Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elastic String

Elastic String

Ok my weemer is apparently extremely smart....he opened the desk drawer today while I was at my Dr. appt and when i got home i found the bottom part and the top part of the cat toy he fished out, but the 2 feet of elastic string is missing, I have searched high and low and have a feeling its in his tummy. I called my vet right away and was told to keep an eye on him for bowl movements or if any vomiting bring him in right away and for the BMs I get to check them for string and if I see it hanging from his little tushy not to pull it but also bring him in. I thought I did good by hiding them but seems he's a smart cookie and can open drawers and find them, sneaky little booger he is. Has anyone else had this problem and if there is a blockage how long before he may start vomiting, he knows he was naughty cuz he's hiding out in his kitty condo rather than on my lap where he usually sits. I feel awful about this cuz I have no kids of my own just furbabies and he is the biggest mommas boy of them all.

Worried Sick
    Barb
    Last edited by barbii; 08-10-2009 at 12:48 PM.

I can relate

Barb, we had the same thing happen to us last fall with Chloe. It happened on a Sat evening, I was playing with her with a similar toy, I put the toy down to go check on dinner and within 25 sec my husband called me frantically asking me if I took the elastic off the toy because it was gone. We took her to the ER where they tried to induce vomiting. She did not vomit at the hospital, but she did vomit as soon as we got home. The elastic was chewed but not broken. It took her about a day to recover from the ordeal. We don't have anything with strings, tails, etc in the house. I cut off every bit of string etc off every toy. Yes, pls watch him carefully, if he gets sick take him in right away.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarpaws View Post
    I cut off every bit of string etc off every toy.
    Yes from now on anything with a string will be "fixed" so i dont have to go thru this again....I never thought for a second he would get into the drawer himself as its a big file size drawer so the only way he could have opened it was to get behind it and push it open. Right now hes purring and snoozing, I also gave him a little mineral oil hoping to coax things out. Thank you for your response and I will keep my post updated...I just hope he chewed it in pieces and not as one long piece.

Barb

You are welcome Barb. What a little rascal he is! Yes, let's hope it will go through with no problems. The ER vet and our vet told us to watch for signs of lethargy, depression, lack of apetite, vomiting. Here is hope he'll poop it out with no problems. I just know you will be checking those poopies closely
    Marina

Aweee that wittle stinker.. I feel if he has swallowed then it will pass into poop.. Now my Buttons used to try to eat everthing & she would always pass thru her poop.. Good Luck with your rubber gloves & checking poop..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I had this happen w/a small dog of mine. She ate an entire nylon footie! She passed it, believe it or not, and my vet said not to pull on it. If your kitty doesn't pass it very soon, please get him x-rayed. My vet says that there is no time to waste if there's a possible blockage. Good luck and please keep up posted.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

poo patrol

Well its been 24 hours still no poo poo from him or if he has no sign of string, he's eating normal and still trying to get into the same drawer again but I am one step ahead now all string toys have been de stringed and baby locks are now on all drawers and cabinets...lol. My Vet said it can take up to two days for it to pass so I am still watching. I am hoping that since he is still eating like normal with no vomiting we're safe but if I dont see signs of sting by tomorrow he's going to the vet. Poor kitty hates the dr and tries to bite them so they have to sedate him so I hope and pray it doesnt come to that just so I dont have to stress him out. Thank you everyone for your stories and concern and I will keep you up to date on the "Weemer Poo Patrol"

Barb

Isn't it amazing the things we do for the love of our pets? Poop patrol indeed!
    I've Been Frosted

a little tuna in oil will help get things "moving"

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    a little tuna in oil will help get things "moving"
    I have tried a little mineral oil as the vet suggested but still nothing, I may go get some yummy sardines this afternoon or I will hug it outta him...lol

ughhhh

this is like watching paint dry....I swear this kitty knows I am waiting for him to go to the bathroom and he's holding it just to drive me crazy

houston we have poopage!!!

\0/ yay!!! I caught him in the box grabbed the rubber gloves and we have elastic, I think what saved him was he did not eat it all in one piece he chewed it apart and then swallowed. So I think we're safe now though I dont think it all came out in this box visit so I will keep an eye out some more but I think we're out of the woods....thank you all for your help and well wishes and Weemer says thank you as well and is gonna relax now
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tigger once ate some yarn and we didn't find out until one day he walked in the livingroom with poop still hanging onto his butt. I called my mom over and when she pulled the poop off, a decent amount of yarn proceeded to come out of his butt. I wish that I had a working video camera on me that day because it would of been a good one for AFV. Tigger was fine after that. And for the rest of his life, he didn't eat any more yarn.
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

be very careful when pulling string out of a cat's rear end. If it is a really long piece, it is likely following the many curves and kinks of the cat's intestine. Pulling the string can cause it to "cut the corner" of some of these kinks and cause serious injury

Well glad to hear we have elastic string.. Now wittle baby you better stop eating these strings.. It sure makes your meowmom worry..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>