Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is my cat so angry now?

Quote Originally Posted by Momto4FemaleFelines View Post
    Thanks.
    I'm against declawing as well. Even before I knew what it really entailed I was against it. Now that I know what it really is, I try to educate people without being mean. If I didn't know what it truly was at one time, I'm sure others don't truly know what it is. Many vets do not explain what the procedure really is. I've experienced from either myself or someone else telling someone what declawing really is, the person becomes appalled that their vet didn't explain it, that they didn't research it and they feel terrible for having declawed their cat and decide they won't do it again. Education in a tactful if not kindly manner is the only way to attempt to change others' outlook on this. I wish it were illegal everywhere as it is in some countries across the pond from the USA.
    I so agree w/this! My good friend had both of her cats declawed (before we met) but those cats have gone to the Bridge and she now has 3 others. When she adopted the first two, I spoke about being against declawing and she said "I've always had my cats declawed and they didn't have any problems" but when I went further on the subject, I made an impact and she now says "Now that I know, I won't declaw" and she hasn't, thankfully. Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to adopt out a cat unless the new owner can decide for him/herself whether or not to declaw. Otherwise, the cat stays caged in a rescue until such time as an agreement can be reached. It's very frustrating.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to adopt out a cat unless the new owner can decide for him/herself whether or not to declaw. Otherwise, the cat stays caged in a rescue until such time as an agreement can be reached. It's very frustrating.
    In other conversations with cat folk, when someone talks of wanting to get a kitten and further goes on to say "and I'll get it declawed", what many do is suggest "adopt a cat from the shelter that is already declawed, don't acquire a clawed cat and declaw it."

In my opinion, true cat lovers will accept that cats come with claws and some damage is to be expected, but they'll also know that with some discipline and teaching, cats can claw what they are supposed to and not your furniture.
    I feel if a person thinks their furniture is more important than a cats toes/feet/claws, they shouldn't have a cat.

And if it isn't going to be outlawed, then it SHOULD be law, and just plain ethical and moral behavior, that vets be REQUIRED to fully explain the procedure and not just take it for granted that every client coming in who wants a declaw knows what it truly entails. Because many don't know and just may change their mind about it if they knew.
    ~~Pat: Mom to (L-R in siggy)Philly, Piper, Molly & Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Momto4FemaleFelines View Post
    [SIZE=3]In other conversations with cat folk, when someone talks of wanting to get a kitten and further goes on to say "and I'll get it declawed", what many do is suggest "adopt a cat from the shelter that is already declawed, don't acquire a clawed cat and declaw it."

In my opinion, true cat lovers will accept that cats come with claws and some damage is to be expected, but they'll also know that with some discipline and teaching, cats can claw what they are supposed to and not your furniture.
    Absolutely, on both points.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

It's not the declawing!

What is it with some of you with automatically assuming that every cat problem has to do with declawing?!? This is clearly not the issue here. She noted that her cat only acts this way WHEN STRANGERS ARE PRESENT. If this had one tiny bit to do with the cat being declawed, it would act that way all the time! We get it, you don't like declawing cats; but don't turn every health issue about cats into something about declawing! How is anyone supposed to get a straight answer on here when some of you people are spouting off about your totally ungrounded theory that their cat's problem has to do with them being declawed? I bet if someone on here said her cat had developed a cancerous tumour, one of you would suggest it had something to do with declawing... "Cat got hit by a car? Oh, that's because of the declawing. Cat got pregnant? Oh, the declawing somehow interfered with your cat's ovaries and made her no longer spayed".
    I'm not saying that certain problems cats have aren't attributable to them being declawed but NOT EVERY PROBLEM A DECLAWED CAT HAS IS BECAUSE OF IT HAVING BEEN DECLAWED!

Ok, I'm done with my rant now and I'll just say that I think this cat most likely had an issue with a stranger at some point, as someone on here suggested - a repair person or else the scent of other animals on a friend's clothing..these are far more likely reasons for the cat's peculiar behavior.

You make some good points, Maximilian - just note that the previous comments are well over 2 years old.

I'll have to look for you in General or somewhere here - would like to know who the kitties are that own you!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    He may have pain as a result of his declawing. I know you cannot go back in time and undo that decision now, but I would recommend against it in the future. Has he been to the vet to check and see if he's in pain somehow? That can cause changes in behavior.

I know you love him, how do you react when he misbehaves now? Have you tried spritzing him with water when he does that? Is there any way you could just, for example, shut him in the bedroom when company is coming over? He may just view visitors as stress, and is acting out.

First and foremost, I'd get him checked by the vet, to make certain there's no sudden underlying medical reason for his change in behavior. I know I get cranky when I'm in pain ...

Once you have ruled that out, then you can work on behavior modification.
    chico was declawed before i got him. i know he misses claws.. i hope that chico doesnt start acting adversely later on because of it. he is really a nice charming kitty who loves everybody when they come over. 20120722.1126

I am also against declawing. Not only is it mutilation, it gives the cat no defense if he or she is an outdoor cat, or somehow gets outside. It also causes problems with using (or not using I should say) the litterbox. Imagine if someone chopped an inch or so off all your fingers.
    I've had cats all my life, and I would much rather have shredded furniture than an unhappy cat in pain. There are ways to stop scratching or any other bad behavior in any animal. All it takes is a little research.

Does he like treats?

I would have all visitors give him treats when they come to visit. Maybe even give them his favorite food to him. He might associate company with yummy treats. Does he have a favorite toy? A feather toy maybe. The company could play with him with it. Just a thought.

When repair people come in my house, my dog goes crazy so I give them Greenies to give to the dog and now she expects treats from the folks coming in... Its pretty funny now, as she goes through their bags and containers of tools, looking for treats!