Thread: Does anesthesia cause future problems?

Does anesthesia cause future problems?

Someone in my family had once read that the certain kind of anesthesia that is used for dental procedures in cats can cause them to develop kidney problems. I had a 14 year old male cat a few years ago that had his teeth cleaned (actually they got me to do this as he was already having surgery for a tumor removal). Then six months later his health just plummeted.
    Now I'm very paranoid to ever have my other kitty's teeth cleaned.

Has anyone else heard about this? My cat is 13 and a half years old and never had his teeth cleaned but eats fine, etc. I just don't know if it's worth taking a risk. He does have a stained, brown colored tooth, or actually the row on one side appears is more stained than the other. Could be he uses that side more.
    Thanks for any thoughts on this, Lori

Lori i have not heard this before, it is news to me, maybe others can enlighten you on the subject, my cat Ash had his dental at 14,but it was then that they found he already had CRF,(Chronic renal failure) did they do pre-blood tests before the dental, because they should have in a cat that old, i would go get some done to make sure he does not have anything going on that you don't know about.

One thing i would strongly advise you on is to get your cats dental done, just make sure they do the blood tests first to see how healthy your cat is, if it needs hydration before the dental, and what kind of anesthetic it needs, if you leave your cats teeth at that age especially or any age for too long they will develop CRF,cats can get that from old age too, but the infections in the mouth gradually go to their organs, so don't be put off doing it please,just take all the precautions necessary as advised by your vet.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I've never heard of CRF being a reaction to anesthetics - but I suppose anything is possible.

I've had lots of cats over the past 30 years, and only one of them ever had CRF. And they all had their teeth cleaned as needed.

I've not heard of this either but I surely hope that there's no basis for it. It's smart to have cats' teeth cleaned because otherwise all sorts of problems could result through neglect, such as gingivitis, which can be painful and some diseases, if left undiagnosed and untreated, can affect the heart and/or brain. I'd still take the risk and have my cats' teeth cleaned but talk to your vet about it if it's really a matter of concern to you. I'm going to ask mine now that you brought it up.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Our cat Norton, who was hyperthroid and a kidney cat, at 17, had a dental, in which several teeth were removed....he did fine....BEFORE the cat goes to the dentist, your vet should do blood work(a general chem and a CBC)to be sure that the cat is OK. Good luck!!

I'd be very interested in hearing what your vet(s) has to say about this, as I'm planning on having Fister's teeth cleaned soon. He is now 13 years old.

Last time I asked about anesthesia, the assistent said they have three different kinds. I really want Fister to have the best one, and as little as possible.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I'm kind of spooked about having dentals done on my boys. I've heard so many scary stories! They are both vetted regularly and have been very healthy. Ming is on amitryptiline for FLUTD, but has been doing well. Mac is getting up there, he will be 11 in February, so I feel I should take him for a Dental exam then. I'm a little worried about this,though.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I was also worried when i took Ash for his dental and Ellie-Mae, even though Ash was 14 and had CRF, he came through it very well,better than Ellie, but then that is another story, it is just the same for humans Anesthetic is a risk for them too, my friend had her kitty of nine years dental done and she reacted to it, and took a long time to come around,however if your cat is elderly or with health issues, they will do blood tests and also use anesthetic that is better for them and hydrate them if necessary, they are very good and take all the precautions necessary, even though i was fearful of the dental procedure too, i am glad i opted to have it done, not having it done can be worse IMO.,with long term health issues arising because of it and not to mention pain for kitty.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

My vet takes a lot of precautions. Pretty much all cats (any age) by default get pre-op blood work; you can opt out if the cat is under 7 and has no known health issues. They also use a heart monitor for all cats over 7, and all diabetic cats. Moby had dental at age 14 and diabetic, and came out fine.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb