Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sue...HELP!!! Elderly GSD in need of rescue

Sue...HELP!!! Elderly GSD in need of rescue

Hi all, I think we are going to need to rehome an elderly GSD. The guy moved out and left the dog in the backyard...ala Rinny. We're going to try him with our dogs tomorrow, but we're afraid that he's dog aggressive, which of course, won't work at our house. He's betwen 8 and 9 and has never been inside of a house and the tips of his ears are eaten away by fleas or flies, we're not sure which. He is really a sweetie, but we're pretty sure he may have hip dysplasia or arthritis, because he was wimpering in pain when we were there today. The guy that is feeding him right now was going to go get some baby aspirin and give him one to alleviate the pain and then we're going back over in the morning with Tigger and probably Rinny to see how he is with other dogs. I think the best thing for this poor thing is to find a home where he can live out his days lounging on the couch without any competition, so if anyone knows anyone who is willing to rescue a poor soul please let me know.

Molly

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Let me see if I can come up with some rescues in your area that you might be able to contact. Oh the poor baby!!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

mugsy, check out the Senior Dog Project:
    http://www.srdogs.com/

German Shepherd Rescue and Adoption of Central Indiana:
    http://home.sprynet.com/~bree02/bree02.html
    Last edited by Sudilar; 10-05-2002 at 10:14 PM.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Molly, I need a picture of the dog do I can post him on the GSD bb board under the rescue topic, please.
    Last edited by Sudilar; 10-06-2002 at 04:39 PM.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Sue, DANG!!! I didn't see your request for a picture until just now. Mike just left to take Sox, Tigger, and Max to meet him (his name is Ryoo...don't ask lol) and I could have had him take the digital camera and take a picture or 2. If he brings him home with him, I'll take some and email them to you. He is a German German so he's big and all black and copper colored.

How did the meeting go, Molly??
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Sue,

As Mike said this morning when he got back...."He's not dog aggressive...he's a pansy!" lol Currently he's lying at my feet whining. He has his 3 cups of food, but I think I may up it to 4 cups for now...haven't decided. I gave him a baby aspirin for his hips and he seems more content. He gets along with everyone except Rinney and that's because Rinney continually tries to hump him...I'd be a little irritated by that too! hehehe And that isn't all the time...they're just feeling each other out.

I just talked to the wife of the guy who had been taking care of Ryoo and she said the previous owner was a dumba$$ and didn't take very good care of him (which is evidenced by the tips of his ears being eaten away), but did have the presence of mind to have him neutered and have him chipped at some point.

He's pretty scared, but I think that will go away soon enough. I've got to find the chip for the camera before I can take a picture, but I promise I will do it just as soon as I find it or have Mike find it.

Thanks for all your help in this. I will try and contact these people this week as see how it goes. Most rescues are always full, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but we'll keep him as long as it takes.

I'm glad he's with you. I know he is safe now. I'm glad he gets along with your pups!! When I get his picture, I will post it and see if anyone is interested.

The rescues really are full. 30 black GSDs were taken in by Tri-State GSD Rescue because Black Forest Kennel in TN was shut down. As soon as their pictures are up, they will be posting and trying to adopt out these dogs.
    Last edited by Sudilar; 10-06-2002 at 07:56 PM.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Molly, once again you are an angel! I am glad that Ryoo was able to come to your house! Some people are just such idiots!!!

This guy really sounds like a peach! NOT! This poor thing is just scared to death. He has done nothing but whine since he got here. I can't decide if it's a scared whine or an I'm in pain whine. I gave him the aspirin just in case, but he's still whining, so I'm leaning toward the scared whine. He has not left my side all day. He really is a sweetie. Of course Mike has to work today and it is extended to 1am now...this may be an interesting night, and I can't take tomorrow off because I don't have my plans done...no use waiting until the last minute! lol I'll keep you up to date. The nicest part is that Vonney seems to like him and lies down next to him and puts his head on Ryoo's back and that seems to calm him down some.

GSDs are real talkers. He may be nervous? Fearful that you will leave him? Hopefully he is not in pain. Poor Ryoo. I feel so bad for him, his horrible treatment!!! Does he whine when he is next to you or only when you walk away from him or are out of his sight?

You certainly are an angel for taking him in. I hope he calms down for you soon. Good luck!!

For the lesson plans, maybe you can give the kids an essay to write!! That always works. LOL
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

The Angels Mike and Molly are at it again!

Will Andy and I see 17 dogs when we are able to visit again?

I hope Ryoo feels better soon.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

We don't know Kim...he's such a sweetie it would be difficult to give him up. Sue, I can't give the essay assignment because I just got done doing that!! lol And I think he's scared of the dogs because Mike put all the other with me last night and he took Ryoo out in the living room and said he was fine. He is definitely a whiny one....but he's so cute doing it.

I guess he MIGHT be overwhelmed with all the others!! HEHEHE Yes, GSDs are whiners. He should get better after he feels more secure. They need their people. It must have killed him to be tied up outside alone like that. If the whining is from pain, the vet should be able to prescribe some meds for his possibe arthritis or HD. All of this is new to him. Kindness!!! What's that? Food?? Clean water!! A house!!! Wow! He probably thinks he's died and gone to heaven!!

Give them a surprise TEST to see what they have learned so far!! Haha!!

Did you at least get some sleep??

Thanks for rescuing this guy. When I get a pic, I'll post him on the GSD bb.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

How's it going today with Ryoo?? Hope it's better.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue