Thread: Help with Cat

Help with Cat

I have a cat for the past 2 years he pees in a box but will not poop in one. I have tried keeping the boxes clean everyday. I have tried moving boxes to different places tried all types of litters. I have tried cover boxes and uncovered boxes. Have tried automatic boxes that scoop every time it is used. I have tried using different cleaners when I clean. I have tried putting him in a small place with the box and he will poop just outside it but pee in it every time. I'm sooo frustrated with him. I don't know what to do. He pooped in a box the first 2 months I had him then all of the sudden stopped. PLZ HELP ME!
    Great forum with many topics and everyone is welcome to join ELEMENT/
    http://element.aimoo.com

First, may I say you are a SAINT!!!! Has the cat been to the vet(I imagine he has)? Did the vet find anything? Did the vet say it was behavioural???

Since you say that your kitty poops just outside the litter box, I'm wondering if maybe he faces the opposite direction and hangs his behind outside the box. My Pidge does that every once in a while. Why, I have no idea.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Yes I have taken he to a vet and he said nothing was wrong with him it is behavioral. Did all the things he suggested. Just 2 days ago I saw him in the act of pooping and he was outside the box. It is so weird too he scratched around it when he was done like he was in a box.
    Great forum with many topics and everyone is welcome to join ELEMENT/
    http://element.aimoo.com

Maybe he doesn't like the litter. Have you thought of using Cat Attract litter? It's a little expensive but it's supposedly great for cats w/behavioral issues.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I use tin foil and air freshner

Do you have more than one box? (some cats won't pee and poop in the same box.)

I would pick the poop from where he did it and place it in the litter tray for him to snif and see if he gets the idea where it goes!

I know where you are coming from I adopted a cat and sometimes he'll poop in the box but most of the time he doesn't and he stays in "his room" (the downstairs bathroom) when no one is home and at bedtime. It's much easier to clean up on tile then to have to search the whole house for it. Sometimes he even poops right next to his food!

I've used cat attract litter and it seems to work but really it's just hit or miss! I would just try different litters or maybe a larger box. I've even been using the flower essences "love my litter box". He'll use the box for a week and then goes right back to the floor. He's been diagnosed with IBD so my vet thinks he might associate the box with pain when he poops.

Whatever you do...don't give up. Hey I would much rather have him poop outside the box than pee!!

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach View Post
    Do you have more than one box? (some cats won't pee and poop in the same box.)
    just what I was going to suggest.