Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: vick hired by the philly eagles

vick hired by the philly eagles

from the new york times 8/114/2009.............................Michael Vick, exiled from football for two seasons, finally has a new team, and it is not one anyone expected. The Philadelphia Eagles, who have Donovan McNabb as their starting quarterback, sent a shock wave through the preseason Thursday night by signing Vick. He will give them a versatile backup. oach Andy Reid benched McNabb briefly last season during a poor performance against the Ravens. McNabb chafed at the move. But he rallied after that and led the Eagles to the National Football Conference championship game, where they lost to the Arizona Cardinals.

The N.F.C. East may be the N.F.L.’s most treacherous division, and the addition of Vick could help the Eagles establish supremacy over the Giants.

“I’m a believer that as long as people go through the right process, they deserve a second chance,” Reid said Thursday night after the Eagles lost to the Patriots, 27-25, in a preseason game.

“You’re talking about one of the top quarterbacks in the league when he was playing,” Reid added. “I talked to Michael and he’s in a good place.”

McNabb, 32, has never enjoyed universal fan support in Philadelphia. If he struggles during the season, there could be calls for Vick, 29, to take over.

Still, Reid dismissed suggestions that the addition of Vick would lead to a quarterback controversy.
    “He comes into a good, stable unit here,” Reid said of Vick. “Donovan and Michael are very close.”

McNabb, who was rewarded with a $5.3 million raise after last season and will make $24.5 million over the next two years, will not have to look over his shoulder for a while. Vick, who was reinstated last month after serving 18 months in federal prison for his role in a dogfighting ring, can begin practicing immediately, and he could play in the final two preseason games. But Commissioner Roger Goodell will decide by the sixth week of the season when Vick can play in a regular-season game.

“I pretty much lobbied to get him here,” McNabb said. “I believe in second chances and what better place to get a second chance than here with this group of guys.” McNabb added, “We had the opportunity to add another weapon to our offense."

The Eagles’ decision to sign Vick drew a quick response from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the animal-rights group.

PETA said in a statement: “What sort of message does this send to young fans who care about animals and don’t want to see them be harmed? PETA certainly hopes that Vick has learned his lesson and feels truly remorseful for his crimes — but since he’s given no public indication that that’s the case, only time will tell.” The Eagles will most likely use Vick as a backup and perhaps in a small package of plays that will take advantage of his ability to keep defenses guessing, perhaps in Wildcat-style formats where he could run or pass.

Reid has traditionally preferred a pass-oriented offense, which could hurt Vick, whose first instinct under pressure is to run with the ball. Vick struggled with his accuracy in 2006, when the Falcons went 7-9 and he completed just 52.6 percent of his passes.

Still, Vick’s scrambling ability is tantalizing, because it makes him so unpredictable. In 2006, he ran for 1,039 yards, and those who have seen Vick since his release from prison say he appears to be in fine physical condition.

Vick is the prototype for the many versatile players teams have drafted in recent years — including Dolphins quarterback Pat White and Vikings receiver Percy Harvin — to run Wildcat-style plays.

Vick agreed to a one-year contract, with a one-year option, making this essentially a tryout and a chance for him to get reacclimated to the N.F.L.

Tony Dungy, the former coach of the Colts, has acted as Vick’s mentor. Dungy has said that he spoke with several coaches about Vick, but that only a small number of teams were a good fit, particularly because owners feared an adverse reaction from fans.

The Eagles provide Vick with a stable organization to insulate him during what is sure to be a tumultuous return. No game may be more dramatic than when the Eagles visit Atlanta on Dec. 6. The Falcons once made Vick the highest-paid player in the N.F.L., but his new contract will pay him $1.6 million in 2009, with an option for $5.2 million, according to FoxSports.com.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

totally completly gross. shame on the eagles....
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

One word comes to mind - DISGUSTING! I live in the Philly suburbs and if I was the slightest bit interested in football (which I am not) this would really upset me.

I dunno.... What he did was horrible. But he paid the price.

Why not give him a second chance? You would want one if it were you.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

*graphic response*

puckstop...in a way i'd like to give a second chance, yet when i think of how dog fights are trained....dropping kittens into a pen, using other smaller weaker dogs as training bait, fighting to the death, the barbarity of a human heart can and does deeply repulse me. he is an educated man (grad of virginia tech) well paid and considered as a hero to many, and yet, he enjoyed blood and death. this repulses me on so many levels. as a smaller side note the amount of money involved in these events is amazing . i know that my angel dog alex would have been a perfect bait dog, and when i think or try not to of what it would be like for that animals last seconds of existence....i feel nausea and a total lack of understanding how anyone can enjoy the death of a weaker being....that part of a human heart i cannot understand.
    puck even typing this was very hard, having to clarify why i'm having this response has been upsetting to my stomach so early. yet your question is a legit one, and thanks for making me articulate a response...now to go eat a tums....

