Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Update #92 -- Morgan has no more mouth problems.

Update #92 -- Morgan has no more mouth problems.

My baby has a big sore in his mouth. I'm not sure if it is an infected tooth or not, but it could be. I finally put together a few things he has been doing. Nothing that by itself indicated anything was wrong. But last night I put them all together and thought something might be wrong with his mouth. I was in bed then. I forgot about it until I was walking out the door this morning. I wish I had looked then, but I didn't look until I got back home around 5. Of course the vet's office is closed until Monday. Is there anything I can do for him to make him more comfortable or help heal before taking him to the vet first thing Monday. The ER vet is over an hour away and if necessary I will take him there, but he hates being in the car. He does eat some although not as much as usual. It bothers him if I look at it too much. So I am trying to leave it alone. My friend has some Clindamyacin left from her dog last week. They are capsules and 75mg each. She is sending them to me tonight. I could open them and give him some of that if I knew what amount would work for him. He usually gets it in liquid form. I don't know what to do. He's 11 years old and diabetic, even though that is controlled with food and not insulin at the moment. I'm planning on leaving to go to Disney a week from Thursday. I don't want to go if my baby isn't feeling better. I know many of you have dealt with mouth problems with your kitties. I've read many of the threads, but of course the information doesn't make as big of an impression when you haven't dealt with it yourself.
    Last edited by Moesha; 10-05-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Title

Guesswork with antibiotics is probably a bad idea - if it is bacterial, expired antibiotics, the wrong kind, or not enough could just strengthen the bugs.

An ice cube in his water might help him numb it by drinking. Is he getting soft food? If he gets kibble, moistening it might help.

Best of luck to both of you! Please keep us posted.

Love, Columbine

The antibiotics were prescribed last week so they are fresh. He loves canned food, but if he eats too much of it, more than a teaspoon, he pukes it up. I gave him more earlier, and he puked. I have given him some baked chicken. I wish I had looked in his mouth this morning. I could have taken him in and gotten medicine for him then. I feel like such a bad mommy. He still is acting like himself though.

Where exactly is this "sore"? That's of huge importance. I'm serious, PM me; I'll call you.

Maggie
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

It is toward the back of his mouth on the right side. I think it has been bothering him for a little while but I didn't recognize the signs. He's been drooling for a couple of weeks, but only when he is purring. He eats, but not as much as usual. I'm sure that is why.

Have they ruled out thyroid? Usually the sore in the mouth is one of the first signs, along with vomiting. Since he is 11, it might be a good idea to rule that out.

I've got 2 senior cats here and worry all the time. Mollie Rose is showing signs of kidney probs. She drinks alot of water and pees alot. I know it's only a matter of time. I've been assured by the vet that she is comfortable (with the held of chlortimeton for allergies) and not in any pain.

Good luck with Morgan and please, keep us posted on Morgan.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks moosmom. I'll ask the vet tomorrow. But I'm pretty sure it is a tooth. He hasn't been vomiting regularly. He only did that after eating the larger amount of canned food last night. That is something that he's done for years. In fact, when he went to the vet a few months back because of possible crystals and he had to stay over night. The vet was really concerned and did a full panel blood work on him because he was vomiting then. They were giving him canned food to eat because it was higher in water content. That was the problem. He has eaten this morning and doesn't seem to be in obvious discomfort. He was his usual attention. Every once in a while I will notice him moving his tongue around inside his mouth like he is licking at something. I am leaving now for a few hours. When I get back I may call the ER vet to ask them about the antibiotics. I'm sure they won't give me medical advice over the phone though. So I'll probably only call if he gets worse. Other than that, we'll be making a trip to the local vet first thing tomorrow morning.

I'll be curious as to what the vet says.\

Good luck, Moesha.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

did you find out what the sore is?

I'll call the vet's office when they open at 8 this morning and take him in first thing.

I haven't been on PT too much lately but I just want to add my good wishes and prayers that all will be well w/Morgan. I'll wait for a good report.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I hope that everything will turn out okay for him and that it's nothing too serious. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately it is not good news. I am updating from the blackberry, so can't
    Go into much detail. Vet looked at it and immediately said, "Oh, Moe. That is a tumor.". He is removing it and doing a biopsy today. I will know more after that. Biopsy results won't be back for 5 days. I will try to tether this thing to the laptop after I am done cleaning this house to do some research and post more here. It does not look good for my baby right now.

Oh my- isn't it just terrible- you think there is something wrong- but it doesn't make the impression of being all too bad- and then you go- and there it is, a really big scary problem. I hope so much it can be treated. Sending all my best wishes to you and Morgan.

Oh Moesha, I'm sorry about Morgan. Maybe they caught it in time. Please tell us the minute you hear anything.

You need to talk, I'll PM you with my phone number. I have unlimited minutes so I can call you right back.