Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you shop at PETCO?

luckies4me-

I really don't know genetics, I know some colors tho. One of my rats,Peanut, looks like a lilac color- look at her picture. I am not 100% positive- what do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Look how light Peanut is compared to her mama Skittles.

Anyhow....this getting off the topic of "Do you shop at Petco" sorry!

~*~*~*~YellowLabLover*~*~*~*~
    Proud mama of Skittles- Sept. 29,02 Pet of the Day!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Peanut is *SO* Cute!!

Re: luckies4me-

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    I really don't know genetics, I know some colors tho. One of my rats,Peanut, looks like a lilac color- look at her picture. I am not 100% positive- what do you think?

Hmm, in the first picture she certainltly looks as if she can be lilac, however with the color of her mother it is unlikely. Is she agouti based, as in does she have ticking? She seems maybe she can be a cinnamon, chocolate based perhaps. Do you know what other colors were in her background? Is the mother agouti? If so she could certainly be cinnamon. If she is not ticked, she seems as if she could be a bluebeige. Hmmm, do you have any pics of her fur close up? If you give me more info on her background if you know it, I can better determine what color she is. But, she is beautiful!!!!!!!!!! I love huskies!

On to Petco, hehe!!

Oh and I will try to find a pic of my lilac girl if I haven't erased them yet and then you can better tell maybe.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

We have a few Petco's around here and I've never been impressed with any of the stores I've been in. At least two of them had dim lighting (wierd huh?) and they never had fresh hay or food for our bunnies when we had them. The cat food is OK I guess, but the stores just seem dusty to me. Which is kind of strange living in Southern CA. I don't shop there, I prefer smaller pet stores or PetSmart.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I haven't been to Petco, but then again I really haven't, I've never seen a Petco around here! So, we tend to stick to PetSmart!

I've skimmed most of the posts and thought I'd add my 2 cents.

First...no I don't shop at Petco because it's too far away from my house. however I did shop at a PetCo in San Diego because they had an awesome selection of ferret items(and ferrets are illegal in CA...go figure!) From what I saw at that Petco, the animals were very well taken care of.

That article as well as others are from PETA. PETA is too extreme for my liking so I take everything I hear from them with a grain of salt. BUT...that just MY opinion. I have heard of Petco's that don't treat their animals well. I know people on ferret boards who have rescued ferrets from Petco, boycotted Petco, petitioned to change, and have had successfully made changes in the care that Petco takes of their animals. I believe it depends on the Petco.

As far as not supporting or buying from a store that sells animals...I can respect that. I still do, for the prices, but admire others for taking that stance. While some stores do get their animals from private breeders and not mills..I believe no ethical breeder would sell to a store. An ethical breeder would not sell animals when they would have no control after to see who bought their animals and the kind of care they would receive. An ethical breeder would know every family their animals went to and know that the animal would be loved and well taken care of including a clause that states if for any reason the family cannot care for the animal, the animal goes back to the breeder to care for. An ethical breeder should be aware an accept the fact that if they cannot find good homes or already have homes before breeding that the breeder is prepared to care for these animals they breed for the rest of their lives.....

Besides...there are too many unwanted pets. To breed and to sell to a petstore where you don't know who is buying your animal and with knowing the overpopulation of unwated pets is just, in my opinion, irresponsible. So yes, while sometimes petstores do not buy from mills, the breeders that sell to them are just a lesser evil. I guess the only real exception would be a small mom&pop petstore where the breeder would know who the animals were going to and make sure they know how to care for them.

Anywho...jumping off my soapbox for now.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

Ha-Ha

LOL... I love the little dude on the soapbox swearing. That's pretty cute. Where did ya find that?

There are no Petcos around here (maybe in St. Louis but thats a long way away) I ususally go to Feeder's or Wal-Mart (Dustin work there I get 10% off sometimes)
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

Re: PETA- SEE THIS!!

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    [B]I have been to Petco only two times, and I loved it! If PETA wants to complain about some sick pets store, they need to travel here to Wisconsin. The pet store where I rescued my two rats Skittles and Oreo, "Pet World" is GUT WRENCHING!!..... This place is located in Waukesha,WI just to let you know. Waukesha is about 10 min. away from Milwaukee.
    I live in Wisconsin too, and though I have never been to the Waukesha location of Pet World, I have been to both the Milwaukee and Madison locations. Neither of those locations is anywhere near as bad as the store you describe in Waukesha, though I certainly am not disputing what you have said about it!! What a shame that a big suburb like Waukesha would have such a nasty store!!! Both the Milwaukee and Madison locations are very large stores with a HUGE variety of merchandise, clean and sanitary as far as I can tell. I like to take my dog there as a treat!

I purchased a hamster from the Milwaukee location about 1 1/2 years ago. She was a beautiful, perfectly healthy thing, and although she died suddenly at only approx. one year of age, she was very sound up until her death and I certainly could not attribute her demise to the store she was purchased from.

In my opinion, the worst thing about Pet World is that they are often grossly overpriced on certain items. I would reiterate what others have said in this forum....for cheaper prices on quality pet items, go to Pet Supplies Plus if you have one in your area!! Having moved to the Madison area recently, I am lost without this store!!

I guess what I have written would be boring if you don't live in the area, but just wanted to put my two cents in.....
    ** Emily, McGwire "Mac" the Maltese & Mei the Shih Tzu **

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have been to the Pet World in Greefield WI, and it was so nice and well-kept compared to the one in Waukesha. That stunned me, because Waukesha is snooty and rich compared to Greenfield. Oh well, live and learn.

Oh yeah.... yes we do have a Pet Supplies Plus in our area, I do go there once and a while.