Thread: Huge lump on my hamsters belly :S

Huge lump on my hamsters belly :S

Hi,

I have just noticed today that my hamster has a huge lump on its side. He doesnt look very well either and he isnt his chirpy self I am very worried about him and have booked an appointment for him at the vets but they cant see him for some while Has anybody elses hamster had this?? It must have come up within 2 days so it was very quick...

please help

stormiebaby xx

Thanks for the great sig ellie!
    Sophie xoxoxo

Quote Originally Posted by stormiebaby View Post
    Hi,

I have just noticed today that my hamster has a huge lump on its side. He doesnt look very well either and he isnt his chirpy self I am very worried about him and have booked an appointment for him at the vets but they cant see him for some while Has anybody elses hamster had this?? It must have come up within 2 days so it was very quick...

please help

stormiebaby xx
    Sounds very much like the tumor Whisk had

Fingers crossed it is just an abscess and not a tumor...

Abscess
    Abscesses occur when a bite, scratch or wound becomes infected and pus forms under the skin resulting in a lump. Often the bite or scratch may go unnoticed. Indeed by the time the lump is noticed the bite or scratch which originally became infected may have healed so it is often difficult to establish whether the lump is an abscess or a tumour.

If a bite or scratch can be seen on the lump then it is almost certainly an abscess. An abscess will require the pus to be drained and a course of antibiotics may be needed to treat the infection and so veterinary treatment must be sought. In extreme cases it may be necessary to visit the vet regularly as the pus may need to removed more than once whilst the infection clears.
    Tumors
    Internal tumours such as those involving internal organs may be difficult to treat but many external tumours can be successfully surgically removed.

A hamster suffering from cancer may develop a hard lump which can increase in size quite quickly. It is often difficult to distinguish between a tumour and an abscess. A tumour may be accompanied by fur loss, lethargy, poor condition or wasting but not always.
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

Thanks ellie, I have managed to get humphrey an appointment at the vets today so I have all fingers crossed. Thank you so much for your help...

sophie xx

Thanks for the great sig ellie!
    Sophie xoxoxo

Will have my fingers crossed for the cute little boy
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

Good luck with everything!

I had a pet rat named Klondyke. Klondyke developed a huge lump in her belly too... The lump got to be so big that you could see a pink thing/ball coming out of her bottom. Even though Klondyke did not seem to be in pain, she would jump around and play with me and the 3 other rats, it still looked very painful. We had to put her to sleep. The vet said it was a tumor.

It is better to bring your hampster to the vet early on and get it removed... then too late.

Good luck with everything!