Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunny has a skin problem

Sunny has a skin problem

Hi everyone. I just noticed tonight that Sunny has lost a patch of fur near his shoulder blades and the patch has a red sore on it. He didn't look like this in the morning and has never had anything like this before. I think it might be a hot spot caused by allergies. I'm going to try to make a vet appointment for him tomorrow. I sure hope that it's nothing serious and that it's easily treatable. I know that this can also be caused by stress but nothing has changed here so that shouldn't be the problem. I'll keep you posted as soon as I know something.

a bare spot AND a red sore? scary. is he acting ok? eating?
    please post an update when you find out what's wrong.
    I will be thinking of him, and you.

First thing. DON'T PANIC! It could be as simple as a scratch from rough play. But please let us know as soon as you know anything. I'll be thinking of Sunny all day. Good luck

Jen I am not expert on such matters, but do keep us posted. Pehaps he only scratched it while playing. Is it in an inaccessable place for his hid legs and mouth?

Hopefully it is just a scratch....
    If it is just clean the area with hydrogen peroxide and apply bacitracin a couple times a day.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Miley had three hot spots this summer

I will probably never know what really caused her to lick her fur off in the three spots on her back. The Vet ended up giving her cortizone shots (2) and eventually the fur has grown back.

I would take Sunny to the Vet.

With Miley, I think I drove her to licking, since I had been yelling at her for weeks, about her going after Gabe so much. Gabe was new to the house and she didn't like having him take up so much space!

I stopped yelling at her and just about that same time, she stopped licking her fur!

To the Vet......for sure....

Keep us posted. BTW, Abys are prone to hot spots...and gum problems.....

And Sunny is part Aby, right?

Good luck with Sunny, I'll be thinking of you. I hope it's only a scratch, but it be a fighting wound, fungal, stress causing him to overgroom himself etc - so keep an eye on it and good luck.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Hi everyone. I took Sunny to the vet today and the vet gave him a cortizone injection. The vet wasn't too worried about it. He said that it could have been caused by one of my other cats scratching him during rough play or it could be allergies. I asked him if it could be a reaction to advantage since this is the same area where I put it on him. He said he didn't think so because it was a week ago that I had applied it. The cortizone shot lasts four weeks so I'll see how he does after that. He's still acting normally so I'm not too worried. The vet said that if I wanted to clean the sore that I could use peroxide or some other product(I forgot the name). He said the best thing to do is to leave it alone. I sure hope that it heals fast and doesn't reoccur. Thanks for everyone's concern. Sas, yes Sunny is half aby. The vet also has told me that he has a lot of tartar on his teeth. He's only 2 years old. I guess he'll need his teeth cleaned next.

Uncooked chicken necks

My breeder told me to give my cats uncooked chicken necks to naw on.....and their gums, teeth etc. will be fine. I have not yet gotten my guys to eat them, although we are getting closer. From what I have read, the small, soft bones in the chicken necks are like dental floss and remove the tartar. You cannot cook the necks as that will make the bones brittle.

Having the vet clean Sunny's teeth will be expensive, but hey, we do love our kitties. I brush my cats' teeth with an over the counter product. Seems to be working. I am also in the process of switching them to an all raw diet.

Keep us posted!

((((((((((((Sunny))))))))))))))

Re: Uncooked chicken necks

Originally posted by sasvermont
    ... I brush my cats' teeth with an over the counter product. Seems to be working. I am also in the process of switching them to an all raw diet.

Keep us posted!

((((((((((((Sunny))))))))))))))
    Hi SAS, how do you train your cats to have their teeth brushed ... without having your arms chewed off???
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

I'm glad to know that Sunny is in good hands! Good luck with that! As well as the teeth cleaning; all my cats eat hard kibble except for a few treats in the morning and they haven't had a artar problem before, but either way I hope everything goes well!

Naomi

Poor little Sunny! Did he tell you about any treats or food that can help with the tarter? Our vet gave us (well, we bought them) treats for their teeth and they seem to work great. I just ran out, but when I get more, I'll let you know what brand.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Originally posted by NoahsMommy
    Poor little Sunny! Did he tell you about any treats or food that can help with the tarter? Our vet gave us (well, we bought them) treats for their teeth and they seem to work great. I just ran out, but when I get more, I'll let you know what brand.
    No he didn't but Sunny won't eat the tartar control treats that I've bought in the past. He's very picky about any kind of treat. The dry food that they now eat is also supposed to help clean their teeth. I think that most of his tartar happened before I adopted him. I think that the lady fed him both wet and dry food. He only gets dry now. I only give my cats treats on weekends. Lately I've been giving them the turkey sticks from Gerber Graduates. I guess that just like people some cats have better teeth no matter what they eat. Out of my 3 cats, Pepper has the best teeth. Storm had to have his teeth cleaned this past January but he'll be 7 in January so I wasn't as concerned. Pepper has never had to have his teeth cleaned and he'll be 6 in March. Well now that I've rambled on I'll shut up now.

Noah is a bit like that too...not that he doesn't like treats...but he is more picky than Noel and Basil....BUT....I found a loop hole. If I give Basil and Noel something, Noah HAS to have it. Does that work with Sunny?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Originally posted by NoahsMommy
    Noah is a bit like that too...not that he doesn't like treats...but he is more picky than Noel and Basil....BUT....I found a loop hole. If I give Basil and Noel something, Noah HAS to have it. Does that work with Sunny?
    No not usually. Pepper is also very picky when it comes to treats. Storm is my vacuum cleaner when it comes to treats. If Pepper and Sunny don't eat their treats then Storm will eat theirs too.