Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hagrid is gone. Update #40

Thanks for your prayers.

Hagrid's bloodwork showed an elevated white cell count, but not extreme. The vet is stumped, so he referred me to a clinic about an hour away from here for a second opinion and maybe an ultrasound.

I'm so afraid at this point that some form of cancer might be involved. I'll fight it tooth and nail, whatever it is. I need my happy, goofy Hagrid back.

If you look for the thread on Haggis here, Transfer Factor seems to have eliminated his cancer. He was told he had 2 months....and he is thriving some 8 months later. Exam and blood tests showed no cancer! (The vet had also approved the Transfer Factor).

Here is info (for humans): http://www.transferfactorinstitute.com/Home/Faq

This web page is a little cluttered, but you should be able to ferret out what you need.

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/tf/s/pets.htm

Prayers for Hagrid!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

8/14: Ultrasound shows liver problems.

Hagrid had an ultrasound today and a skin biopsy. The ultrasound showed nodules on his liver, but no way to determine whether it's cancer without a biopsy. The skin biopsy results won't be back for at least a week.

The vet (not my regular vet) wants to dose him with Revolution just in case he has mites of some kind, even though no mites showed up on skin scrapings. I'm going to do some research on that, because I'm not sure it's a good idea to keep loading him up with meds if his liver is in trouble.

He's still coming out of the anesthesia (they had to put him under to do the biopsy), so I'll pick him up in the morning. Still no recommendations on how to relieve his itching--the poor guy just itches all over at this point.

I'm so scared for my sweet boy.

Poor Hagrid. I pray that he can get some relief.
    Is he the type of cat you could bathe? Maybe an anit itch shampoo could help give him some relief until this can be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach View Post
    Poor Hagrid. I pray that he can get some relief.
    Is he the type of cat you could bathe? Maybe an anit itch shampoo could help give him some relief until this can be solved.
    I keep asking the vets whether there's something I can do--something that could be applied to the skin or whatever--and they don't have any suggestions. I don't think Hagrid would be easy to bathe (and I'd have to wait until my water heater gets fixed, because it went out today ), but I'd sure try it if it would help.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that he is so itchy, poor baby. I know that in humans one of the signs of liver toxicity manifests as rashes, itching etc since the toxins are eliminated through the skin. I wonder if this is the reason. Prayers that he will feel better soon.

I'm sorry to hear this. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Nearly out of hope

It doesn't look good at all for Hagrid. I'm completely at a loss.

My poor boy continues to lose weight (another half pound since Sunday). His skin is a mess. He's been back and forth all week to a clinic that my local vet referred me to because they have better testing facilities. So far the clinic has charged me over $ 1,000 without a diagnosis. Today Hagrid couldn't even stand up, so I rushed him to my local vet.

My vet is pretty sure that this is liver related. Hagrid is in obvious pain in the area of his liver. The vet recommended that I get the other clinic to perform a needle biopsy to find out whether there's any possibility that this is a treatable problem.

The other clinic doesn't want to do a needle biopsy. They want to go in surgically. My vet doesn't think Hagrid would survive that, and I don't have the $ 2,000 that the clinic would charge me for the procedure. I'll come up with the money somehow if there's any hope that they might discover a way to treat this, but what's the point if he's not likely to make it through the surgery?

As my vet put it, poor Hagrid looks like he's aged 10 years in the past two weeks. It will damn near kill me to lose him. He's the heart of my feline family, especially now that Kacey's gone. But he's miserable, and nothing is helping. Every vet visit leaves him in worse shape than before.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sure you'll do what's best for him. I'll continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Prairie Purrs

Hi,
    I just read about Hagrid. What a beautiful kitty! I'm wondering why the Clinic with the advanced technology cannot go in and do a guided needle biopsy first before doing a surgery. Do you have a Specialty Hospital nearby, or is this a clinic where they treat critical care animals? A Board Certified Vet would be able to do a needle biopsy and diagnosis. It may be more difficult in a rural area with being near one of the Specialty Hospitals. I know you've spent a lot of money, and I had to do the same before finding the right clinic and Vet. Hugs to Hagrid and you.

My Mac was sent to a Specialty Clinic years ago for a mystery ailment that had him losing weight, not eating or drinking, and my vet wanted his liver checked, also. They, too, wanted to do nothing but an invasive procedure, which I beleived would kill him. They refused to do a needle biopsy, so I left their office with some sub-q fluids and antibiotics. I started force feeding and watering him as well as giving him the meds. Two days later he started eating and drinking on his own and within 4 days he was back to normal! I hate those Specialty Cinics!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

This is so sad to read.

Is there a 3rd place to consult with, and possibly do a needle biopsy?

Has the skin biopsy results come back yet?

Praying for an answer to Hagrid's problems.

Hi,
    I am sorry to hear of both your experiences with a Specialty Hospital and the Vets wanting to do a surgery before a needle biopsy is done. It's hard to think they would do surgery without knowing the diagnosis and before a biopsy. Fortunately, my cat had exceptional care at the Animal Internal Medicine where he finally got treatment, but a second Vet where I took him wanted also to do surgery on him w/out a diagnosis.

To make a long story short, my beautiful 16 year old boy kitty, Tommy, went in for a Senior check-up, and the regular Vet felt a mass in his abdominal area. She unfortunately went in and did a needle biopsy thinking she could get a good specimen. Well, she accidentally got some of his bowel fecal matter mixed in and caused an infection. I think she punctured his bowel, but she told me she did not. He came home terribly ill. I went to a second Vet, and he wanted to do kind of an exploratory surgery which I know would have killed him, as he was so weak and thin. Finally, the thrid place was the Animal Internal Medicine hospital, and it was there a Surgical Vet did an ultrasound and then a needle biopsy and diagnosed it as intestinal lymphoma. Tommy never needed surgery, as it turned out, but did okay for seven months on Prednisolone and some oral chemo. He also had some kidney deficiency and bad arthritis and in the end the cancer just took over.

This sounds so much like what is going on w/my Boo. It's frightening to watch and maddening to try to figure out. Please know that as I pray for Boo I pray for Hagrid and you. (((HUGS)))
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Hi
    It is so upsetting to hear they would not do a biopsy. Did they say why? I agree with the other posts, is there a way you can get another opinion? Hang in there and kisses to your sweet little boy.
    Marina