Thread: Spay advice needed ASAP... please...****UPDATE in post 6****

Spay advice needed ASAP... please...****UPDATE in post 6****

Hi all,

It's been quite some time since I posted on here. I have a question and I didn't know where else to turn. I got my 4 year old beagle / lab x, Sadie, fixed last Wednesday. She ate 1/2 a bowl of food on Tuesday evening. Then nothing day of surgery (Wednesday) and the following day (Thursday) was still pretty groggy so ate nothing. This was last week. She still hasn't eaten anything. I've tried chicken and rice, she takes a few bites. I tried canned food mixed with her regular food... nothing. Tonight, hubbby and I cut up pieces of hotdog and mixed it with her food.... she wouldn't go near it. I'm getting worried. I'm gonna call my vet in the morning (should have done that today), but I thought in the meantime I would get some advice and some insight. Sadie is drinking water and acting normal besides not eating. I just don't know what to do for my babygirl at this point...
    Last edited by Nobas Mom; 08-25-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Are you saying she hasn't eaten since Tuesday except for a few bites? Please call your vet first thing in the morning. Pawsitive thoughts for Sadie.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Unfortunately yes, that is what I am saying... she hasn't eaten but a few bites in a week... I knew after her surgery she wouldn't have an appetite for a few days, but a week...

I am gonna be on the phone with the vet the minute they open!

I would get her to the vet ASAP!! This is not normal after being spayed. I just had my kitten spayed and she ate and drank the same night.

ALSO - she should not be offered that much food after a major surgery. Maybe a half cup and then a little more after an hour. It sounds like she could be blocked please get her to the vet ASAP.
    Last edited by luvofallhorses; 08-24-2009 at 09:51 PM.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Please let us know how things go with the vet. I'll keep Sadie in my prayers.
    Forever in my heart...

Took Sadie to her vet at 9am this morning. Her vet checked her over, full exam... everything from her teeth to her tail... and said they don't see anything wrong with her. He offered her some canned dog food, and she ate it down in like three bites!!! ....

Brought her home, offered her a little bit of dry food and she ate like nothing was going on... what in the world... the little sweetheart has had me worried for a week, and now she acts like nothing is wrong...

Hopefully she will continue to eat...

How typically dog-like! Wait until ya get mom all worried, THEN start to eat! I am glad you took her in just in case, maybe she just needed a prompt (uh, oh - here again?) to remember food is good stuff?
    I've Been Frosted

Sounds like she might have been waiting for some "gourmet" food. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

I remember you. Welcome back!! I think Noba is a Bassett, right?

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Sadie, shame on you worrying your mommy like that! (and some of us here also) I'm glad to hear she's eating. Unless she decides to talk, I guess you'll never know why she wouldn't eat!
    Forever in my heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Nobas Mom View Post
    Took Sadie to her vet at 9am this morning. Her vet checked her over, full exam... everything from her teeth to her tail... and said they don't see anything wrong with her. He offered her some canned dog food, and she ate it down in like three bites!!! ....

Brought her home, offered her a little bit of dry food and she ate like nothing was going on... what in the world... the little sweetheart has had me worried for a week, and now she acts like nothing is wrong...

Hopefully she will continue to eat...

Don't you just hate when that happens. You're worried sick & then,
    oops never mind. Glad she is feeling better & eating normally.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

LOL... she is a silly dog that's for sure... she's been munching on treats today and stole a hotdog off hubby's plate at lunch. I guess "kickstarting" her tummy made her remember how good food tasted... lol...

And yup, Noba is a basset!