Thread: Bunny Rabbit has Growing Bump/Scab on Ear

Bunny Rabbit has Growing Bump/Scab on Ear

I took pictures of the scab on my bunnies ear. To see them please go to www.photobucket.com/ilovechubbyhubby

My bunny rabbit, Floppers, has what appears to be a scab on her ear, I cannot exactly figure out what it is or what I should do.
    A few days ago I noticed a circular ring on Floppers ear.
    The next day the circle grew into a black rough bump. The rough lump on her ear was bigger than the previous days ring.
    Today the black rough bump looks like it turned into a Scab. Today I can see some pink.
    I cannot figure out what could have caused this or what this is?

Floppers history:
    Over the summer Floppers was very sick. her head was tilted and her tail/bottom was very wet and dirty. The vet said she believed Floppers had Ovarian Cancer. That same day the vet called us and said Floppers might have a Urinary Track Infection (UTI) caused by a parasite. The vet gave Floppers 2 shots of penicillin and we fed Floppers antibiotics twice a day for about 2 months. Once Floppers got better we put her back outside with her family.
    Now Floppers has this scab on her ear. Do you think Floppers may have another parasite?
    If you have any ideas, please share them!

Please look at the pictures:

[IMG][/IMG]

I think a vet check is needed. It could be just an infected bug bite, or some parasite, or a symptom of something more serious.

Just so you know, unspayed female bunnies have a high incidence of ovarian cancer, so you may want to get her spayed, okay? This is entirely disconnected to the lump, but that looks like it probably hurts.
    I've Been Frosted

Getting Older Bunnies Spayed ?

Thank you for replying! I do want to get her spayed. I talked about getting Floppers spayed once she recovered 100% from the UTI and Cold, which was in August.

Floppers is almost 2 and 1/2 years old.
    I wanted to fix Floppers and Chubby Hubby (who is the other bunny I adopted), when I first got them. But the vet told me they were both too young to fix. The vet said female bunnies need to be at least 6 months old and male bunnies should be 4 months old. A couple months later she gave birth... she was NOT even 6 months old! (Long story, short - she gave birth in my closet. They lived loose in my bedroom with me b/c I do not believe in cages. But yes, they did have cages in my room for when the chose to go inside of them.)

We separated Floppers (Female) and Chubby Hubby (Male). We got Chubby Hubby neutered, but continued to keep them separated b/c Floppers children were very young and we wanted to keep the kids with their mother.

Needless to say, Floppers gave birth AGAIN!

Floppers gave birth to two liters!
    The baby bunnies that we could not find excellent homes for we kept. I do not believe in giving animals to shelters (b/c I am scared of what might happen to them)... and I was not going to give, nor sell my bunnies to a stranger, or someone I did not trust.
    We paid $500 for each male bunny to get neutered (So yes, we paid several thousand dollars to fix all of the males). Money became an issue. If money was not an issue, we would have fixed all of the females too.

Now, Floppers is 2 and a half years old. I still want to spay her. But I am worried that her age might be a factor here.

Would it be unhealthy or bad to spay an older rabbit?

That looks like an infection of some sort, so it's probably a good idea to get her to the vet asap.

It is possible that she has Pasteurella, which occurs readily in rabbits. I had a rabbit many years ago that succumb to this parasite. Has Floppers had any respiratory issues? Wikipedia had a good reference:

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/past.shtml

This also looks like a cool site for rabbits and the people who love them.

If your vet is not used to dealing with bunnies, they may overlook this. It can be treated with antibiotics.

Sending love,
    Cathy

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

She is not "too old" for a spay they can be much older than that and successfully spayed, you can schedule it when you bring her to the vet for the lump!
    I've Been Frosted