Thread: Tennis, anyone?

Tennis, anyone?

Kim Clijsters won the Women's Final at the U.S. Open tonight - in straight sets. From Belgium, she is the first Mom to win the Open since Evonne Goolagong Cawley did it back in 1980.

Kim did win the Open back in 2005; she took the last 3 years off from tennis to get married and have a baby, Jada, who is 18 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post

Kim Clijsters won the Women's Final at the U.S. Open tonight - in straight sets.
    Did she have to break any raquets or beat up any Officials to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke View Post
    Did she have to break any raquets or beat up any Officials to do it?

Not a one

Maybe she and Kanye West can get together and teach a manners and etiquette class?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I have to chuckle at the kerfluffle about Ms. Williams' tirade.

John McEnroe, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Maybe she and Kanye West can get together and teach a manners and etiquette class?
    I'll say!! Was it a full moon this past weekend??

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    I'll say!! Was it a full moon this past weekend??
    I don't mind a good player/ump-ref-judge rumble now and then.
    I like the baseball manager that goes nuts-I find those encounters entertaining and funny.

I don't like the spitting/threatening/getting into an officials face.

If I was the line judge, and seeing the a-holery that some racket wielding Amazon was performing in front of me? I'd be a little rattled too.

The premise that a 'foot fault' violation is never called at 'that point in a game' is ridiculous and stupid. Why have rules in the first place? Or do we suspend all rules and laws when it suits the situation?

------------

My brothers coached an adult softball team that were DQ'ed because a player on the team spit into the face of an umpire that made a call that went against him.

It didn't seem to matter that they were playing for the league championship and it wasn't the fault of the other 14 players on the team. The ump-who used to ump the games I played in - was a stand up guy and I really didn't blame him for calling the game. God knows what kind of problems would have gone on if he hadn't stopped the game!

-----------------

LOLOLOL, she just put out a statement saying that she was sorry and apologized to the judge, her opponent and the public. Probably the investigation and the possibility of her having more sanctions against her gnarly persona made her "get some sorry"? I guess 350k is quite a bit of money to lose?
    Last edited by RICHARD; 09-14-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Now with 20% more!

Tennis needs the Willliams sisters, not vice versa

I read the comment "tennis needs the Williams sisters, not nice versa" somewhere on the web. How very true.

There is no good excuse for the Potty Mouth, other than having a hot head when not winning at a game she usually excels in...... They fined her $10,500 and she lost the match when the point was assessed for her behavior. Too bad. Such is life.

This too will pass. Should she be punished anymore or less than anyone else? Gee, who really cares? I know I don't. She is one more sports figure, acting badly. They are easy to come by these days.

Let's watch the better behaved sports figures and let the rest be.

Serena's tirade was inexcusable all the way around. She came out acting like a raving lunatic out of the middle of nowhere. Now, she apologises to all her fans and everything is supposed to be okay?

I really have no desire to watch her again. I agree that we should pay attention to the well behaved sports figures. Such an insult to all of us to watch the way some of these people act. Geeeeee.......I really think I could muster up some better behavior if I were making all that money and being watched by millions of people.
    I only get satisfaction in seeing how stupid they seem to feel after the whole thing is over.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I just watched the end of the Federer-Del Potro match with my dad, who follows tennis. Whew!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/09/12/j...sy-to-clown%2F

Hmm,

I guess being polite has had it's day.

I am a peripheral BB fan and saw parts of Jordan's speech.

Wow, what a load.

I so wanted to see Robinson, but thought it started later than it did. Thankfully, I did not watch that ego trip.

Yeah!!! Kim did it!! All Belgians were so sad when she decided to stop playing tennis 3 years ago...! She got married, got a lovely little girl, and then she started missing top-tennis. It is fabulous what she did in the US Open grand slam!! I am so proud of her!!
    He he, she is a Dutch speaking Belgian too

I loved it when little Jada came on the court after the ceremony!! She really stole the show

This are my favorite pictures I saw in the papers:

By the way, did anyone notice that another Belgian girl is playing better every time? She lost in the semi finals against the girl who was defeated by Clijsters in the finals: Yanina Wickmayer ! She is on rank 22 now!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Richard!!! Did you notice the pics I posted???
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Great pictures. How cool is that, to have your Mom as your hero.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt