Thread: Biting.... Aggression? Playing?

Biting.... Aggression? Playing?

Ok, so I have an almost 2 year old seal point Siamese named Seraph that I have had since he was 15 weeks old. I recently brought home another Siamese/DSH mix from the shelter as a foster that had been hit by a car. My plan was to adopt him (Oliver) when he got better, assuming he did well with my current cat.

In the beginning Seraph had just been neutered, so was less than enthused about Oliver being here, however, I was pretty pleased with how the initial introductions went. I let them meet through the crate, they sniffed, and after a few minutes, Seraph just walked away. No hissing, growling, nothing.

In the time that has passed, Oliver has transitioned out of his crate and they have been intermingling for about 2 weeks now. All has gone well, there has been no fighting, (except the one night we ran out of food) no issues, they just coexist. They have seemed like they are getting acclimated with each other well enough, however, I have noticed something that I am unsure about. They don't really play together yet, but Seraph was never much of a player anyways.

So the issue is, they will start to groom each other, and then all of a sudden Oliver will bite onto Seraph, usually on his throat if it's visible, but on his back as well. Seraph never really makes much of a fuss about it, so I don't think that it hurts him (there was only once I heard him cry out) so it doesn't seem aggressive, but it doesn't seem playful either? He just bites on and won't let go. I don't know if he's trying to get him to play, trying to establish dominance, or what? There's been absolutely no hissing, no growling, no signs at all that they dislike each other, so this is rather curious to me.

My fiance said the other day while I was at school that they started to play together, and then Oliver bit down onto Seraph's face and would not let go. Seraph cried out (I would imagine even gentle biting on the face would hurt) but he just held on until my fiance intervened.

Anyone have any ideas?

If this is going to be ongoing, or is going to escalate into something more, then I would think twice about adopting him. But I have become really attached to him, so I would like to try and figure out what the cause is and if the issue can be resolved?

Thanks!

my boys do that exact same thing all of the time. As you said there is no growling, hissing or other signs of aggression at all. They did it constantly at first but now it's just once or twice a day, and occasionally at night. Toby always wins cuz he's a pretty stocky boy, but Havoc still starts stuff with him. I just figured boys will be boys and they just wanna wrestle and size each other up. They don't hurt each other and they don't seem angry before or afterward, so I don't worry about it, other than when they wanna wrestle on the bed when I'm trying to sleep.

much like yours, my boys don't really play with each other either, other than these impromptu wrestling matches.

It think it's just a situation of the groomee getting tired of being groomed. Maya Linn and RB Mollie Rose used to snuggle together. Maya would always groom Mollie Rose but she got tired of it and would snap at Maya till she either stopped or left.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

He's the one doing the grooming though. He'll start to lick Seraph, and then almost immediately just start biting him. It's not a slow or gradual build, or just tired of what's happening, it's like he pretends to start grooming him to get his guard down and then goes for the throat lol.

I have a couple of cats that do the same thing. No aggression, etc., just suddenly they clamp on and won't let go after grooming another nicely. I think it's just rough play; at least that's what it seems like w/mine anyhow.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Playing rough

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaH18 View Post
    Ok, so I have an almost 2 year old seal point Siamese named Seraph that I have had since he was 15 weeks old. I recently brought home another Siamese/DSH mix from the shelter as a foster that had been hit by a car. My plan was to adopt him (Oliver) when he got better, assuming he did well with my current cat.

In the beginning Seraph had just been neutered, so was less than enthused about Oliver being here, however, I was pretty pleased with how the initial introductions went. I let them meet through the crate, they sniffed, and after a few minutes, Seraph just walked away. No hissing, growling, nothing.

In the time that has passed, Oliver has transitioned out of his crate and they have been intermingling for about 2 weeks now. All has gone well, there has been no fighting, (except the one night we ran out of food) no issues, they just coexist. They have seemed like they are getting acclimated with each other well enough, however, I have noticed something that I am unsure about. They don't really play together yet, but Seraph was never much of a player anyways.

So the issue is, they will start to groom each other, and then all of a sudden Oliver will bite onto Seraph, usually on his throat if it's visible, but on his back as well. Seraph never really makes much of a fuss about it, so I don't think that it hurts him (there was only once I heard him cry out) so it doesn't seem aggressive, but it doesn't seem playful either? He just bites on and won't let go. I don't know if he's trying to get him to play, trying to establish dominance, or what? There's been absolutely no hissing, no growling, no signs at all that they dislike each other, so this is rather curious to me.

My fiance said the other day while I was at school that they started to play together, and then Oliver bit down onto Seraph's face and would not let go. Seraph cried out (I would imagine even gentle biting on the face would hurt) but he just held on until my fiance intervened.

Anyone have any ideas?

If this is going to be ongoing, or is going to escalate into something more, then I would think twice about adopting him. But I have become really attached to him, so I would like to try and figure out what the cause is and if the issue can be resolved?

Thanks!
    Hi I'm Tracey,
    I have six cats. Three of them are related. Bambi,Lady and Scamp. They came from the same mom just different litters. I watch these cats play, and they play rather rough with each other. If you didn't know they were playing you'd think they were killing each other. Bambi and Scamp stand on their hind legs and bat at each other, I mean they really thump. Scamp gets mad and starts to hiss at Bambi. Then they'll chase one another, and their done. Now with Lady and Scamp their brother and sister from the same litter. They stick to chasing each other like their on speed. Sometimes they romp and roll but basically they chase. Flower kitty is the queen. She does alot of growling and hissing ay all the cats. Flower would of been very happy in a house with just her. Then she would get all the attention. Bambi is like that in a way. Now with Littleshit and new baby they run, hop chase they fight. Every now and then littleshit will let out a hiss and a growl. Sweetpea plays rough with him. But she still a baby and he'll be 4 next March. So I probably wouldn't worry abouy the cats unless you think otherwise. She I know all my cats habits and routines. Hope everything will work out, Tracey