I disagree that Vick paid the price. He deserved a much longer sentence and he should still be cleaning dog cages daily as part of the conditions of his release. This line from the article really stood out and bothers me: "The Eagles provide Vick with a stable organization to insulate him during what is sure to be a tumultuous return." Why should Vick be insulated? Those dogs sure weren't. This is shameful but not surprising. All the dogs that he tortured and killed are being stepped on now for Vick to wipe his feet on as he climbs his way out of the hole that he dug for himself. Actually, he didn't climb out; the Eagles threw him a rope to help him out. I hope he hangs himself w/it.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Bravo, Mary. Cruelty is so often disregarded in our society. He'll never learn. Bet he will be at it again at some point too. Once the monster gets a taste for blood, they always go back. Shameful.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Vick should have gone to jail for far longer than the "brutal" 23 month sentence he received.

As far as the Iggles hiring the dirtball, there are a few prime time games I won't be watching.

I love football, but Lady's far more important. Anyone who abuses animals and brings about the sort of crime associated with dogfighting should be held completely accountable, and shouldn't get a cupcake 23 month sentence.

Maybe I'll put Milo and Otis in during those games.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Being in the Philadelphia area, and a dyed-in-the-wool Eagles fan, I have to say I'm quite upset about this and I'll be damned if I'll ever watch another game as long as Vick is part of the organization!
    And as far as McNabb lobbying for Vick - all I can say to that is that he's totally blind or just plain stupid and he'd better watch his back side as long as Vick is around.
    I believe in 2nd chances, but not in this instance. Vick is a monster and doesn't deserve another chance and this whole deal sends a very bad message to all, but especially to kids.
    I can't believe Coach Reid could take on this piece of crap, but then maybe he has a soft spot for criminals, since that what his two sons are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I can't argue that what he served was too short. I also realize just how horrible dog fighting is.

Just trying to offer a counter point, fully realizing this would be near and quite dear to just about everybody here.

Gonna be an interesting year for him I reckon. But then again, I am not a big NFL guy.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Second chances are fine, but I don't agree with him being part of a football team and being a "hero" to anyone.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

MV is on the tube at the moment and is talking about his 'starting' for the team.

He spoke about his "god given talent" and how he would like to be a starter, but he is not ready.

God given talent does not necessarily mean people have a brain in their head.

I have mixed feelings about this 'news'- but I am glad he didn't go to "my team". Raider fans are some of the most passionate, loud and obnoxious in the league-and unforgiving.....

--------------

The 'turd' that is pro sports lost it's shine years ago for me.

I watch now, not as a passionate fan, but more as a detached bystander.

I love the game-a good touchdown play is just as good coming from a San Fran franchise as it as from a Houston team.

The names do not matter any more to me. Not when we can have these 'grownups' fighting dogs, shooting themselves or running over pedestrians that get a golden opportunity that us poor schmucks would never get.

Second chances are good. But so much better when you have a job, league, union and money that allow it. Until then?

I don't need a scorecard to tell who the players are. The players have told me WHO THEY ARE.

I was so Pissed when I heard the Phillys took him on.. And I used to like them too.. Nope Nope wont watch them for the next two years due I dont want to see That Scummm Baggg.. I will still say there will be another football player that will sooner or later sand bag that scummmm...

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I think he needs to donate a portion of his salary to BEST FRIENDS!!!

The other thought that I had is............

MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO 'ROUND - CHING CHING!!

Pro sports teams, of all leagues, ignoring criminal behavior when a player is talented is not a new thing. Vick is a vile coward with a talented right arm; that makes him worth money; which is what pro sports is all about...it's a business! Vick is far from the first convicted felon to get a second chance in the NFL...before his signing yesterday there were 32 convicted felons playing in the league.

Watch the Canadian Football League...our game is much more interesting; way less money involved(the average CFL player makes about 50 grand a year); we have cool rules, a bigger field; a policy banning any player under suspension by another league and Canadian Customs often has some issues with letting convicted felons into the country.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving