Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What would you do if the internet went down?

I spend alot of time on the internet, to be honest, but I can live without if I am busy. If not for stupid "child labor laws" I'd be picking up double shifts at work and all. I do try and stay off, but I can't deny I'm on for at least 4+ hrs a day. Facebook is my main site, if I didn't have it I wouldn't talk to alot of people as much.

"Since we all seem to agree that we'd do more things such as go fishing, walk the dogs, draw, do photography, etc., why not do them then? We all rely on our computers; that's a given. But do we need to be on them as much and as often as we are? Why not give it a whirl and do all those things that later in life we may regret not having done? "

I agree Mary. I actually got rid of cable tv because I spent way too much time watching it. Unfortunately, I replaced it with internet time!
    A few months ago I decided to declutter, get organized and keep the house in some semblance of neatness. I read Sink Reflections and bought a timer. It's made a HUGE difference! I set it for 15 minutes, check email, PT, HP but when the timer goes off, I get off the computer and do something else. Go for a walk, do some knitting, take out garbage. Anything not PC related. I love my timer!
    Claudia

Well Reggie i would survive, but i would miss it terribly especially coming to PT and my friends here,then i would go in to withdrawal , and i don't think i would be very easy to live with lol.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Is that before or after I (and about 12K other techs) spent a couple weeks helping the USPS reconfigure everything to run without a network?

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Since we all seem to agree that we'd do more things such as go fishing, walk the dogs, draw, do photography, etc., why not do them then? We all rely on our computers; that's a given. But do we need to be on them as much and as often as we are? Why not give it a whirl and do all those things that later in life we may regret not having done?
    Let's see ... don't go fishing but I walk the dog, draw, take photos, garden, read, Photoshop, watch tv/dvds, do all the boring housework stuff I need to and use the internet. I love it, would miss it terribly but am no slave to it.

I don't have internet at home. I get a lot done, do a lot of 'projects', read a lot and watch much too much HGTV & DIY.

But I come to work to stay in touch with Pet Talk!

I haven't had internet for the last 12 weeks while I've been at the cabin. It's amazing how much I've accomplished. I have TONS of time for studying, I've done a lot of reading, spent time with Jack, walked a lot. I also spend more time cleaning the house and washing/waxing my car. This Sunday I move to my new apartment for the school year - and I'm going to try really hard to not go back to my old interneting-all-day habits.

It would be hard to be without the internet completely, I still wake up earlier Monday through Wednesday so I can stop in at the library before class.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

My DSL modem carped out on me over the last couple of days and I got a new one today. I am back in DSL bliss.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

My Eve Corp would be mightily annoyed but if the internet went out no one else would be playing so there wouldnt be any competition lol...

Honestly the internet is fun...and I browse around quite a bit but I go on sabbaticals for days at at a time and am fine. Now if it would have gone out a couple of years ago I might have died lol.

I have a lot of games on my computer...I'd probibly play some command and conquer waiting for the internet to come back lol.

If the #$!!@ internet got totally and permanently destroyed I'd be the happiest person on the face of the earth! There's something terribly wrong when businesses and people can't do anything without these despicable computers. They have done infinitely more damage than good. We can no longer know that our personal information is confidential, any hacker jerk can steal our identity, clean out our bank accounts, and do who knows what with information they have no right to. People are always complaining about how poor our educational system is. There's a very easy solution, pull every single computer out of the schools and go back to teaching basics. All we're getting as a result of computers is a generation of non functional illiterates who can't think and have zero social skills. My son is a history major and attended a highly respected university. When it came to term papers, the professors told them any internet research would be an automatic F. Good for those profs!!! I trust nothing off a computer, if information is from the internet, I know it's wrong. This nonsense has gone entirely too far. I'm still devastated that all computers didn't blow up at Y2K like they were supposed to!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    We can no longer know that our personal information is confidential, any hacker jerk can steal our identity, clean out our bank accounts, and do who knows what with information they have no right to.
    If you do research on that topic, you will find there is many, many ways of preventing those types of things.

Technology is neither good nor evil. its how it is used that is good or evil. Governments have started using computers to track people online, track their movements, their information, even tap our connections. I prevent the majority of that by using encryption for most anything I do, but that can be broken.

If you want to do something about it, join a Internet Freedom group. I'm a supporter of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, eff.org .

Cry.

My internet has actually been down for three days. It sucked. I went to bed at 9:00 every night. Sounds nice, but the caveat is that I can only sleep about six hours a night, so I was awake at 3:00 am. Grrrr ....

I am SO glad to be back!

I justify spending every evening on the computer by the fact that I never watch TV, ever.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    If the #$!!@ internet got totally and permanently destroyed I'd be the happiest person on the face of the earth! There's something terribly wrong when businesses and people can't do anything without these despicable computers. They have done infinitely more damage than good. We can no longer know that our personal information is confidential, any hacker jerk can steal our identity, clean out our bank accounts, and do who knows what with information they have no right to. People are always complaining about how poor our educational system is. There's a very easy solution, pull every single computer out of the schools and go back to teaching basics. All we're getting as a result of computers is a generation of non functional illiterates who can't think and have zero social skills. My son is a history major and attended a highly respected university. When it came to term papers, the professors told them any internet research would be an automatic F. Good for those profs!!! I trust nothing off a computer, if information is from the internet, I know it's wrong. This nonsense has gone entirely too far. I'm still devastated that all computers didn't blow up at Y2K like they were supposed to!
    I understand your concerns but what I don't understand is if you hate computers and the internet so much how come you are here and have over four thousand posts next to your name? Genuinely just curious.