Thread: Dwarf Hamster

Dwarf Hamster

I have a robo dwarf hammie. I have had him for 6 months. Should I get him a friend. He is a male and I don't want hamster babies, should I accidently get a female. I read online that you should get 2 dwarfs instead of one, so they are not lonely. I was thinking about getting another one but I don't want to freak Freddy out. I was thinking if I got another he might not be as lonely. Should I get him a friend?

Robs are sociable little things and it is true that they prefer company. If you think your hamster is less happy without another hamster, then it is something you should consider. However, if he has been on his own for a while and got accustommed to his own space, he may not appreciate another male in his territory.

I kept robs as a child, and had a male and a female living on their own. They were perfectly happy all their lives. If you do keep a sociable rodent on their own, however, it is vital that they receive as much contact from you as possible. I have a rat whom I've kept on her own, and I devote 5 hours at the very least to her every day. A hamster shouldn't need quite that much attention, but in his waking hours you should preoccupy and interact with him for as much time as you can afford.

Zimbabwe 07/13

It isn't often recommend to introduce another hamster after so long. Does your hamster seem lonely and depressed? Do he run, play, eat, drink and sleep fine? If so then I wouldn't worry about it. Unlike animals such as humans or rats they aren't dependent on the need for a friend. Hamsters can be very territorial as the age.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats