Thread: Traveling and Trav Cheques and Bank cards...

Traveling and Trav Cheques and Bank cards...

A lot of you travel, so you might know this already:

Mom and I are leaving for a New England cruise on Friday. Yesterday we went to get travellers cheques.

The clerk advised us not to, as she knows first hand and from others about them not being accepted (except, perhaps, at banks) even at a 5 star hotel. (I would usually cash mine at a bank before I ever used them).

She also told us to call our bank and credit card companies, and tell them when we would be away and roughly where. Otherwise, it could look like our cards are stolen and being used by someone else in another place.

Just thought I would pass this on.....
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Did the calls to credit card companies when we went to Brazil and hubby's card still got turned off half way thru the vacation. So beware, things can still happen regardless of the precautions.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

LOL, I have had my card cancelled here when I made a donation to a Canadian Pet Hospital, as I had filled up with gas, or made some small purchase here, in Cincinnati within a couple of hours.

Ha! Why didn't you post this two months ago! I learned this the hard way. I didn't even think about my credit card when we went on vacation. I called my cell phone provider though.
    We were in Victoria, BC eating lunch and our card was denied. I had to sit out in the parking lot on my cell phone (ended up being a $10 call) to get it straightened out. They asked me how long I'd be on vacation and set it accordingly. The thing is we were using our joint account and I hardly EVER use that card at all.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Yes, call your card companies and let them know. Also get the direct number to call them back in case the card is blocked as some blocks are done automatic by the computer fraud detection software system. Yes I did fraud prevention for 10 years and took the irate call backs, lol. The worse thing you can do is use your card at a gas pump and then immediately make another purchase, as that is how crooks test stolen cards to see if they have been cancelled yet, in the pump so they don't have to present it to anyone. Criminals ruin it for everyone Kelley

I've been given travelers checks three times in the last two years at the store and they all ended up being fraudulent. Got ID's etc and we were covered but just the same, I won't take them anymore. I can't think of a reason in the world in 2009 anyone would use travelers checks
    I would call your credit cards and write down the number where to call direct if you have a problem. Happy trails!