Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: it was a crystal blue morning....

it was a crystal blue morning....

and i was on my way to work. i know exactly where i was standing when trish told me about the first plane. when the second plane hit, i found an old radio in the storeroom and turned on NPR. by the time we learned about the 3rd plane, the very early internet hookups we had at work were all trying to reach a news organization website. annies dad called her from pennsylvania cause he heard the crash in shankeville and wanted her to know he was okay. i think about the airtraffic controllers who saw the planes disappear from their screens, i pray for the guard who was doing his duty at the tomb of the unknown as the plane screamed past his station to find the pentagon that crystal blue day, not so long ago.... god save the united states of america, amen and amen.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I think no one who lived to see that day will ever forget the moment he learned about the horrible events. I, for my part, will always remember that dreadful day. Here in Germany, it was afternoon already; I was at work when I got an email from a friend... I remember how I drove home, listening to the scary news on the radio, then rushing home to turn on the tv, and my computer, to see how my American friends were doing... And I remember talking to a friend on the phone, who was deeply shaken, like I was, and we both cried....

I think I have must have seen these pictures of the burning twin towers a hundred times or more on tv now, and still they are driving tears to my eyes.

Today, my thoughts are with those who have lost their lives that day, and with their families and friends, but also with those who have lost their lives in the wars following the terrorist attacks. So many people's world has never been the same since 9/11!

Kirsten

I was sleeping, having worked the night shift at the newspaper, when I got a phone call from my daughter to QUICKLY turn on the tv, that a plane had hit the WTC. My daughter, being the drama queen she can sometimes be, had panic in her voice. I flipped on the tv just when they were announcing it. All I could do was cry. I was more worried about my former sis-in-law than my own brother, because she owns a travel agency and travels VERY frequently.

I don't think anyone will forget exactly there they are and what they were doing when this tragedy struck. I know I won't.

Thanks for this wonderful thread, Joycenalax. I think it's a wonderful tribute to all those who gave their lives.

May I suggest a moment of silence for those fallen, and the families they left behind?? Let's also go and light candles.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I was driving into work and heard about it on the car radio. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. When the boss got in we cancelled all of the patients for the day and we went home to sit in front of the TV and cry.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I was in my office and on the phone with a client in TX. She was working from home and had her t.v. on and said a plane had hit the WTC. We speculated about how big a plane - she thought a commuter plane. After the conversation was over, I went into the kitchen at work and turned on the t.v. and saw the horror unfolding, and by that time, many of my co-workers were streaming in since they were getting word of it too.

My boss called in to me a short time later, wanting to know what was going on. He was stuck on a plane waiting to take off from Baltimore, and none of the passengers were being told exactly what the problem was. As I was speaking with him, I learned the Pentagon was hit.

Such a terribly sad day for all mankind - one you wish you could forget. Those images are burned into my mind, and nothing short of my own demise, will make them go away.

Peace to all - to those who perished, the injured survivors, and the loved ones of all of them.
    May God protect us all..............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I was born and raised in Brooklyn NY, worked in Manhattan for many years and my former husband actually worked in the WTC before we moved to FL. It had been an emotional, confusing morning already because my mom went to the hospital in an emergency situation, my husband was in or on his way to Boston for business and I couldn't get in touch with him and I was actually home from work that day. I was talking on the phone with my sister trying to find out what was going on with my mom and heard about the first attack on the news. They didn't actually know what was going on yet. Then the second plane hit and everything became different in my entire life. It was like they crashed it right into my heart. . .this is my hometown and I knew people who worked in and around that area. I still had some family there and couldn't get in touch. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I recently found out that a childhood friend of my lost her husband who was a firefighter in the 9/11 attack. I have tried to get in touch with her to no avail but I hope that one day I will see her again and give her the hug that is waiting for her.

My heart is back in NYC today.

Cathy

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

I was at work, it was the afternoon and someone heard the news about the first plane on the radio. I tried to search for more info on Internet. When I came back home I watched the news on TV and saw the images! It was so unbelievable. That day and the days after, I think we all felt very close to our American friends, wherever we were in the world.

I was at work, on the phone with my very favorite customer, and he said, "Oh my God they flew a plane into the World Trade Center!". We both got off the phone in shock. I had my computer up with the internet minimized and restored the screen to CNN.com - it was the only computer in the building able to access; the sites were jammed, but mine was already up, so I just kept it there all day. We just couldn't believe all that was happening. All those people...

When we saw the people fleeing in all that debris, one of the first things my husband and I could think of was his Aunt Gussie. She lives alone in Brooklyn and, at the time, was 85; we couldn't get through to her for days. We knew the debris affected all the way to Brooklyn. Turned out she was (and is) OK.

I am deeply sorry for all the victims and their families; still. Those scars will not fade any time soon.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I was washing dog dishes at the vet clinic and listening to the radio. The first plane hit and everyone thought it was a stange airline accident. Then the 2nd plane hit the other tower and everyone knew it was not a coincidence. I stopped what I was doing and migrated to the front lobby where the TV was and saw images of the Pentagon in flames. It was very scary, even though I was 1000 miles away. After all of the TV coverage became monotonous and I turned it off it was still eerily solemn, even outside- I lived near a military base and was suddenly made aware of what it was like to NOT have planes flying over on a regular basis. Even the military was grounded and the silence was deafening.

