Thread: Wild mushrooms

Wild mushrooms

We have had a bunch of rain lately, and as a result our lawn has cropped up with TONS (literally hundreds) of huge icky slimy wild mushrooms. It doesn't help that the river is right behind our house, and so everything tends to be damper than most lawns. Malone hasn't shown much interest (sniffs briefly and then turns away), but I am worried that his silly doggie brain will at some point think it would be a good thing to eat. There is NO way we can pull out that many mushrooms (we have over an acre of lawn). Is there some pet-safe remedy to kill these? Has anybody else had experience with these? Any advice/help would really be appreciated.

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    We have them too, but Cookie shows no interest. I don't think they taste too good either. Cookie rather pulls out big bundles of grass.

About a week ago Bella came in from being in the yard quite a while and threw up. I didn't think too much of it because dogs sometimes eat grass and they throw up. Later on that same day I was outside with her and I noticed her busy at a tree stump. When I got closer I saw her with a mushroom in her mouth. Fortunately for me she dropped it. I quickly threw it away and put her inside. Then I came out and, with a little hatchett sliced away all of the mushrooms that were growing along that stump as well as another one. In your case, with over an acre of land with mushrooms growing, obviously you have a larger problem. I guess the only thing you can do is watch Malone very carefully. It sounds like he is not interested so maybe you don't have much to worry about. Unfortunately I imagine anything that would kill the mushrooms would be harmful to pets. Good luck!

We have thoses but usually we just pull them out and we don`t need any of that remedy stuff to kill them.

I know how you feel.
    I have a mushroom problem in the winter and spring.
    (and I only have 1/3 acre)
    Every morning I do a lawn check to pull up any mushrooms.
    Their is a fungus product I have seen at the garden shops, but
    I never checked it out.
    I am afraid to put anything on my back lawn since my dogs eat grass.

Your neighborhood nursery might be able
    to tell you if their is a animal safe product on the
    market.
    IF their is, even then I would jot down the manufacturer and call them and double check.

Let us know what you find out.

----<---<--<{(@

Actually, first you should figure out what kind of mushrooms they are. They COULD be harmless ones, so you don't need to worry about them. Is there a county extension service or some other local authority you could check with?

gosh that is a dilemma. Tango has never paid them any attention. But he also has never been surrounded with that many of them. Best of luck to you.