pits!!! They have all the holes for great oxygen to get tothe fire, and a top a Weber grill fits perfect. It can quickly become a "cooking" fire should the local FD stop by. WE have one Ralph got when he was consulting for Whirlpool, and it works great!

IF we are talking about old applicances...our stove came with the house. It is so old, it is made by Frigidaire when they were owned by GM. How many people have stoves made by General Motors?