Thread: could use some help

could use some help

I have a granddaughter that is just a year old and suddenly one of her dogs is having a problem with her
    It seems to be mostly when he is eating. He seems to be getting aggressive and growling at her when he's eating or playing with a bone. I know keeping the dog separated from her when he eats is an idea but they can't always be separated. Is there anyway that we can get the dog used to her when he is playing with his toys or chewing on his bones. They really don't want to consider getting rid of the dog. any ideas besides that are welcome

This forum post may help with your problem.

http://www.terrificpets.com/forum/52352.asp

They simply MUST be apart when the dog is feeding!

Once the dog is given food it has every right to defend it. It has been allowed that food by the leader - the leader has taken what the leader wants - that food is now owned by the dog that has it.

That is a dog rule. You cannot change that rule. Some dogs are very submissive in this area and will give ownership of food back but it is a rule.

I suspect that you are leaving food down for the dog to have free eating?

A dog eats every meal like it's their last, because for all they know, it might be. Since they have that viewpoint, a dog is very protective of their food. If you were eating and someone was bothering you, wouldn't it annoy you? Don't get rid of the dog, growling is just its way of saying that it needs some space. You must separate them!! Hopefully the little girl will learn to leave the dog alone while it eats.

Hope this helps!

Yikes.. last two replies are kind of harsh.

I'd say let the girl feed the dog. She could set the bowl down.. or feed the dog a kibble at a time. The dog should realize that they're below the child in the chain of command. And the dog would also associate the girl with food ( a positive), thus making it like her.

NONE of my dogs.. even the two we recently added.. have issues with me taking their dish once they've started eating. That is definitely something that should be worked on, as it is inevitable that they've be in the same room at the same time.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

It may seem harsh but it is a reality that so very many people are not prepared to accept that children are injured and dogs are destroyed thousands of times a day across the world because the adults around them do not see the risks.

The calmest, friendliest dog can do something "unforgiveable" when the signals are confused.

A dog can be so many things for so many people but for itself it can be only a dog. A dog that understands the basic dog rule of food with a one year old child that does not understand the basic dog rule of food is a recipe for all sorts of nasty stuff happening. If the dog uses it's right to defend the food it has been given by the leader of the pack in a physical way against a lower ranking pack member is it fair to blame the dog for it's actions?

If the child is encouraged to be close up and physical with the dog when it has food or toys that it is known to defend and the child is bitten is it the child's fault?

Surely a one year old child should not be placed in the false position of looking as if they are a leader at feeding time by being in control of any food when the dog clearly has the upper hand if it chooses to challenge?

My strong advice is to keep feeding time low key, let the dog have ten minutes of private time to eat, remove any left over food. Do not allow dog toys to be left lying allowed - they are produced when the dog is left alone or for training sessions.

There is nothing harsh here, just natural and safe practice.

Sorry - a bit of an add on - there is nothing wrong with you group feeding your dogs. You are in charge and the dogs respect you. A one year old has to learn those skills and, in my opinion, should not be encouraged to think that is the way things are - she needs to earn respect too.