Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which book are you currently reading?

Which book are you currently reading?

Don't know if we had such a thread before, but I couldn't find anything like this. Since I love reading, I thought it would be interesting to see which books the Pet Talkers are reading, and what they think about them.

I'm usually reading a lot (at least as long as the noisy and screaming neighbors' kids won't distract me from reading).

A couple of days ago, I started The Final Days by Alex Chance. Would be interesting to learn if somebody else here has heard of this book, because for some reason, it cannot be found on amazon; I wonder why. It's a thriller, very disturbing, but kind of hard to read, because it's often changing places and perspectives.

Now I'm curious about the books you are reading!

Kirsten

I am reading a Finnish book, translated to Dutch of course
    The title: "The summer of the merry bulls" by Arto Paailinna. it is a very good and also funny story!!

The Finnish title is "Elämä lybyt, Rytkönen pitkä"
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I have just finished reading "The City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt which was sent to me by Sara - Edwina's Secretary. It is about Venice and Sara thought I would enjoy it as I visited Venice earlier this year. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am now going to pass it on to Barbara.

I hadn't heard of the book you were reading, Kirsten, but I just checked and it is certainly for sale on amazon.co.uk - hardback, paperback, and audio cassette.

I never read a book of a Finnish author so far. Just googled fo the book, sounds good! It has also been translated into German.

Kirsten

I hadn't heard of the book you were reading, Kirsten, but I just checked and it is certainly for sale on amazon.co.uk - hardback, paperback, and audio cassette.
    Well, for some reason, it's not available on amazon.com.

Will google for "The City of Falling Angels". I have two co-workers who are huge fans of Italy and Italian books, I wonder if they have ever heard of that one.

Kirsten

I read another book of that Berendt guy about Savannah - Sara gave it to me when I was visiting and I sent it to Karen
    I am now reading a book by Scottish author Ian Rankin: Doors open. It is a thriller about art theft in Edinburgh. Lots of suspense.

I am reading a book about Kathryn Hepburn. Kate Remembered by A. Scott Berg. He was her biographer for over 20 years and at her instructions it was to be published as soon as possible after her death.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    I am now reading a book by Scottish author Ian Rankin: Doors open. It is a thriller about art theft in Edinburgh. Lots of suspense.
    Oh Barbara, have you overcome your antipathy towards Ian Rankin?

I am reading Varieties of Religious Experience by William James. It's not quite a book for a summer afternoon by the pool!

It was mentioned in an AA book I have, so I set about finding it. It's written in early 20th century English. James was an American who did a series of Gifford lectures in Edinborough, Scotland.

It took me 3 good tries to get into it. The last time, it clicked, and now I am making good time. It IS about the different ways different types of people experience (or do not experience) religion or spirituality. I find it an excellent mix of psychology and good communication - James' lectures are easily understood and he is very clear. These writings are his written notes, obviously, which gives all the essays structure - but in the book he adds a few footnotes and other items.

The essays sound as if he is talking them - and it's easy for me to imagine a very congenial voice saying them.

Gini - I have 2 Kate Hepburn books, one by her ("Me"), and a 1995 biography by Barbara Leaming "Katharine Hepburn". The Leaming book is meticulously researched and well worth a read - it was on the New York Times bestseller list at some point. Kate's own earlier book kind of glossed over stuff...the second book explains why.

I'll have to look for Berg's book - would be interesting to see what is in it!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I've been reading Torchwood novels lately. Right now I am reading The House That Jack Built, but I'm about to finish it and start Bay Of The Dead.

Niño & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    I read another book of that Berendt guy about Savannah - Sara gave it to me when I was visiting and I sent it to Karen
    That was Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I read it and really enjoyed it. I have the newer one, about Venice, but haven't got into it yet.

Right now I'm reading one for the second time. Does anyone else do that - read books more than once?

The Day the World Came to Town - 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim DeFede. Wonderful book about the generous nature of people in the midst of tragedy.

When thirty-eight jetliners bound for the United States were forced to land in Gander, Newfoundland, on September 11, 2001, due to the closing of United States airspace, the citizens of this small community were called upon to come to the aid of more than six thousand displaced travelers.

For the better part of a week, nearly every man, woman, and child in Gander and the surrounding smaller towns stopped what they were doing so they could help. They placed their lives on hold for a group of strangers and asked for nothing in return. They affirmed the basic goodness of man at a time when it was easy to doubt such humanity still existed.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Right now I'm reading one for the second time. Does anyone else do that - read books more than once?
    There are many books I have read more than once! That is why I prefer to own books than borrow them. If I have nothing new to read I can go in and pick an old favorite to reread.

Last week I reread a book of the letters between Wallis Simpson and Edward the Prince of Wales. I also read the book "Slumdog Millionaire". Different from the movie in many ways and just as fun.

I am also reading "The Family -The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power." It is too frightening to read too much at one time.

My book club is finishing up "The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys" and then we will read "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress". I have it but don't want to read it too far in advance.

"A Voyage Long and Strange" by Tony Horwitz is another book I read recently and loved! What happened on this continent between 1492 and 1620.

And "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" was very good. A book about the occupation of the Channel Islands in WWII and written all in personal letters.
    Last edited by Edwina's Secretary; 08-23-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    There are many books I have read more than once! That is why I prefer to own books than borrow them.

And "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" was very good. A book about the occupation of the Channel Island in WWII and written all in personal letters.
    I loved the Guernsey book!!

And I also much prefer to own my books. I want to read it when I want - not when someone tells me I can have it for 2 weeks. Books are the one luxury I won't give up

14. Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I loved the Guernsey book!!

Did you think you could tell what the niece wrote after the death of the original author? I thought there was a definite change of tone at one point.

I am reading "Nikon D60: Digital Field Guide" by J. Dennis Thomas just to brush up on my knowledge on the digital SLR that I have and been using it for a while.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred