Thread: pregnant stray

pregnant stray

hi we have three male dogs already now a stray which strangely enough is one of our dogs mum, however she has turned up looking incredibly pregnant i am feeding providing a bed and water and i am happy to have her whelp with us even though she is cranky expectant mum.. We want to do the best by her as she seems to have adopted us!!!! Any help would be greatfully received

Just make her comfortable. When the time comes, she will know what to do. I would take her to the vet and get her and the puppies checked out after she delivers and definitely have the mom spayed.

pregnant stray

thanks look like our house is getting bigger and bigger must admit in foal mares are a lot easier!!!!

Make sure you're feeding her a high quality puppy food and make sure you are prepared if she has to have an emergency c-section at the vets!!! I hope all goes well make sure you post pics. Is she due soon? What breed is she? I agree have her spayed and the pups fixed as well before adopting them out.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

i agree with spaying and neutering most definately, just wish others would as well as looking after their animals. She looks like she is not too far off, i would hazard a guess at a couple of weeks, and as far as breed looks like a black lab crossed with possibly a husky we have her son as she dropped it off last year... as to what the father of the litter is we have no idea. Unfortunately we will have to pass the puppies onto a rescue group which will be a no kill shelter as we do not have the room.

Just make sure she has food and water available, and you might want to get a box ready with some old soft blankets or towels that she can use for a whelping box.
    I've Been Frosted

update

well my guess of a week or two was off she delivered 9 healthy pups on the 16th all weighing about 1lb2oz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	43813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	280.6 KB 
ID:	43814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	017.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	274.0 KB 
ID:	43815  

Wow! Every one looks shiny and healthy, congratulations!
    I've Been Frosted

Wowie Look at all the little furballs.. so cute! And Shiny too!

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

thank you and all the little ones and mom are doing really well huge contented tummys!!! All bar two are boys..
    although i must say the providing a place to whelp was the biggest decision and after extracting her from the bottom of the haystack we decided safer to let her whelp in the bathroom closet not the bedroom as she wanted!!! or the hay or behind the boat all of which were too dangerous not that this occured to her!!!
    thank you to all the words of wisdom

Awww, good job everyone! So seven boys and two girls? Are they all solid black?
    I've Been Frosted

no not all black there is only a couple of solid black the rest have varying degrees of white they are soo cute and squeaky/chatty bless them my old gsd is turning into a concerned uncle although they are too scary to get too close to as he cant understand things that small!!!! so what do you own??

Beautiful puppies

Seem to really favor Mom. Nine healthy pups. That is really good. I almost never hear of that many without a sad loss or two. Yours seem to e doing just fine. She must just be a natural Mom. But let's let this be her last litter. She deserves the rest!