Thread: Casey - Aging - Need Support - UPDATE :-)

Casey - Aging - Need Support - UPDATE :-)

As the regular PT'ers here know, Casey turned 13 last month. She is basically in good health for her age. However, I have noticed she is slowing down a lot the past week. She cannot jump into my bed any longer and chooses to just plop on the floor beside the bed if I am already sleeping. If I am awake I encourage her to put her paws up and I help her up telling her she is a "good girl" the whole time.

A couple times she has tripped up or down the steps and I am trying to keep myself aware of this and make sure to help her.

One day last week she piddled on the carpet and yesterday she also piddled on the carpet. I know she would never do this if she didn't have to really go badly or if she couldn't hold it. She was easily house trained as a pup and has had no issues. It was probably shortly before I got home from work that she piddled. Some days I am away from the house for 6 hours.

It is so sad to see her getting old and wearing out. I am trying to do everything I can to make her comfortable. She still seems happy, wagging her tail and barking and still eating which is a good sign. However, I know the inevitable will come all too soon.

I am going to call my vet today and talk with him about her bladder issue but I am pretty sure it is just that holding it for 6 hours is too long for an old girl.

Any support or suggestions you can offer to help make my girl comfortable would be appreciated.
    Last edited by happylabs; 08-14-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Adding info the title

Awww, it's okay, mom, our beloved pets get old, too, just faster than we do. A vet check in definitely in order, just in case. Is she on any supplements for arthritis? Might be time for that, if she's not.
    I've Been Frosted

I know it's a tough time, but you're doing what you can do. Discuss it with your vet to see if there's anything else, but we're all here.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

You know we are all here for you. I have not had to go through this with a dog, personally. But I have with my cat, just recently. And my mom and sister have had elderly dogs.
    After the vet check you might want to look into a form of a diaper for her while you are not home. My sister used old undies for one of her dogs when she was in heat. It was funny to see, but it worked.
    They do get old (unfortunately). But she sounds like she is still full of life other than the slowing down and bladder control. You will have to adjust things accordingly for her as she progresses. Like her not getting on the bed. She could hurt herself getting off (or falling off) once she's up on the bed.
    It will be rough on you, but I know you'll do what ever you need to do for Casey. She's such a beautiful girl!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

You have my support, I went through this 2 years ago, with Sassy. She was 10, we did everything we could for the arthritis but it stopped helping, acupuncture, medication...nothing worked after a year. It was the hardest thing I ever had to go through. She peed in her cage everyday until the end, and I could tell she was embarrased and absolutely miserable. "the decision" was probably the most selfless thing I've ever done.

If she still seems happy, then you're fine for now. She's getting older, her joints probably get a little stiff. I would discuss all this including arthritis, piddling, etc. with your vet. Even if arthritis is not in the picture, it seems her joints are a little stiff. I am sure he can give you some ideas on how to help her. I took Sassy for alot of walks going through this time and it did help quite a bit. Don't start thinking about when it will be her time yet, whenever it is you will know, trust me.

Just live in the moment and enjoy the time you have left with her.

Thanks everybody.

I am taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. There are several options which could be causing the accidents. She was diagnosed with a bladder tumor several years ago and has been on Piroxicam to shrink it and keep it shrunk. Up until this point she has had no more issues with her bladder. However, the tumor could have come back so they are going to do an ultrasound tomorrow. Also it could be caused by estrogen levels being too low and they can medicate her for that.

I had this great idea to keep her from being in the carpeted part of my house today. I moved my couch so it was covering the entrance to my living room but facing the kitchen/dining room area so still would be able to jump up on the couch and sleep while I was at work. I didn't think she could get past the couch but the one end must have had a big enough area for her to jump through. Somehow she did get past the couch. She has always been tough to confine to a specific area. She likes the run of "her" house. So, I have to work on that problem some more. If I could keep her confined to the part of the house that is just ceramic tile it would be so much easier to clean up.

I'll update tomorrow after her vet visit.

I know exactly how you feel, my friend. My black Labby girl, Sadie May, turned 13 in april. I am dreading the day that I am without her. I have had Sadie since she was 8 weeks old, and since I was 6 years old, I am 19 now.

She is my BEST friend, and always will be. I swear they are going to have to sedate me the day she leaves. I don't know WHAT I am going to do without my childhood friend.

Please give beautiful Casey girl all my love- she sounds/looks like a very very sweet girl.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

My heart bleeds for you. Louie is now 14 years old. He can no longer jump on the bed and has problems with stairs. He is taking pain killers and anti inflammatories. He is quite lame in one front leg due to arthritis, has lost a lot of muscle control in his back end and is becoming quite picky about eating. Just when my husband and I begin to fear the worst, he suddenly bounces back and wants to play and insists on going for a longer walk. All I can recommend is that you take each day at a time and enjoy the good ones. Try to make sure Casey is comfortable and pain free as much as you can.

Update!!

Good news! Casey's vet did an ultrasound and her bladder looks very good. There is no more sign of the thickening or growth that she had 2 years ago. He was very pleased. She does, however, have a bladder infection which is most likely causing her weakened bladder. He put her on an antibiotic for 2 weeks. He said I should see an improvement in about 3 days. I love Dr. Broskevitch! He is such a nice man, caring and intelligent to boot. I always feel so much better after talking to him.

I wore Casey's kerchief on her to the vet's office that says "The Cat Did It". They all got a kick out of that.

Thanks everyone for your support. I don't know what I would do without my PT friends!

Great news - I'm happy for Casey and you. I'll be thinking of you over the next few days while the medicine takes effect.

Wonderful! It's so nice to know that it's "only" a bladder infection, and not part of her getting old.

Give her a hug for me!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda