Thread: No words to describe this!

No words to describe this!

Yes Richard there is a God and as awful as this is there is nothing that says it was intentional. I am sure the owner is suffering horribly with guilt. Unfortunately there are children and pets left in cars to die accidentally probably every day. I can't even imagine that and wouldn't want to be in their shoes. I doubt I could live with myself. This was a dog that was loved and lived to be 16 years old unlike Vick's dogs who were just "sport." Very sad sorry.....

I just don't see anyone forgetting any creature that they have as a passenger.

Here's a blog from the tragic incident.

Our rescue works with that particular SPCA.

A personal family tragedy

A member of the Richmond SPCA family has been struck with a personal tragedy in recent days. While this matter is deeply personal, it has gained attention of local media; therefore, we would like to share directly with our supporters what has been a source of enormous grief for our CEO Robin Starr and her family.

Last Wednesday, the Starr family lost a dear companion in their 16-year-old dog Louie. Sometimes Louie accompanied Robin to the office on days their home was being cleaned. The morning of August 19, just before Robin left for work, her husband Ed placed Louie inside the rear of her station wagon with the intention of letting her know Louie was there. However, Ed forgot to tell Robin that Louie was in the car. Because Louie – being a docile senior pet – rode silently, lying contently in the back of the station wagon, Robin was unaware of his presence when she arrived at work.

It was not until Robin returned to her car at lunchtime that she saw Louie. At that time he was alive but in heat stroke. She rushed him inside where the Richmond SPCA veterinary team diligently worked to stabilize him before he was transported to Veterinary Emergency Center for more extensive care. At the family’s direction, the VEC team made every possible effort to save Louie, but late that night, he died.

Everyone at the Richmond SPCA shares the deepest sympathy for the Starr family. If this can happen to a woman who has dedicated her professional life to saving animal lives, this can happen to anyone, and that is why it is so important for this tragedy to serve as a learning moment.

Louie could not have had a family love him more. We would prefer that the Starrs be allowed to grieve privately, but, since the local news media has not made that possible, we wanted to make you aware of what occurred. We have every confidence that your hearts will go out to the Starrs just as ours do. She has the full support of the staff and board of directors of the Richmond SPCA.

Quote Originally Posted by rosethecopycat View Post
    Here's a blog from the tragic incident.

Our rescue works with that particular SPCA.

I stand corrected!

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I stand corrected!

thanks.

I think it's the media that made this so 'sensational'.

Call me cynical, but what is the SPCA's stance on the K9 officers that have died over the past few years? Are they standing behind their police handlers?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

A personal connection to this story, from our foster board:

This was a terrible accident. Robin has done wonderful things since I got my cat at the old SPCA. I worked with her husband. I'm sure this was devastating. No matter how careful or responsible you try to be, bad things still happen in an instant. Some are calling for charges to be filed, but they will live with this pain always. I think that is more than enough suffering for them.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Call me cynical, but what is the SPCA's stance on the K9 officers that have died over the past few years? Are they standing behind their police handlers?
    I do not think that K9s should be used to 'apprehend' criminals - bomb and drug sniffing, well, all right.....

I think that when handlers let a dog loose on a suspect and the dog is killed or hurt, that the handler should be held responsible for what ever happens to the dog or suspect.

I used to watch all the 'real life' cops shows and even some hi-speed chases where handlers would often turn a dog loose on a suspect 'just because'.
    The poor AH is on the ground and gets bitten because the cop can't 'control' the dog?

MEH!

That said?

Most of the stories of animal cruelty are the result of the handlers being totally stupid and irresponsible.

Leaving the dog in a car, leaving the door to a home or yard open and the dogs get out. K9s are dogs that are trained to key on the cops commands and often they are given in a foreign language - Are these dogs taking away work from the dogs that understand English?

Anyway, If happen to hurt or kill a PD K9, i'll get my arse kicked, arrested and charged. If they screw up and kill their partners? Nothing much happens and that's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I just don't see anyone forgetting any creature that they have as a passenger.
    Exactly. Did she not notice the fluffy furball as she was driving to work??? He's blind and deaf, but I'm sure he still barked. Poor thing.

The family more than likely feels just as guilty. It's a horrible situation all the way around.