Thread: My horse riding adventure! (pics)

My horse riding adventure! (pics)

During the last couple of weeks, I had the chance to to ride an Icelandic horse named Toppa. She's one of the three horses of a lady I know, and she allows me to ride her, for which I'm very thankful. I never did something like that before in my life. Yesterday has been the third time we took a ride, and she took some pics of me.

It's so much fun, and really exciting. I was even gallopping for a couple of times, which was awesome, and I also like this special gait that Icelandic horses can do, the Tölt. The funny thing is, the horse riding doesn't seem to do any damage to my back (as some of you may remember, I had a back surgery some years ago).

Some situations are a bit scary, though. Two weeks ago, I almost fell down when "my" horse jumped over a ditch. And yesterday, we rode up and down very steep forest hills, and once when we reached the top and I turned the horse around, we came VERY close to a slope. That image haunted me all night, and I'm more than relieved that Toppa obviously knew what to do in that situation.

Here are some pictures of me and Toppa. The other horse is Stjarna, the horse the lady rode yesterday.

Needless to say, every single bone and muscle in my body is aching today! LOL

Kirsten

Awh the horses are so adorable.
    Looks like you had a blast!
    I remember when i first rode a horse, i was so sore the next day as well.
    Or more like for a week i was sore.
    Though it was definitely worth it!
    [muneca]&[chiquita]

If I'm right then horseriding can even be good for the back as you need the muscles to keep you straight.
    They are both so cute- lovely faces

Those are the cutest horses! Nice pics of you Kirsten.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Glad you like them! Yes, they're beautiful horses, and very good-natured.

I remember when i first rode a horse, i was so sore the next day as well.
    Or more like for a week i was sore.

So am I! LOL I still am! But it's been worth it!

Kirsten

Soncat and I both rode horses but unfortunately it doesn't fit in our schedules anymore. Soncat was a jumper and has won 40 ribbons jumping in competitions. My passion was dressage. Soncat worked as a stable manager for a few years and was also a riding instructor. He taught therapeutic riding to physically and mentally disabled children, three of his students medaled in the special olympics. He also taught able bodied and was my instructor for awhile. We had a joke going; he would say "The only reason you don't want to jump is you're too scared." My response always was, "You're right, I am. The only reason you don't do dressage is you can't ride a straight line" To that he would always agree.

Riding is a very enjoyable experience and you use muscles for riding that aren't used in other activities. After lessons I'd ache for days.....but it hurt so good. The horses are beautiful! I hope you enjoy riding as much as we do! Just one thing, always wear a helmet!!!!!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Aren't horses just wonderful? Even when they are being naughty I can't help but love them. I am also glad to see that you are wearing a proper riding hat, because while they can mean no harm, they are big and accidents can happen.

Niño & Eliza

You look like you had a wonderful time! The horses are beautiful. I remember when I use to do horseback riding. I haven't done it in awhile though because of school, I've been real busy. But I always use to have the greatest time. Horses are amazing animals.

Kirsten - Neat pictures-this is the first time I've actually seen anyone ride an Icelandic - we don't have those here. Don't worry about falling off, the pony isn't very high so I don't think you'll get hurt. Glad to see you're being smart about wearing a helmet though. Horses and ponies are pretty surefooted, trust it to not go where it knows it will be unsafe. You'll be hooked in no time and probably will end up owning your own...lucky you.

Yes, you're right, horses are wonderful animals. Never had the chance before in my life to be around them, so I'm really grateful for the offer to ride one now.

Yes, I was also told that Icelandics are very surefooted, which was a good thing when we rode down that steep forest hill - not on a path, but between the trees. I just trusted "my" horse and thought she would probably know what to do. LOL And she did a great job!

Unfortunately, I had to cancel my next lesson this week because I'm ill, but I hope I can ride again in a couple of weeks.

You'll be hooked in no time and probably will end up owning your own...lucky you.
    Well, guess unless I'd win the lottery, I won't.

Kirsten