Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if the internet went down?

Work to help get it back up. The world is too dependent on it for global communication and interconnectedness for it to stay down long, if indeed it ever went down.

I have plenty to do each day that doesn't involve the Internet, but having done Pet of the Day for over ten years now, the day isn't complete without getting a new pet up for people everywhere to enjoy!
    I've Been Frosted

I would be completely lost. I never even want to think about it. If the computer goes down for an hour or so, I am not a happy camper.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

A few years back my computer crashed! I was trying to have it repaired and it became clear I simply needed a new computer.

I was without one for about two weeks. I could not believe the things that I got done during that time. It told me that I spend a lot of time
    aside from work time on the Internet.

Having it go down once in a while can be a good thing. Only problem is it makes a mess for me for my work. Seems my clients want immediate answers by email. It is almost like they don't believe that my internet service was down.

I have had problems in the springtime....

This past spring, my provider was not available to me for about 5 weeks. I did go to Starbucks a couple of time, just to open some emails and nothing else.

It seems that when the sap in the maple trees begins to rise up the tree, the density of the sap does not allow the "dish / internet signal" to be strong enough to reach my house.... I know, it sounds like a bunch of hooey but it is true. The year before, I had them switch my connection to dial up but this year, I have reconfigured my land line and have the lowest charge possible, not allowing any "message units" to call out of the area. So it would be a fortune to call / dialup for only a month.

Anyway, I didn't mind the cut off of the internet. It did have a few unexpected consequences to it......

1. My online banking statements were returned to the sender.... creating a problem with my banking.....because my "email message account was full"........

2. I missed two lunch invites..... a couple of folks just said, I'll see you on Tuesday at 12....and oh well.....

3. I couldn't do any banking on line....real problem, although the money stayed put....

4. Friends thought I had left the country because their messages were returned....due to the mailbox being full, even though I downloaded a couple times mid month.... You'd think they would have CALLED on the phone....but NOOOOOO.

By the way, although I own a cell phone, I seldom use it. It is there for me in the event I have an emergency. I am not fond of talking on any phone, let alone a cell phone. I enjoy long conversations with close friends but will go out of my way to avoid calls not necessary!

I enjoy my privacy and wouldn't want to spend my life on Twitter etc. - letting everyone know the last time I brushed my teeth or what I bought at the store....or where I am going tomorrow morning..... WHO would REALLY cares anyway? I don't get the "let me tell you all about myself in detail" that seems to be so important these days, on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace.

Enough. You might know too much about me right now!

Can I live without the internet? Yes, for a couple of weeks it seems. After that, things begin to shut down around me.
    Last edited by sasvermont; 08-09-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    It seems that when the sap in the maple trees begins to rise up the tree, the density of the sap does not allow the "dish / internet signal" to be strong enough to reach my house.... I know, it sounds like a bunch of hooey but it is true. The year before, I had them switch my connection to dial up but this year, I have reconfigured my land line and have the lowest charge possible, not allowing any "message units" to call out of the area. So it would be a fortune to call / dialup for only a month.
    Your area of Vermont does not have DSL or cable internet? Dang, I couldn't stand dial-up, even though every one of my computers has a modem Just In Case :P.

Island living

There is no cable on the island I live on. It is all dish related, including TV. We have some DSL service but it is limited to those folks on main roads only. We all have lousey looking satellite dishes plastered all over the place..... The telephone lines were run under the water, off the poles mid lake, some years ago. No cable company wants to spend the money to run under the water for so few people.

Money speaks. I laugh when the commercials on TV talk about rural areas getting state of the art internet.... you have to be kidding me.

My cell phone service is horrible too, no towers nearby, thus I have to have a land line.

We also have NO McDonalds, Burger King...... no high school........ on this island..... I think the total population for the few towns on the island is near 5,000. We will be in the dark ages for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by gini View Post
    I was without one for about two weeks. I could not believe the things that I got done during that time. It told me that I spend a lot of time

I bet you had a lot of time to think about that on the long drive from home to work and back again?

Quote Originally Posted by gini View Post
    I too was without the internet when I moved in here. Can't say I got any more done without it than with, perhaps something to do with the fact I'm retired, home all day and lazy. Seriously though, the internet doesn't take me away from anything that needs doing or things I like doing, I'm not on it that much, I just use it like any other tool or pastime, when I need or want to.
    By the way, although I own a cell phone, I seldom use it. It is there for me in the event I have an emergency. I am not fond of talking on any phone, let alone a cell phone. I enjoy long conversations with close friends but will go out of my way to avoid calls not necessary!
    Your a woman after my own heart sas!
    I enjoy my privacy and wouldn't want to spend my life on Twitter etc. - letting everyone know the last time I brushed my teeth or what I bought at the store....or where I am going tomorrow morning..... WHO would REALLY cares anyway? I don't get the "let me tell you all about myself in detail" that seems to be so important these days, on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace
    Again a woman after my own heart though I would separate Twitter from the rest. As I wrote before I do 'tweet' occasionally but never with anything that could be called personal details. I use it mostly to follow others, Steven Fry for one, a very witty gentleman, and I'm also enjoying following and supporting Eddie Izzard on this marathon across Britain for charity.

Well if the internet went down I certainly wouldn't be stuck for things to do, but I would mourn the loss of a useful tool. I love being able to Google those things I half remember. I also think that communication and sharing of information with people from other countries that you would not otherwise know is an amazing benefit.

First I would prob Panic.. Then I guess I could get somethings done..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    darn reggie, i don't wanna think about that! I would probably have to clean my house!

me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    So, what would you do if the internet went down?
    After trying for a few hours to reconnect Ild curl up in the corner for a while.

Either that or take the dogs and the big raft and go fishing.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Spend some quality time with Mike - walk Hank - Clean around the house - Draw - Go out photograph some things... Pretty much stay busy! Of course, I'd freak out at first - I rely on it as it's my communication due to my deafness!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I'd do more cleaning around my condo, watch more movies on tv or dvds/videos, and I'd definitely get more sleep because I'd go to bed earlier each night. I'd also go outside more often.

I do rely on the internet to pay my bills so that would be a major problem.

Since we all seem to agree that we'd do more things such as go fishing, walk the dogs, draw, do photography, etc., why not do them then? We all rely on our computers; that's a given. But do we need to be on them as much and as often as we are? Why not give it a whirl and do all those things that later in life we may regret not having done?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11