Thread: An alternative to declawing?

An alternative to declawing?

I'm looking for an alternative to declawing... not that I intend on doing so, however, I am moving into a apartment that plans on putting in new carpet and I would love to leave it in decent condition... but I fear with my four cats and their tendencies this will be impossible. I have recently been looking into soft paws has anyone used them or have any other tips hints or tricks?

I have never used soft paws on Fister, but after a few years I learned to clip his nails. You can get a special scissor from your vet.

If you plan to do this, get your cats used to you holding their paws when you cuddle with them - give them some massage, then it will be easier the day you need to clip the nails. I guess patience is what it takes.

Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I'm an obsessive nail trimmer. Mikey hated me when he was getting his trimmed low to go to an sapartment that had mandatory declaws. I refused to declaw, so I trimmed, trimmed, and trimmed some more

You can simply trim a little bit off, there's really no need to go to that extreme
    Harry's nails

Flutters nails. See how hers are longer so she can use her nails, but not snag?

I wouldnt declaw ever, after I had Mr Scrappy declawed and he came out with his paws sore and drops of blood on them.
    He took a few weeks to heal , and I swore that was it.
    And he always had troble reachong behind his tail too.
    But that was in 1985 and they made you think that declawing was the proper thing to do
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I have used soft paws on Giz and Samantha.. The trick is in getting them on and keeping them on. Giz hated them and would immediately work on trying to get them off and she always managed to get several of them off. Samantha didn't like them either but she wasn't as obsessive at getting them off as Giz was. Once they get a whiff of that glue, they are gone like bullets! I finally just gave up..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I trim my boys about once a month or so. Toby is OK with it if he's curled up somewhere already and you go slow. Havoc starts squirming and whining like you're killing him.

Here are a few ideas, some repeats from above:

1. Trim your cats' claws. I use these scissors from Pet Edge:
    http://www.petedge.com/product/Maste...sors/44495.uts

Just make it a Saturday (or some other set time) chore.

2. I'm not sure about carpet. But for furniture this is what I do:

a. have plenty of scratching posts around the place. Now and then, rub some catnip on to remind the cats those are THEIR places.
    b. same time you rub the catnip, mix a spray bottle with equal amounts of white vinegar and water. Spray the furniture edges, or where they try to sharpen. The mix is dilute enough that we humans don't smell the vinegar, but the cats do.
    c. buy some double sided sticky tape at a craft store, and put that on the furniture edges. Cats don't like having their claws stick and slow in the sharpening process, so they don't go back there.

Hope this helps!

I cut Cali and Diego's nails. Cali could really care less, it's just extra cuddle time with mommy and there's always a whiskas treat in it for her afterwards. I swear that girl will do anything for a whiskas. Diego on the other hand hates to have his nails cut. He gets squirmy and even growls a bit. But I don't give up so easily and eventually he's sporting a lovely peticure!! And he doesn't mind taking the whiskas treat afterward either.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21