If anyone has a chance to watch "102 minutes that changed America", please watch it! It was comprised entirely of personal video footage shot by New Yorkers as the events were unfolding. There is no commentary other than what everyday individuals were saying as they were filming. You really get a sense of the confusion and fear of the situation.

EDIT: looks like it will air tonight on the History channel

I was in my living room with LOH and our 3 week old daughter.

I was getting ready to go back to work that afternoon, as I had taken some time off from work for MJ's welcome home/welcome to the world.

We were sitting watching a movie, and the phone rang.

It was Karen, wanting to know if I had heard from the Army. Huh? Yeah, we're at war.

Huh?

She told me to turn on CNN, I did, and after a few minutes of conversation I called my unit to report in.

sirius, port authority dog

this is from an internet article, care2.com...... The only dog to lose his life in the disaster was a Yellow Labrador Retriever named Sirius. He worked for the Port Authority as a bomb-detection dog alongside his partner Sergeant David Lim. Lim and Sirius were in the basement of the South Tower when the North Tower was attacked. He put the 4-year-old dog in his kennel and left to check on the situation.
    “I told him, I think we’re in a lot of trouble right now,” said Lim, who assumed he and Sirius had somehow failed to detect an explosive. “I said, I’ll be back for you.”
    But before Lim could return, the South Tower collapsed followed by the North Tower. Lim was trapped on the fourth floor with six firefighters and an injured woman. They were all safely rescued five hours later.
    Lim came back for Sirius as he promised, but it was too late. He continued to look for his partner until eventually – on Jan. 22, 2002 the dog’s remains were uncovered.
    The Port Authority held a memorial service in his honor and have since built a memorial at Battery Park with a dog run.
    a line of duty death....faithful dog
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I was at work and my co-worker had the radio on. Once the second plane hit I looked at Sharon and said we are under attack. She looked at me and no sound came out of her mouth.
    I ran to the computer, my son was on an Air Craft Carrier headed for the Middle East I know I had only moments to e-mail him before all communcation would be shut down.
    I remember my words.
    "I know where you are, I know where you are going, be careful, I love you so much"
    His ship was the first one there, trying to keep peace. I was so scared for him.
    My other son was in boot camp in Texas. I prayed and said "please God don't send them both there" my prayers were answersed. They were both there but at seperate times.
    As a mom I had no idea how long or to what extent this would be and I was so afraid for my boys, my country and all that I loved and all living beings man and beast.
    Sept 11 is also the day my mom had her car accident 9/11/94, she died on the 22th. Never waking from the coma, I could only hold her hand and talk to her, not knowing if she heard me. Her neck was broken, we had no idea if she would be able to move at all if she awoke. It was hell on earth. The worst time of my life by far. I have always dreaded 9/11.

May you never been forgotten Sirius.
    Quote Originally Posted by joycenalex View Post
    this is from an internet article, care2.com...... The only dog to lose his life in the disaster was a Yellow Labrador Retriever named Sirius. He worked for the Port Authority as a bomb-detection dog alongside his partner Sergeant David Lim. Lim and Sirius were in the basement of the South Tower when the North Tower was attacked. He put the 4-year-old dog in his kennel and left to check on the situation.
    “I told him, I think we’re in a lot of trouble right now,” said Lim, who assumed he and Sirius had somehow failed to detect an explosive. “I said, I’ll be back for you.”
    But before Lim could return, the South Tower collapsed followed by the North Tower. Lim was trapped on the fourth floor with six firefighters and an injured woman. They were all safely rescued five hours later.
    Lim came back for Sirius as he promised, but it was too late. He continued to look for his partner until eventually – on Jan. 22, 2002 the dog’s remains were uncovered.
    The Port Authority held a memorial service in his honor and have since built a memorial at Battery Park with a dog run.
    a line of duty death....faithful dog

Every year on this day I should remember to wear waterproof mascara. I always end up in tears just thinking back to that horrible day.
    Being on the left coast it was very early in the morning and I was getting ready for work and always had my stereo on. I heard it on the radio and turned the TV on to see.
    I worked at a day care center at that time so we were all told what we should say to the children. Well, I was working in the infant room at the time. But my co-teacher at the time was from Afghanistan and we did not get along even before this event. That day there was an usual silence between us. She was not as bitter and snippy with me as she usually was. It was nice while it lasted.
    As the DJ on my radio station this morning stated, it was nice how American's came together even just for a brief time. It seemed like everyone was just genuinely nice to each other. We really did unite through this difficult time.

I have a friend who celebrates his birthday today. For the past 8 years he has not been able to celebrate it like he used to. In fact, he sometimes prefers to not even acknowledge it.

I know I will be thinking of this all day (as I did yesterday and will tomorrow) and wish everyone affected by this the best.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

It was a crystal blue morning but it was also one of the darkest days for mankind.

For all who lost their lives that day we pray..........and for all of us who remain, we pray we can make our earth a peaceful place to live.