Thread: Cat sneezing

Cat sneezing

My little Brie is sneezing a lot more than usual. When I first brought her home she sneezed more than any other cat I've known but her foster mom said she was always like that and not to worry. That was November. She sneezes from time to time and there is usually some mucus with it but she hasn't shown any other signs of illness. Yesterday when I got home from work she was sneezing continually. It happened for about 45 minutes - 1 hour after I got home. There was no mucus or blood, just spray. Once she stopped she seemed fine. Her behavior is the same, she isn't running a fever, she's eating and drinking normally so I'm confused. Last night about 2am she started sneezing again. It lasted over an hour. It's a lot like my friend who is allergic to dairy...she eats cheese then sneezes repeatedly for a little while. The only thing that's changed is a new brand of treats. Can a food allergy cause this kind of sneezing in a cat? The other cat isn't sneezing any more than usual.

Thanks for any advice you can give. Trying to avoid a trip to the vet right now but if we need to go we will.

Dj, Brie and Scutter

In most cases allergies in animals show up as itching rather than sneezing. The sneezing could be anything from a foreign body in the nasal passage to a resparatory infection.

I'd say a trip to the vet is warranted. Keep us posted.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Thanks, Catlady!

I withheld the treats that I suspected might be causing the problems. She did quit sneezing. I don't know if it was the treats or not but my neighbor said the same thing about something in her nose. She suspects my kitty snorted an ant since we get those little black ants from time to time.

Now the problem is that my little girl has a weepy, watery eye. It's clear liquid more like tears. I just wonder if the little boy scratched her eye.

Thanks for the response.
    Dj, Brie and Scutter

my Havoc has an eye that waters a lot from time to time. The vet said the eye itself looked OK and couldn't offer any help with it. However a lot of people I currently work with used to work at vet clinics and one suggested that it was a clogged tear duct. Whenever his eye gets all runny, I just massage the corner of it for a day or two and it goes away.

Although your girl's eye may be a delayed reaction from the previously-discussed allergy.