Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bon has a puncture wound on his chest

Poor Bon!!! Hope everything heals up quickly.

We had a similar incident with Spot, about 4 or 5 years ago. I had let the dogs out just before I was supposed to go away for the evening on a Sunday night (Ralph was not home). As they came back in, something caught my eye. Spot had a puncture wound, almost same size and shape, on his side. Looked clean, wasn't bleeding, etc. I put some antibiotic cream on it and took him with me for the evening so I could keep an eye on him. We took him to the vet the next day, they shaved the ared, and I think gave him an antiobiotic. Otherwise, the treatment was exactly as you are doing. With his, we out some gauze over the wound, then cut the bottom off a t-shirt to wrap a ring around him to be able to tape on. He wasn't crazy about it, but it worked!

That is an odd looking puncture. wondering if Bon could have had an abcess that burst and drained on its own or , but it sort of looks like a pellet shot wound too, I hope I'm wrong on the second guess.

Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts

Needless to say I couldn't wait to take him to the vet, so we went first thing this morning.

The vet was just as baffled as I am although she's pretty sure it wasn't some kind of shot wound because there was no residue around the area and there was nothing lodged in the hole.
    As Pam said, it's his little secret

He was very good while we were there, but a little nervous of course. He didn't like her shaving the area because of the sound, so I held his head. He was a real trooper about the whole thing. Even laid over on his side so she could get a good look at it
    Although when we were leaving he had to take a good look at their resident kitty who was on the counter...so she gave him a little goodbye slap in the nose...lol

We got Cephalexin 500mg for an antibiotic so hopefully that will kick in soon and it will start healing up. She said she's pretty concerned about how deep it is and will be giving us a call in a couple days to see how he's doing.
    Oh yeah, our little boy only weighs 142.5...much less than what I though and I'm glad of that.

He was so happy to be coming home that he decided to get in the front seat with me...lol! Silly dog!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8311007.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	619.6 KB 
ID:	43560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0831091034a.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	500.3 KB 
ID:	43561  

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Quote Originally Posted by anna_66 View Post

Needless to say I couldn't wait to take him to the vet,
    so we went first thing this morning.

We got Cephalexin 500mg for an antibiotic so hopefully that will kick in soon
    and it will start healing up.

She said she's pretty concerned about how deep it is and
    will be giving us a call in a couple days to see how he's doing.

He was so happy to be coming home
    that he decided to get in the front seat with me
    I didn't think the "wait till Tuesday" idea would get past Monday.

Are you supposed to wash / clean it, or just *watch*?
    I hate hearing the "I'm not sure ..." words from the White Coat.

Share the front seat??
    Be happy he didn't wanna DRIVE!

I'm glad to hear a pretty good report. Feel better Bon!! I love the pic of him in the front seat. Bon, you are a big ole goofball!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I hope it heals up and Bon is all better soon.

I'm just wondering why they wouldn't stitch it up. Irrigate it out and just put a couple of stitches in it. Of course I am NOT a vet, nor do I pretend to be one on TV.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Aw, what a good boy.

I know it is not the same thing but remember when Bob had lumps removed? Well, the top hole of where the drain went through looked just like that - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...IMG_2003-1.jpg - and was deep. Too deep to stitch up, it had to heal from the inside out but the vet did give me some gel - Citrugel - to apply twice a day, I believe it is the kind of stuff they use for leg ulcers, burns that kind of thing to protect and aid healing. After a couple of weeks it had all healed up nicely.

Prayers and good thoughts continuing for speedy and full healing for your Bon boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Of course I am NOT a vet, nor do I pretend to be one on TV.
    LOL! This just tickled me!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Aw, what a good boy.

I know it is not the same thing but remember when Bob had lumps removed? Well, the top hole of where the drain went through looked just like that - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...IMG_2003-1.jpg - and was deep. Too deep to stitch up, it had to heal from the inside out but the vet did give me some gel - Citrugel - to apply twice a day, I believe it is the kind of stuff they use for leg ulcers, burns that kind of thing to protect and aid healing. After a couple of weeks it had all healed up nicely.

Prayers and good thoughts continuing for speedy and full healing for your Bon boy.
    Yeah, I was thinking that too. Because it's so deep, if they stitched it it would probably produce yucky stuff inside. Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    LOL! This just tickled me!
    Hee hee, glad I could make you laugh.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Wow that really is deep,Hard to say what it could be isnt it?I hope that Bon heels up fast,Does he seem to be botherd by it?The one thing i hated doing when Lacy had the punture wounds was keeping them open,The vet told me they heal inside out,Even with the antibiotics the healing process seemed forever.

Have you checked the other pups over?If your suspicion of a pellet gun or something else?

Happy to see the vet didn't think it was a shot from a BB gun . I agree about not stitching it up, too deep and who knows if something just might be in there that has to work it's way out. I've heard about some wonderful results with that gel , hope it works for you.

Whew! I'm glad I saw this Anna, 'cause I was thinking about The Bon today. I had a feeling you'd high-tail it off to the vet today, 'cause I know you......

I'm sure we're not looking forward to any more *The Secret Life Of Bon* tales! i hope he takes his meds like a good boy and I was thrilled he was such a champ at the vet! Hey! He didn't deserve a swat on the nose! I feel bad for him after all he endured!

A gazillion hugs and kisses to everyone!!!

I've been Boooo'd!

Anna 66, how is Bon's puncture looking? I hope it heals really fast! *kiss* for dear Bon and *kisses* for everybody else too!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Anna,
    Glad Bon is going to be ok. Looking at his wound was disturbing.
    I guess we will all remain baffled on what caused it.
    Sending him lots and lots of healing wishes to our big boy.

----<---<--<{(@

Well, it's looking better already I'm happy to report
    Looks gross, but you can tell the hole is closing up.
    And of course he's still his happy self
    Hugs and kisses given to everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9021002.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	548.7 KB 
ID:	43576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9021001.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	562.4 KB 
ID:	43577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9021009.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	557.2 KB 
ID:	43578  

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets