Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat is sick? Need advice!

Cat is sick? Need advice!

Hi everyone! Just need a bit of advice. Sometimes I think that I might be too overprotective with Clyde. He's my IBD cat that has it controlled with diet. Yesterday he only ate part of his breakfast and was moping around most of the day. He's drinking water but won't touch food or treats. He's also sleeping in my clothes basket which he usually does when he isn't feeling well.

This morning when I let him out of his room he wasn't meowing or anything like he usually does when he wants out. He was just sitting next to his water bowl. Overnight he vomited in the shower that's in his room, a little on his blanket, a very tiny amount by litter box.

Then he went in the laundry room to lay on the rug and vomited brownish liquid. About 10 minutes after that he sat by the water bowl for at least 15 minutes drinking and just staring into it.

I had to go to work so I left some food out just in case he got an appetite since he hasn't eaten since yesterday AM and it wasn't even 1/2 a can of wet food.

Question: Should I take him to the vet or wait a little longer? Last time he got sick because I switched treats and gave him too many and he threw them up everywhere. I had taken him to the vet for his shots and he was really dehydrated and had to have fluids injected. The vet yelled at my for waiting so long and giving an IBD cat different treats. Am I just being paranoid or should I get him in after work? HELP!!

You know your cat better than any of us. And it sounds like he's not being himself so I would say take him in. Better to be safe than sorry, especially since he already has health issues. It may be nothing, but you'd feel a lot better hearing that from the vet than worrying about him.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I know he's not being himself but I just didn't know if it was necessary to run to the vet every time he's vomiting. He pooped yesterday and it was normal and not in his box as usual!

How long is a good amount of time to wait to see if he just had some bad food?

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I probably wouldn't run them to the vet for vomitting either. I might wait a day and if the vomitting doesn't stop or at least slow down maybe give the vet a call and see what they say.
    Others on here may have better advice for you. I hope he's okay.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks! I do appreciate your advice. I adopted him from the Human Society last year and I now know why I'm his 3rd owner...litter box problems. I've spent a lot of money at different vets. He's going to be 9 in October. I know that I'm sometimes overprotective with him but I just want him to be happy and healthy. I'm going to go home and check on him at lunch time and see how he's doing. If you think of anything else I should try let me know!

Thanks for answering!

I would not be worried by the vomiting- rather by his behavior which is more quiet than usual. And I would be definitely worried by him not eating.
    Cats can be under the weather a day- but after 2 days I would take him to the vet.

The last time he ate was only part of his breakfast yesterday morning. When I go home to check on him at lunch I'll see if he's touched his breakfast. I'm glad that he's been drinking water though!

The part I have a hard time with is that he is so skinny so I worry when he doesn't eat. I've been trying to fatten him up but it's just not working.

I'll keep you posted on what I find at lunch time. He just might have to go to the vet when I get off of work today. I just hate taking him there for everything because it gets so expensive when they don't find anything wrong and then want to see him for a follow-up visit.

Quote Originally Posted by emo View Post
    The last time he ate was only part of his breakfast yesterday morning. When I go home to check on him at lunch I'll see if he's touched his breakfast. I'm glad that he's been drinking water though!

The part I have a hard time with is that he is so skinny so I worry when he doesn't eat. I've been trying to fatten him up but it's just not working.

I'll keep you posted on what I find at lunch time. He just might have to go to the vet when I get off of work today. I just hate taking him there for everything because it gets so expensive when they don't find anything wrong and then want to see him for a follow-up visit.
    If he is losing weight even when he is eating it's time for some bloodwork. Could be kidneys (which is not the end of the world) but there could also be quite some other reasons.

He's been skinny since I adopted him. They attribute it to the IBD. He had bloodwork done a little over a month ago and everything was fine.

Here's what I found when I went home at lunch. His "room" is the bathroom and I found him laying in the shower facing the wall. His ears were cold and his nose was dry. Poor guy didn't even move when I came in.

He has an appt with the vet at 6pm. I'm a little worried that this is going to be an expensive trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Keep us updated on how your precious little boy is doing. From what I could see in the picture, he's a hearbreaker!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Oh no. He does not look like he feels good at all. I'm glad you're taking him to the vet. Hopefully it's an easy fix for him.

I will be thinking of you and Clyde.

I know...I feel so bad for him. I did notice that he's been catching crickets and eating them the past couple of weeks. I hope that doesn't have anything to do with him not feeling well. He has me so worried right now!!

Oh, poor baby. We'll be waiting to hear from you and hope he's okay.

I'm sorry to hear that Emo doesn't feel well. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Please update us about his vet visit when you can. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.