Thread: My Slightly Crazy but Lovable Cat...

My Slightly Crazy but Lovable Cat...

I just recently adopted a new little kitty cat named Pip. He was found in the parking lot by a co-worker of my mom's who took care of him and gave him shots. She already has four cats with three foster kitties so we adopted him.

He's a really lovable cat, never goes to the bathroom anywhere other than his litter box, very very tidy, and just so sweet. Problem is, since he was rescued, he does have some very odd behavior. For one, he can't stand closed doors. Even if he knows it's just a closet door, he will meow like crazy. And he doesn't seem to come out from under the bed very often. And he only eats at night... and meows at night. He also is terrified of any movement. Like if I reach for something too fast, he's back under the bed. And he won't play. We've previously had a cat who died of FIV (RIP Abien) who was loads of fun and my parents are also comparing Pip to him.

I'm just wondering if this behavior is only temporary or what, because I'm getting ready to go off to college in a year or so, and I'm the only one the cat gets along with. My parents aren't cat people, so I'm worried that unless Pip shapes up his behavior and stops his midnight meowing, they're going to end up giving him away.

First let me welcome you to Pet Talk!!! There are a great group of people here!
    Second, it will take time for Pip to settle in. PATIENCE is paramount to help Pip adjust to his new life with you. Each cat has THEIR own personality, I know, I live with 9 cats!!! Pip will come around, it will just take some time....Good luck and keep us posted on Pip!!

Welcome!!

First, no cat can stand closed doors - NO CAT.
    Second, your cat is displaying some typical feral behavior; reaction to sudden movement and noise, hiding under the bed, eating only when there's no light and no one watching...
    This shall pass. You need to give the kitty time and let him come to you on his own terms. If you try and force anything you'll get resistance and a lack of trust. Let nature take it's course, and you'll both be fine. Good luck!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Welcome to Pet Talk. If Pip doesn't calm down, there are drugs that you can give him, one of which is called Clomicalm but you need your vet to prescribe it. Four of my cats have been on it for several years w/no side effects whatsoever but each cat is different (just like people) so I'm not saying that will be the case w/yours. It's used on dogs w/separation anxiety or aggression but it's now routinely prescribed for cats w/behavioral issues and inappropriate spraying. Mine are on 5 mg. at night before bed and there is no more aggressive behavior from Specs (the original troublemaker LOL) and no innappropriate spraying. I realize that neither problem is what you mentioned but since Pip does seem to have a few behavioral issues, Clomicalm is definitely worth a try. It may take a few weeks before it starts to work and you cannot miss a dose but I was fortunate in that it started working right away. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

WELCOME TO PT!!! The BEST website around!!! Great friends, great pets, lots of good advice and support is what you'll find here.

Before you go dosing up a cat with drugs, try and Feliway. I've got a 3 year old cat, Bad A$$ Buddy. He is a wild man!!! I have never seen a a cat so eager to play. A friend of mine has a cat on Prozac and he's a zombie. I had a cat on those kinds of drugs years ago and did not like what it did to him. He WAS a loving kitty before. Then I took in a cat, Tucker, who came from the streets of NYC. He kept sabotaging Casey in the cat box. Poor Casey was cranky and lethargic on those drugs. I felt it best to rehome Tucker. What a difference. Tucker is living in a 3 story Victorian home with my two friends (Mike and Carolyn Kodas who climbed Everest) and living the life of Riley, in a garden filled with catnip.

In the beginning, BAB was peeing to mark his territory, as he wasn't sure where he belonged, having had 7 homes in the past year. The last home was with a cranky old man with no patience who complained about him jumping all over the place, knocking stuff off his shelves. After 6 months, the old man finally gave him up. I could tell by Buddy's reaction to me that this guy was overly squirting him with a water bottle, and probably swatting him with a newspaper. UGH!! The vet said it was behavioral and to try the Feliway spray. I have never seen anything work as good as Feliway. You just spray it about 8 feet in the air in every room (You can also get a Feliway defuser that is much more expensive) and you can see the look on the cat's face that the enzyme that only cats can smell, kicks in.

BAB has since stopped peeing and is happy and healthy. He's put on weight and is very comfortable here.

I hope you find a happy medium here. I know sometimes we have to make decisions (like I did with Tucker) that we don't want to make. Good luck.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Patience, patience, patience and some Feliway sounds like a good way to go.

I adopted an older cat last year (she was 10) who had some odd behaviors as well. She didn't like people touching her back and didn't like being held. She actually lived for the first few weeks at my house IN the easy chair -- in the part where the guts of the chair are. She squeezed in there and would stay in there all day. I know she came out for food/bathroom, because the litter box was dirty and the food would disappear. After almost three weeks, one day I came home from work and she was out from the chair and sitting on the floor.

Another week goes by, she's at the front door waiting for me to come home.

It took a couple of months before she was comfortable enough and knew me and the house enough to not hide and begin to interact with me.

I have had Minnie now for 1.5 years -- she loooooooooves to have back rubbies, tummy tubbies too! Who would have thought.

As for closed doors - their curiosity kicks in. They just need to know

Hope you continue to make progress. Slowly but surely, your furry friend will come out from underneath the bed -- you just need to entice him a little bit with a treat or a toy. He may not respond at first, but over time I'm sure he will. I wouldn't force him from underneath the bed. I would leave little treats/toys on the floor so he has to come out to see them.
    Sebastian & Miss Minnie

just give kitty time to adjust to the new home, and 3 new humans, and let him adjust to you and your routines and movements around the house, then he won't be terrified of every movement. a feliway plug in might help, and some toys, that he can play with by himself at night and some interactive toys you can play with him. a feather wand maybe?

and make him a comfy bed in your room maybe, so he won't feel alone at night? my cats get bored sometimes and I throw an old sheet over a chair and make a "tent" or a hideaway. there is one cat that loves it, she feels like no one knows shes there and will stay in there for HOURS. for scratching you can get those cardboard scratchers with catnip, the cat trees are fun for the cats but they can be expensive.