Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Begging Cat

Quote Originally Posted by catland View Post
    I would say that your cat has you very well trained.
    Oh yes...he knows I have a weakness for his adorable orange face and sweet little meow.

Taz would only beg when I opened a can of tuna. Or when I walked to his feeding area. He loved his temptations and greenies.
    Taz would sometimes sniff my food if I was eating on the bed. But I'd just say no and he'd back up. I miss my baby boy SOO much.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I don't know how I missed this thread!
    As far as people food - CHEESE! Pinot is crazy for cheese! She'll climb on the counter and try to get to it as you're slicing it - lick the cutting board and knife...she's never had it as far as I know, so I don't know where this comes from.
    Cat food - she knows when her feeding time is and won't let you forget it! If we're not home on time, or the cat sitter is late, she'll open the cabinet and try to get to it. We've put the food in a plastic bin now, so she can't get it, but she'll still try!
    In other words, no, she doesn't beg. She DEMANDS!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

One of three

Juni-get-down has the role in this household. Lucy could care less about human food, Chloe is mildly interested but does not beg. Juni, on the other hand, will hover in the area until she see's you walk to the kitchen with an empty plate. She loves to lick plates, clean. My Mom taught her that trick when she lived with us. She gave Juni her morning cereal milk.

I have never fed my cats in the morning, so they do not try to get me out of bed each AM. I usually feed them when I get home from work, and now days, it's not until 9PM! They have dry food all the time.... and they love the wet stuff.

One begger!

I love the variations of "trained human behavior"....hehehehehehehe!

Oh geez, I am glad I saw this thread!

Archy is the world champion beggar; he is too chunky to begin with, and he loves food...his food and his brother's food! Everytime Jeff or I head towards the kitchen he's right there, underfoot, chirping, running ahead and then looking back to make sure you are following. It's not so bad in the morning, but later in the evening you can't make a move without him leading the way to the kitchen! Jeff usually gives him a scoopful of food before bed; otherwise we'd never get any sleep!

ETA He will come in the bedroom when we're watching TV or reading and will sit there STARING at us until Jeff gets up!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

One of my cats Phoebe goes absolutely crazy every time anyone walks into the kitchen. And you definately can't open the fridge without her cute little nose poking in! She persists in jumping up on the kitchen work surfaces whenever I am preparing food much to my annoyance! But she will never learn. It's almost like she doesn't have that shut off function in her brain - she never stops eating, bit like a pig!
    Our other cat Vinnie does cry out for food and get all balshy, but only really for his own cat food. Two different cats!
    My mum and dad's cats do not beg at all, and one of them doesn't even seem that interested in her cat food - perhaps she eats too many mice in the night!
    Anyways, I don't think it's strange, cats are very complicated beings all very different in personality and can suddenly change their pattern of behaviour for no particular reason - just enjoy their silly little ways! :-)

My Trouble kitty

I just got a new kitten named trouble. She had worms,fleas and a eye infection. She was a sick cat. Thank God none of my other cats got the fleas or the worms. It costed me over 200.00 to get her back to health. Anyway, she is doing great, growing like a weed. It seems like everytime I go into the kitchen, here she comes to eat or try to get into the frige. I thinks she's about 7months old. She also just got fixed and declawed. I'm thinking she's going to be big like Bambi or Flower. Bambi is 13.5lbs and Flower is about 15lbs. Both of them have big bones. Than look at littlebit at 9lbs, Lady at 11lbs and Scamp at about 12.5lbs. It think Trouble is about 7lbs. All she does is eat and play rough with Littlebit. Give her a couple of months and she'll be bigger than my littleman. I love all my babies and I wouldn't trade them for nothing in the world. Write back Tracey

The Beggers

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Was wondering if anyone else here has a cat that begs for food. I believe that Buddy learned this from Casey and since she is now gone, he is carrying on the tradition. If he is nearby when I go into the kitchen he will come up to me purring, meowing and rubbing away. He likes bits of people food like cheese, turkey lunch meat and butter bread (weird). None of the other cats want anything to do with people food. Of course, I just encourage the behavior because this morning he came up to me meowing with his sweet little orangey face, I opened the fridge, got out some cheddar cheese and gave him 3 little bites.
    Hi i'm tracey,

I have a 7month old new kitten. She wants a taste of everything I eat. She doesn't really beg but she lets you know that she wants some. I just think that's the kitten in them, they have to know what's going on at all times. She is just a busy body. Her and littleshit are best buddies. I thought when I brought her home he was going to give me a hard time, but after a few days they became best friends. He probably thinks this is the best cat toy ever. Someone to play and get into trouble. Anyway, I do give her a little taste, because I don't think it's going to hurt her. So write back, Tracey

I have several that like people food and beg for it. Some like potato chips, some like buttered bread, some like meat, and some like cheese. Josh will eat darn near any crumb that hits the floor!

My solution is to make them sit (yes some cats can be taught to do this on command like a dog) and they have to have all 4 on the floor and sit quietly before they get anything. I also tend not to give them much when I'm actually eating if they're being really bad, and just save a few snippets to give them after I'm done eating. That way they're less likely to associate getting the snack at the same time the people are eating.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Lenny is the mooooooooch. The only time he makes a sound is in the kitchen, if you have cold cuts. All the rest know that if I say "I'M EATING" it is a big do not bother sign. Lucky, Egypt, and Demetri, and Lily will stay in the area, but not come near. They know that when I finnish there may be a couple of small pieces left on the plate, but very, very little.
    The only time I have problems is if have have potato chips when I watch TV. And then only Lays BBQ, lucky's and Egypt's favorite. They are good about it both will have about a 1 inch chip and they on thier way.
    GILL & Crew;