Thread: What not to do when moving your office

What not to do when moving your office

As part of the whole re-do the floor thing, we decided to move the office to the spare bedroom on the second floor. Everything went smoothly.... from bringing everything upstairs, to setting up the new desk, to moving all the wires. We even brought the cable from the first floor to the second floor!

So what shouldn't you do? DROP THE COMPUTER just as you're finishing it all up. I killed it. Its only 9 months old, and took a major beating. Thank goodness we saved the old one. It booted up and is running. But the problem with the old one is that it shuts off randomly. A million virus scans showed nothing to cause it, outside of the fact that its 5 years old.

I REALLY don't wanna buy a new computer, especially since I was the stupid idiot with butter fingers who broke a perfectly good machine

Did you try putting the new one back together? If things got jostled and jarred, maybe boards came unseated, but would be okay if removed and put back in? The old one's issue - have you tried substituting a new power supply into it? If it is overheating that may be why it randomly shuts down, but a new power supply would be cheaper than a whole new computer ...
    I've Been Frosted

For the old one... Rie thought her old one had died a permanent death and Best Buy comfirmed it so they bought a new one. The old one was taken to someone to hopefully retrieve the pictures and stuff saved on the old computer. Imagine their surprise when the man called them and told then all that was wrong with the computer was the on/off switch as wore out. Total cost of fixing it was $70... Try replacing the on/off switch... it could be bad.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    Try replacing the on/off switch... it could be bad.
    Im assuming with the bad switch the lights on the front wont come on.

Im guessing bad motherboard, replacing that would be way cheaper then a whole new computer. A new mobo and processor would still be cheaper then a new comp, as long as you do it yourself.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.