Thread: GREYHOUNDS

GREYHOUNDS

If you want a GREAT Dog, adopt a retired racing greyhound.

These dogs just want to be loved and given a pillow to sleep on. Some like to be walked more than others, and a fenced in yard is great for when they want to just take a short run.

My husband and I adopted and we don't know how we ever lived without him. He loves all people, kids are fun to watch, and he is very jealous of my small Toy Manchester Terrier.

Some of these dogs are really shy, so you have to decide what personality you want.

Go visit an adoption kennel near one of the race track and you will fall in Love!

My neice does volunteer work for a Pa Greyhound rescue organization and has adopted three of her own. They are sweet dogs and deserve better treatment. Judy

After having Labs and Lab/Shepherd crosses for over 25 years, I've decided my next dog will be a retired racing Greyhound. I'm doing all my research now so that I will be prepared when the time comes that I'll be able to adopt one of these dogs. Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated. They seem to be wonderful dogs!

I personally do not have a greyhound, but I went to a school whose mascot is the greyhound. One of the Jesuit priests owned one, Alexandra, and she was one of the best dogs I've ever known. I think most people don't realize what good companions they make and how gentle they really are. I don't know of anyone who has regretted adopting one.

On a personal note, I do not own a greyhound. Most of my friends say they are ugly because they are so thin. I think they are one of the most beautiful breeds of dog. Whenever I am an adult and have the time and money, I plan to have a retired grayhound rescue facility. I plan to have them indoor and outdoor. They will each have their own room and possibly 2 to a kennel. I also plan to breed Australian Cattledogs.

Don't forget that greyhounds have no body fat, so they can't stay outside. They are indoor dogs that have to have a consistent temperature. They get overheated very easy and get cold just as quickly.

The racing breeders do keep the dogs thin so that they can run faster. Ours gained about 8 pounds when we brought him home and has filled in nicely.

They may not be the most beautiful dogs, but their big hearts make up for it!!