Thread: Letter to me

Letter to me

Don't know if we ever had a thread like this before so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Seem like every time I turned on the radio today Brad Paisley's "Letter to Me" was playing so I got to thinking: What would I say if I could write a letter to a younger me? That would be a great Pet Talk thread! (See I think about you guys throughout the day) So, if you could write a letter to a young you, what would you say?

Here's mine:

Dear 1999 Ann,

Hello from the future! I know you're hurting right now. You thought Matt was "the one" but he was just a jerk. Right? Well, you're right, he is and you will go back to him and he will be a jerk again. You will be right back where you are right now, feeling exactly the same way. It's ok though because that jerk you will help you find the sweetest guy. That sweet guy is that annoying guy you currently want to slap... again. Yeah, that guy. Follow your gut, give him a chance. Not right now! He is that annoying right now, in fact slap him again - he likes it, but he'll show his true colors soon enough. He helps you break out of that shell you hate. You're a shy little girl right now but you won't be that way forever. In fact you won't be that way by graduation. That sweet guy is the one that is gonna see you at your worse and I do mean your worse. You know that fear in the back of your head, it happens. You're going to look up expecting to see him running for the hills only to find him standing there to lift you back up. You won't be able to run him off, I've tried.

Listen to G-ma, even if you don't like what she's saying, because as much as I hate to admit it: she's right 99% of the time. I'm too stubborn to give up that last 1%. She's going to show you how to take all the craziness that is the family and find all the good times. She shows you how to ignore the bad times. She shows you how fight for your opinion, even against Mom. She shows you how to be her. You won't realize this until it's too late and you lose her. This year will be your first without her and you're going to be confused and lost. My only advice: listen to her voice in your head. She's told you what you need to do. And when you do something that you just know she'd love you're going to get a flash of that famous G-ma wink and you're heart is gonna stop from the crash of grief. Breathe, smile, and wink back.

Have patience with Mom. She does what she thinks is right for you even if it slightly off. Remember she's struggling with depression and experiences you never had. She's going to forget the awful things she says to you. She needs you! As much as you want to turn your back and walk away, remember that fact.

Forgive Aunt Carol, Erma, and Mary... a lot. You would do the same thing if you were in their shoes.

Remember all those times you picked on your younger brother Mike and they told you he is going to be bigger than you one day. He is. Don't worry there is no payback...yet. He will try to drop you on your head a few times. Tuck and roll. Get very use to stupid teenage boy habits because him, Richie, and Brandon are going to have a lot of them.

After high school you're not really ready for college but you will go anyway. You will waste a year before you drop out. It is the one thing that you really regret in life. You will go back when you grow up some, I promise.

Remember to laugh daily.
    Remember to over use the words: I love you.
    Trust yourself because you've had great life teachers. You're even going to be one yourself.
    When you see the annoying one's big brother in the hallway, hug him. He gives you a pretty cool sister-in-law.
    Buy some nonflammable jeans. Trust me, you'll need them.
    Hug Uncle Tom every single time you see him and never pass an opportunity to see him.
    Remember it's not you against the world, it's you with the world. Everyone is struggling with something. Help, don't hinder.
    Love yourself. Hold your head high. You might think you can't get through some things but remember you come from a long line of strong women. You can do whatever you want. Want big things.
    Embrace the craziness/weirdness/goofiness, it makes you who you are.

Love,
    2009 Ann
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

I actually have seriously considered doing this.. Hmm, sounds like a idea! A letter to me and I was 17 eight years ago. I'll have to see what I can come up with.

It's a great song, isn't it?
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Quote Originally Posted by CountryWolf07 View Post
    It's a great song, isn't it?
    Yeah it is. Writing the letter was actually harder than I thought it would be.
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

I love that song and I love Brad Paisley. He is amazingly talented!

Humm, that make ya think!

Dear Me,

You have the right idea in life with setting your lifelong goals at a early age, they work out well for you. Only you should really work harder on them so you can accomplish more. Give up that job at school soon as you learn about tow boating, that will be the best change in your life you ever make and you will regret waiting 2 years to do it and that would help you accomplish some of your goals sooner.

Adopt a healthier life style and avoid taking the easy way out by taking pills that can ruin your health. Do not gain that weight even though people tell you it looks good on you. Live healtheir so you can stay healthy!

Listen more to that inner voice that tells you things, pay attention to it and follow it always! It is always right and you know it.

Continue to have fun and enjoy life to the fullest.

The Future You

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Andie, that letter you wrote to yourself was cool. It really sounded like it came from your heart. I don't know where to begin on a letter like that to myself I'm 21 so I reckon I could go back to when I was like 15 huh? lol
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*