Thread: I am hoping some from a rescue can answer my questions

I am hoping some from a rescue can answer my questions

I live in TN and adopted a dog (85lbs.) from a rescue. The first incident was with my 4 year old daughter, the dog bit her nose but I was and still am thinking it was accidental when the dog was attempting to get up on the bed. There were no marks and no skin was broken just a red nose. The second incident was without warning the dog (leashed) lunged at a friends child (a 4 year old) and we are unsure if the dog bit him or cut him with his nail. The child bleed for a few minutes and had a nice cut and a black eye (black eye lasted 5 days). After that I called the rescue and explained the incidents, I think for the safety of my children and the neighbors I am going to return the dog to them. I am just wondering what normal procedures are for a dog that had bitten/attempted to attack a small child seeing how we are not sure if it was a bite but from the actions of the dog it was an attempted attack. Are they going to put the dog to sleep, do they legally have to? Can someone please let me know what might happen to the dog we rescued.

A little more info on the situation

We can not keep the dog if the neighbor files a report or complaint due to the no aggressive dog policy in our lease. Also since the incident with the neighbor's child, anytime the dog sees him outside he wants to go on the attack. The boy has not done anything to the dog to make the dog act this way as the dog has constantly been by my side both inside the house and outside and while outside always on a leash.

Some of what you are asking depends on the rescue's policies.

Some will accept the dog back, label her / him for a "no children" household, and attempt to place her again.

Some will remove the dog from their program and find a rescue which does cope with dogs which can't be around children. The dog will be placed in a boarding facility / kennel until such a rescue can be located; but this usually has a time limit as they can't afford the fees for long.

Have you seen ANY problems with the dog around adults? This will be important when you contact the rescue.

What age are the children the dog has problems with: under age 6, under age 10, this is often the case with rescue dogs, they can't cope with the sudden movements of small ones.

Some rescues do just have the dog PTS.

Policies, their current funing levels, their rate of dogs coming into their program, openings in their foster homes, the specific background of the dog, the dog's age, all these will factor in to the decision.

The rescue group was irresponsible if they did not test the dog for compatibility with small children before they gave him to you.
    I've Been Frosted

As someone who is involved in rescues and i recue pugs as with pugs they have to be evaluated on how they do around children and people as well as other animals in the home.Some can not be placed in homes where there is small children and the same for other animals as some may have to be the only animal and we have even had some that can't be in a home where there are male persons but,all are evaluated first.My one female doesn't really care for small children which i don't have any my son is 23 as my other two are blind and deaf so i have to watch them closely and the other can have his moods also but,being my own i know what i have to watch for as this one may have to be placed in a home with no children and some only do well with oder people it's hard to say but,i would evaluate them well and introduce them to things and be very careful how they would be placed.