Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maine Coon Cat

Maine Coon Cat

I have a 3 year old Maine Coon Brown Classic Tabby with white.(girl) If you have a Maine Coon or know Maine Coons: I would love to hear and compare. I am in love with the breed.

What are two or three things you like about Maine Coons?

Your cat sounds a lot like my Lady Olivia d'Flufferuni (Livvy). She's the brown Maine Coon in my avatar. She was born 11 Apr 1999.

I think it's her affectionate nature that is my favorite characteristic. I adore cuddling with her and just wish that she felt like it more: it has to be when SHE initiates it, you understand. Livvy looks Maine Coon, but I recently learned that her mother was at least half Siamese. (What a surprise!) I'm scheduled to pick up new photos of Livvy (and her silver swirl tabby brother Cassy) tomorrow. If any turn out decent I'll post some here.

Tell us more about your cat.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Silver Prince is an all blue maine coon. In fact, he looks like an overgrown Russian Blue. Prince is only about 7 months old and already weighs nearly 6 lbs. He is as large as Tiger. I enjoy his gentle nature. Of all of the furkids that I have, he is the only one who has not left any claw marks on me! He is not a lap kitty, but just the same is affectionate, as long as he has all 4 paws on the floor or table. Speaking of his paws, they look like those of a small dog.

..............wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 11-13-2002 at 08:03 AM.

You asked about my Maine Coon

Gustava(Gracie), our 4 year old Maine Coon, is a really sweet girl. I call her my flying cat. My other two cats; Flory, I call the fat cat, and Taylor I call the fast cat. The reason I say 'flying cat' is that although Gracie is laid back as can be sometimes if she decides to bolt over some matter like surprise visitors - she does move so fast you'd think she flies. Whoooosh!

She is my second Maine Coon. Our first, a boy, also Brown Classic with White only very large, died almost two years ago and I was really sad, but then I got our girl from a breeder. No one could replace our big, beautiful boy. No one should have to. Our girl is just herself like he was himself, but she has captured my heart just as he once did. She was a retired breeder(2 gorgeous litters) and show cat. She is small for a Maine Coon. Just weighed her today at 10.5 lbs.
    Her colors are striking with just a bit more tan than you usually see on a Brown Classic with white.
    She talks in her own special language which usually I can decipher, and loves to do laps - yes, I do understand that it is on her terms rather than mine. She also knocks on the bedroom door if it is closed. Of course, she is indoor, has her claws, but has a wonderful cattery exercise room and also a nice, big screened porch to enjoy and share with our other kitties. She plays with her mouse mostly as well as the cat top(wheel and ping pong ball) and loves to sleep with me. I think she is Purrrfect, natch! Had her to the vet today for her check-up. She is in purrrfect health too!

BTW, Wayne, a breeder friend of mine has a MC who sounds a lot like Silver Prince. She calls him Sterling.

Catwhisperer, I am beginning to think that an all-blue maine coon is a "rare bird". I have only heard of 2 of them on Pet Talk. One day I went hunting on the internet, looking for a picture of an all-blue maine coon, and found none. In fact, there wasn't even mention of such a cat!

..................wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 10-06-2002 at 03:12 PM.

not blue

Yes, Wayne, I am sure an all blue Maine Coon is rare, indeed. I have never heard of one. It must be the Russian Blue Mixture. Wonderful combination. My friend's, Maine Coon, who she calls Sterling, is more Silver.

Whoops, sorry.

Wayne, please excuse my oversight. I see you say in your first post that Silver Prince "looks" like an overgrown Russian Blue, but am assuming not part Russian Blue, right? So scratch my last post. I have another cat who is a long-haired patch who 'looks' like either a Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest Cat. She is neither though. Also have a young male who looks a bit like a Russian Blue.

Catwhisperer, I do not know if he is an overgrown Russian Blue (which I doubt exists) or is a Maine Coon. His personality more relates to the latter. He could pass as a Russian Blue because of his green eyes, but he does not have silver tipping on his fur, as thorobred Russian Blues have. This could be due to his age also. (also like my Nickolai, and Czarina, my queen, has.) That he has no other color on him, except the blue/gray coloration. I say this because I have 2 Russian Blue kittens Nikolai and Katrina, and (one mentioned adult queen, Blue-Czarina) who are about the same age as Prince, but about 1/3 rd the size and weight. That he is a mix Russian Blue and Maine Coon is more than likely correct. Blue-Czarina is also a large cat. she has really grown in the past few months.
    Last edited by wayne0214; 10-07-2002 at 07:04 AM.

blue beauties

Wow, what a lovely kitty family you have! Silver Prince sounds grandly handsome. Thanks for explaining.

My Maine Coons

I have 2 Maine Coons, and I've decided MC's are the most wonderful breed! My male - Hunter - is a blue with white and weighs almost 20 lbs. (he's 1 1/2 years old). My female - Sugarberry - is a Torbie and weighs about 14 lbs. (she's 10 months old). They're both "fixed", so there won't be any kittens which is OK......I'd love a few more cute balls of fur, but my boyfriend said no more.

They are the most awesome kitties! They're so laid back, yet at the same time they're so intelligent. They're both very outgoing and love people and other animals. We have a St. Bernard also, and all 3 play together constantly.

Two of the things I love the most about them are (1) the way they talk, and the (2) way they use their paws. They both have high-pitched voices and seem to chirp & squeak instead of meow.....it's such a sweet noise. And they are both VERY handsy. They use their paws to get your attention by touching you as if to say "Hey....", and they'll take treats out of my hand with both of their paws......just like a raccoon!

I may be silly to say this, but when I'm on my way home from work, I find myself looking SO forward to seeing them. They brighten up my day so much and "de-stress" me 100%. I don't know what I'd do without them.

Before these 2, I hadn't ever had a Maine Coon - I'd always had mixed breeds. Don't get me wrong, I've loved all the kitties I've ever had. But I have to say, the Maine Coon is definitely a unique breed - and SOOOO lovable!

I hope this reply isn't too dated because I'd love to hear more about your MC!

To Little Mamma

Thanks for the sharing. Yes, one of my cats, the MC, uses her paws for various touching(excuse the expression) moves too. I have posted more in the post above called "You asked about my Maine Coon..." in case you wish to check that.

My Lamoni is at least part Maine Coon (see pictures on my we site if you want too).

I enjoy the MC's at the cat shows that I have attended. I proxied for our Mary Kay sales director who used to show her Siamise cats.
    ATB

Charles Kincaid

I lost my 18 lb., 14-year-old Maine Coon to kidney failure in May. What a unique breed. They are a great pet and companion. Bosco was adopted from our local shelter at 8 weeks of age. I had no idea at that time that he was a Maine Coon. What a pleasant surprise. Every night at 9:30 he would sit before me waiting to go to bed. I miss him terribly. Even though I have recently adopted two cats, I still find myself thinking about Bosco. His presence was always a comfort to me. I will never forget him.

Mrichar,

What a wonderful tribute to a loving cat. It sounds like Bosco had a great impact on you. May he be happy frolicking at the Rainbow Bridge.

{{{Bosco}}}
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

mrichar, wecome to pet talk. I know what it is to lose a favorite furkid. I am speaking of my beloved Snow Cat. This is the main reason I rescued another flamepoint Siamese from a shelter last month. Although I still miss Snow Cat, Otis fills the necessity to have another "replacement" flame point, although he is not as vividly colored as Snow Cat was. He has such an affable personality, that the shelter keeper wondered why he hadn't been adopted earlier. I suppose that "he was waiting for me".

...........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 11-13-2002 at 08:20 AM.