Thread: My 6yr old Jacob is not well? Please help..

My 6yr old Jacob is not well? Please help..

I have a wonderful 6 yr old cat named Jacob. He has lost some weight and has just been a lazy cat the last few days. He really isn't eating or drinking much at all. I took him to the VET today and after 273.00 later, I was told that his White blood cell count is 10,000 times more than what it should be. The Vet said everything else is good, but wants to do an X-ray at 250.00, is this right? Then after all of that, he said that maybe it is his teeth, he does need a cleaning, they are bad. Any thoughts out there? I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, thanks so much!

Tammy

Yes, a high white count can mean any one of a number of things, so the X-ray is probably the best idea because it can rule out some of the scarier ones.

Can we see a picture of Jacob?

Love, Columbine

Jacob

Thanks so much, I am going to try to see if the VET will lower the cost for me, I think that the price is a little high, but here is to hoping

Jacob is the tabby and Nitro is the black/white cat.
    They are both 6 years old, only a couple weeks apart.
    We adopted them when they were 4 months old, they were together in a cage since birth (not brothers) and we had to take both, they just loved each other and still do!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jacob.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	43888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nitro.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	43889  

They're both adorable! I hope it's just scuzzy teeth and Jacob's feeling better soon, but definitely better safe than sorry.

Love, Columbine

Jacob

They are both so cute! Is Jacob eating any better today and drinking water? Maybe a little wet food, like Fancy Feast just to get some water also into him. I remember when my kitty was so sick and wouldn't eat, the Vet said even a little tuna based in water would okay just to get some food in him.

That does sound a little high for X-ray; is it an ultrasound possiblly the Vet would be giving Jacob? I hope the little guy will be okay.

Yes, the x-ray fee is excessively high; TommyCat may be right, perhaps it's an ultrasound that the vet mentioned. That price would be more in line then. I sure hope that you get to the bottom of what's ailing your kitty. If it's bad teeth, that's easily taken care of, although if he just needs a cleaning, I can't imagine that it would make him sick. Take it one step at a time, x-ray/ultrasound first, be sure your vet looks into Jacob's mouth, etc., then go from there. Keep us posted and post a pic when you are able. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11