Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Comfy Muzzle.. Is there a thing? Digi is going to kill herself if this keeps up.

A Comfy Muzzle.. Is there a thing? Digi is going to kill herself if this keeps up.

Digi is sick again, nothing like before, so no worrying, yet.. I think I got the Pepto into her just in time & I've given it to her a couple of times already to make sure her digestive system gets the aid the Pepto will do.

I was soooo stupid. I left the gate down & Digi went into the kitchen & got into the trash, all my bread, & my hot cereal. There was SOOOOOOOO much of everything everywhere including chewed pop cans (she really likes pepsi)

I don't want to keep her locked up all her life & I'm only human so I'm not perfect but I'm trying so hard. Sure her kennel is large but it's still small to be locked in all day & when I go to bed. She just can't keep out of things & I'm hoping a muzzle will solve this issue.

Is there a muzzle that can be worn all day that is comfy, will allow her to open her mouth all the way or at least a lot, & wont make her skin raw?

I'm designing one for walks thats also hard to notice, but it wont be any good for long term use like I want.

I can't think of one that can be worn all day. Do you have a room that you can lock her in so she has enough room to be comfortable for a long period of time and not get into stuff? Like a bathroom or kitchen(garbage can locked away of course)?
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by lute View Post
    I can't think of one that can be worn all day. Do you have a room that you can lock her in so she has enough room to be comfortable for a long period of time and not get into stuff? Like a bathroom or kitchen(garbage can locked away of course)?
    I lock her in the living room as it's the safest room for her. The bedroom is locked & shes BANNED from being free in there, as she'll pee on my bed. She's banned from teh kitchen cause thats where I cook my food & I do my best to keep it clean but I can't risk not seeing a little piece of hamburger or cheese on the floor & have her eat it.

To keep her safe means to lock her up in the kennel, but it's so cruel as I'm at work from 8am-6pm (city traffic). Thats why I got Cam (kitten), as she keeps Digi company while I'm at work.

Hmmm.. this got me thinking.. maybe I could attach a chain to a cinder block in the living room near her bed. This will give her use of most of the living room (it's HUGE) & she wont be able to go anywhere. But I'm not sure if the chain is safe for Cam to be near.. it might snag her. Digi knows how to move when on a chain & knows how to get out of a tangle.. But she wont understand if Cam gets snagged... *bangs head on desk*

This is why I'm starting to get really flustered
    I don't know how to keep her happy & safe at the same time

A chain in the house is probably not a good idea. Who knows what she would get hung up on and she may try to get loose and hang herself. I'm stumped. If you have a yard can you keep her fenced in or buy a kennel so she can have run of it during the day and bring her inside in the evening.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I'm grasping at ideas here for you. But is there anyone that lives near you that you could trust to come over mid-day and let Digi out (of her kennel) to potty and play with her for a bit?

Also, I'm not clear on one thing. You say you lock her in the living room. Is the living room connected to the kitchen? Because your problem was her getting into the kitchen garbage or anything off the kitchen floor. If yes, is there a way to block the kitchen off from the living room? Baby gates or something.

I hope you can find a way to keep her safe and happy. I know how upsetting it can be when you worry about them.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by lute View Post
    A chain in the house is probably not a good idea. Who knows what she would get hung up on and she may try to get loose and hang herself. I'm stumped. If you have a yard can you keep her fenced in or buy a kennel so she can have run of it during the day and bring her inside in the evening.
    I'm 12 stories up & Digi is the type of dog to jump after a pidgin, so the door is locked & she's never allowed on it.

This is to give a rough idea of the layout

Kitchen entrance is to the right of the front door
    http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Rand..._4825.JPG.html

The couch blocks access to the dinning area (temp storage area) & access to the other entrance to the kitchen
    http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Rand..._4828.JPG.html

The hall to the bathroom & bedroom
    http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Rand..._4831.JPG.html

You probably hadn't seen my post yet when you posted. But from your pictures it looks like you could get baby gates. Actually it looks like you already have one there by the hallway entrance. If she jumps it just stack two on top of each other. We do that when we have to leave the dogs for too long. Your living room is HUGE!! And hardwood flooring. That is doggie heaven!!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Well until you figure something out don't feel too bad about the Kennel option short term. When I was thinking about adopting a dog from the pound I was hesitant because of my work schedule. I have a friend who fosters dalmations and he told me that dogs are den animals anyway and they sleep most of the day in their den and are active at night, for hunting lol. My husband went out on disability a month later so is home with Valentine now but, of course a kennel is just a plush, usually well ventilated den sitting in an air conditioned house. Then they can hunt at night, in our case hunting for treats and attention. I don't like it all day either but if is safest that is what matters Kelley

I don't think there's anything like an all-day muzzle. If the problem is you forgetting to lock the gate, maybe two things are in order - either bag up and remove all trash before you leave for work each day, post yourself a note by the door to check all gates are locked before you lave, and another on your pillow so you do so at night, too. Make it a routine ...

Digi is big enough to drag around a cinder block, no problem, and both the cinderblock and the chain would scratch the heck out of your floor, so neither sounds like an option that would work, frankly!
    I've Been Frosted

Gates, gates and more gates. Best solution ever for keeping 15 year old Sasha safe from 1 year old Chance the monster lab puppy. When she wants a break from him she goes in "her room" and I close the gate. The kitties are agile enough to hop the gate if they too need a rest from Chance.

Try the gate option. Stack if needed.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Your place is huge and looks really nice. I have to keep saying what a gorgeous girl Digi is! She looks so much like my ex SIL's year old dog, who also has the worse allergies. They could pass for twins.

Anyhow, when RB Cody was in his rambuctious stage, we gated everywhere. Our house has a kitchen door, and of course bedroom and bathroom doors, otherwise, it's all open. As powerful as he was, he could not jump them, nor knock them over. Good luck. I feel bad for you and the baby girl. I know you want to do what's best.

I've been Boooo'd!

Thanks everyone.

I put a note on my front door to check all gates before leaving.

Digi's allergies are such a mental strain on me. But I love her so much I always try to do whats best for her. I seem to fail a lot as her darn allergies are sooo hard to avoid as I'm a meat & dairy eater.

Whats good is that Digi will not jump the gate, but I'm too short to climb over it. Thats why I take it down when I'm home.. I've now gotten into the habit of leaning it up against the door frame at all times. So IF I happen to forget to lock it it's still there. Digi wont try to go through it as hes very dainty & skittish cause it'll move.

She is feeling better now & she didn't get too sick.. just a LOT of icky stool & she peed in the house a couple of times. But she's been normal since sat evening.

Well what if you got one of those gates that have a piece you can open to walk through but when you close the part you walk through, it's still a gate?
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    Well what if you got one of those gates that have a piece you can open to walk through but when you close the part you walk through, it's still a gate?
    They makes gates with a door?

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    That's right! I actually was just thinking of these the other day, because I'd like one.

Here is one. I just googled baby gate with door. There are actually several styles.